stupid, stupid treadmill rant

klt1030
klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
So here I am half way through my treadmill workout Wednesday morning when the frame completely shears off the walking/running deck. I had the incline up at 8.5% so it falls in to me and pushes me down on my butt. You know all those silly commercials and you tube skits where people go flying off the end of the treadmill? It really happens. It threw me off the end, I hit the wall, and the frame landed on my head above my eye. I somehow managed to yank the safety key and stop the belt or I would have had belt burns covering the backs of my legs. By the grace of God I wasn't knocked out. I got out from under the frame and sat on the sofa assessing my injuries. Thankfully I only ended up with various grease marks, and a goose egg on my eyebrow. Yesterday and today that goose egg has steadily moved down my face and now I have a very colorful red/purple/black eye, swollen nose, and a bruised forehead.

I can't find any receipts ( but I can find every single receipt from every trip to Target in the same year I purchased the treadmill, GAH!) but I can find the freight bill from the shipping company. I can't remember if I actually sent in the warranty card - I can't find it either. There are stickers all over the treadmill about the frame having a "lifetime warranty". I figured I would at least make the phone call and see what happens. I explain to the support person that I can't find my receipt but do have the shipper's receipt - she said that should be fine and let's open a case. I can not make her understand what part of the frame actually sheared off so she sends me an email which contains the diagram/parts/nooks and crannies of the treadmill. I point out to her which part on either side broke and she responds with "well, since that bolt is a "potentially replaceable" component of the treadmill, it is not considered covered under the warranty. I corrected her by saying that the bolt COMPLETELY SHEARED OFF THE ARM and unless I was a welder, it was not something I could just replace. (Oh and not once did she ask if I was injured) She suggested I take some pictures and send them off to her, she would forward them to quality control, but she really doubted it would be covered and it might be a waste of my time to send them. She also wants to see proof of purchase to make sure I've been the only owner - I remind her that I can only find the shippers bill but it has her company's address as well as mine. Now that's not good enough.
I'm sending them anyway. I'm also sending pictures of my black eye along with it.

The worst part is that it put a dent in my workout routine. I was "getting it done" and felt good about it. I have an old elliptical that I'm using but it's been so long that I've not very fluid on it, so it's making me feel crappy.

The only bright note is my sister's friend is moving and is selling her treadmill for $25, if I come get it. :-)

Sorry for the rant. :explode:
K

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Holy cuss-word!
  • OMG! What a nightmare! Glad you weren't badly injured. Go get that treadmill now!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Good grief!! What kind of a treadmill do you have??
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Wow, thank goodness you weren't hurt worse! Hopefully the photos will wake them up.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Goddam! I once got too close to the back of the treadmill and got thrown off, but nothing like that1

I wouldn't let that one chick tell you it won't be covered. Go up the food chain at that company and cause a stir. Keep going until you talk to the managers manager manager. And at that point if they deny you, then at least you tried!

I hope you feel better...that sux.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    You may want to ask her name and her supervisors name and mention you want to get the names right when you speak to your *family member* who is a lawyer about this :tongue:
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks all for the support! I have not only her name but her email address and plan on sending off the pictures- then I'll see how far up the food chain it goes.

It is/was a Horizon T800 and I really, really liked it. It's just a little more compact now than when I purchased it.

:flowerforyou:
    K
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    If they don't make this right I smell a really tasty law suit.

dang girl, you could have been toast! Sorry about your face, but I'm glad it wasn't worse.
  • Jeck
    Jeck Posts: 8
    As I was reading your post...to the right was an ad for a treadmill....hmmm, think I'll pass...:-) I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Maybe the company will do as they should, especially if they have a pic of the injuries.
    -- and I always thought a treadmill was safer than the highway!--
    Jess
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    WOW! They should totally replace the whole damn treadmill! That is really scary!

I bought a used treadmill last month and now after a couple minutes of treadmilling I will hear a loud POP! and it always scares the heck out of me even though I know it's going to happen.

Now I'm kinda scared to go on the thing!

Good luck to you, I sure hope you get a new one, or at least get it repaired.
This discussion has been closed.