losing weight after pregnancy?

Is it more difficult to lose weight after being pregnant? I had lost 43 lbs over the last year by using MFP, hitting the gym and carefully calculating calorie intake. this past august, i got pregnant. I started to gain a little, and had gained about 15 lbs in my 3 months of pregnancy. sadly, our baby did not survive, and i had to have surgery. I was careful with my body for about a month (dr's orders) but have resumed the gym and MFP. I simply cannot lose. It's driving me crazy. Could hormones still play a role? I am so frustrated b/c i had hit my goal weight and now i have so far to go. I feel like i'm starting over. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thanks

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    During my pregnancy i gained 72 pounds.. i was, like you, very frustrated with my body and weight gain. I ended uplosing all theweight bydrinking lots of water and focusing more on diet rather than exercise.you talked alot aboutgoing to the gym.. which is giid.. butwhatare yourcalorie goals? I lost all of the weight and then some :) and youcan do ittoo!

I apologize for my space barissues lol
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    First, I am so very sorry for your loss. And yes, hormones can play a role. I have had 3 consecutive miscarriages my last one was in May, and these pregnancies are when I started to gain, I have never been overweight, but after the miscarriage the weight did not come back off like it did after my healthy pregnancy. The doctor told me that having a miscarriage is no different hormone wise than giving birth. Everything is out of wack and it can take as much as a year for your body to go back to normal. My weight is slowly coming off now. My due date would have been Nov. 25th.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    First of all, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :flowerforyou:
    But yes it can definitely play a role in trying to lose weight. I found that I was eating well every day and exercising regularly for two solid months before the scales started to move, it's very disheartening but as long as you keep going, your body will catch up eventually! I don't know how much I gained in pregnancy because I didn't know my pre-pregnancy weight, but 9 months down the line I am only now fitting into clothes that are smaller than my pre-pregnancy clothes size. It will start to come off, keep going!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    thanks to everyone who replied so far. this is my 4th m/c but the other times, i wasn't trying to lose the weight so i don't really remember how my body reacted. i appreciate everyone's input and i'm sorry for anyone else who has gone through losing a pregnancy. it's been a very difficult few months. i just wish i could see some results from all my hard work! :(
  • So sorry to hear about your loss. As far as losing the weight you just need to be dedicated to a diet and exercise plan. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will not only help with losing weight but it will help heal the pain from the loss. I know for myself I wasnt able to tell I lost weight until a few months down the road because I always looked at myself. It was only till others noticed that I knew it was working.

I found some good advice on the get-thin-again.com website, The recipe book on there made it very easy to stick with my diet because most of the foods were food I already was eating, I just wasnt preparing them the right way for weight lose.

Just keep at it and before you know it, you can others will notice your hard work paid off.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    I am so sorry for your losses. I agree that it could be hormones, but hopefully they will even out soon. Just continue eating healthy with a slight deficit since you don't have a lot to loose and exercise.
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss :-(.

I am in the exact same situation. Our due date was Nov 9th and I did the weight loss easier in preparation of having a baby. It was so much easier. I have been off and on with results but in the end I am right back to where I was during the pregnancy.

I am not sure but perhaps it has to do with a bit of depression and maybe it just takes time to build our minds and bodies back up.

If you would like to connect and share in this process feel free to add me.

Hugs.
  • I'm very sorry for you loss that must have been terribly hard for you =( With my first pregnancy I gained 42 lbs and it took me over 2 years to lose it, no matter what I did. Then with my 2nd I gained 28 and I have already lost all of it and then some. I actually weigh less now then I did before I got pregnant with my 1st son lol but I think it's going to be different for everyone.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss :-(.

I am in the exact same situation. Our due date was Nov 9th and I did the weight loss easier in preparation of having a baby. It was so much easier. I have been off and on with results but in the end I am right back to where I was during the pregnancy.

I am not sure but perhaps it has to do with a bit of depression and maybe it just takes time to build our minds and bodies back up.

If you would like to connect and share in this process feel free to add me.

Hugs.
    I hadn't thought about possible depression. but i'm sure that has something to do with it, too, since depression is chemical. thanks. luckily i don't eat when i'm upset. :)