Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

For those that have run in 5k races...

1235»

Replies

• I use music but don't max out the volume. I also sometimes pull the headphones off for the last 1/4 mile since the cheers help motivate me more than the tunes.

I use the Nike Running app which plays the music and also tracks my progress and can be programmed to announce my pace every mile or so which helps keep me on track.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    I only used one earpiece for my first 5k and left the other one out so I could hear. Now, I prefer to run without music. It distracts me. I like to focus on my breathing.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    No - but the last time I ran in a 5k race was 12 years ago.....people were still using CD players.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    I have only used music if I am just running by myself. Not in a race. The races I have done have been too extreme to have anything electronic on you. If you are doing a normal road race and it helps you focus on the race than do it. If not and you are there with a buddy just chat it up and hear the wonderful sounds of out of breath people around you
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    I use mine. I have friends who don't run with music so they don't, but I love running to music... The race organizers have to say they don't recommend it for safety/legal issues. If you want to use music go for it :)
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,046 Member
    No music needed! Its not that long of a run> You can do it! WILL yourself!:drinker:
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    I'm sure that's mainly for liability purposes. However, when I run 5Ks, I'm usually with friends, so I don't use my headphones. We're usually chatting whilst we jog.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I've run in 4 5K races and used headphones/music with every one! Don't know that I could run without it...
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    I typically don't wear headphones training or running races. In road races it's generally easy enough to pass a zoned out runner. If they get clipped by a baby stroller sucks to be them. But I run 90% of my races on trails. It doesn’t seem to be as prevalent in trail races for people to wear headphones but there have been occasions when I’ve needed to pass someone on single track and they can’t hear me approaching from behind or saying “On your left” which can be annoying.

I remember during a training run once in an area known to have mountain lions I had to pass a woman so zoned out in her music she couldn’t even hear me yelling at her. We were on single track on the side of a mountain. She nearly jumped two feet in the air when I had to tap her shoulder. If I’d been a person with intent to do harm or a mountain lion looking for lunch she’d never known what hit her.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    I have to use music when I am running. I absolutely hateeee hearing myself breathing hard. I know it's mental but it makes me feel like I'm running very hard and all of a sudden i feel more winded and tired and I feel myself slowing down. I dont get it but that's what happens lol. A lot of people say they don't use music to get lost in their thoughts, but when I run i dont WANT to think. I'm always thinking, stressing, worrying about something. So when i'm running, I use my ipod to get lost in the music and just stop thinking. I only have used fast paced songs cuz I know I'll run hard and fast to them. I've used them in all my races except for the mud run and I never had a issue. Just my two cents :)
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    This is weird but I always run with music, I hate running without it, BUT during one of my 5ks, my ipod shuffle which I thought was fully charged but was NOT, died about 2 minutes into my race, and I ended up getting my best 5k time on that one!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I listen to my headphones but not at any level of serious volume. They are mostly there because mapmyrun tells me my pace and distance as I go and I don't have to futzing with my phone to find out how fast I'm running and if I need to pickup the pace.

I have my "gym mix 2012" that I listen to while I am running. If the world doesn't end tomorrow I'll have 10 days to put together the 2013 mix.

Never caught any flack for wearing them, even a little.
  • I did, and lots of people do. Just keep the volume at a reasonable level so you can hear if anything is sneaking up on you.

Exactly this.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I typically don't wear headphones training or running races. In road races it's generally easy enough to pass a zoned out runner. If they get clipped by a baby stroller sucks to be them. But I run 90% of my races on trails. It doesn’t seem to be as prevalent in trail races for people to wear headphones but there have been occasions when I’ve needed to pass someone on single track and they can’t hear me approaching from behind or saying “On your left” which can be annoying.

I remember during a training run once in an area known to have mountain lions I had to pass a woman so zoned out in her music she couldn’t even hear me yelling at her. We were on single track on the side of a mountain. She nearly jumped two feet in the air when I had to tap her shoulder. If I’d been a person with intent to do harm or a mountain lion looking for lunch she’d never known what hit her.

^^Definitely!
    In my area, there are a few popular multi-use trails for running or cycling. Last year a young lady was killed when she turned in front of a cyclist and was hit. He was not going that fast and yelled 'on your left' as he approached, but she was wearing ear buds and didn't hear him. She saw a water fountain and headed for it without looking. She paid with her life.

I don't run, but I do ride, and would never ride with headphones. It is just too dangerous. We need to be completely aware of everything around us at all times. I have heard of too many people getting seriously hurt or killed.