At the gym ...

Options
I read that it's better to start my workout session with lifting and at the end finishing up with my cardio workout.

What's your thoughts on this?

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's a good game plan.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    explain your current program and progression plan
    define your goals
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Warm up with 5-10 minutes of cardio then lift then more cardio. That way you'll get the max out of your lifting.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I've done a ton of Googling this questions and both answers seem to be right. It seems to come down to what is going to work best for your body. The suggestion that makes the most sense is to try both ways for a couple of weeks each and see how you feel after each.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i start with cardio so my heartbeats up for lifting
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Do about 10 mins cardio on the treadmill/elliptical/bike, then go and lift. After lifting, do your regular cardio
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I do ten minutes cardio then lift then five or ten minutes of cardio =)
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Yep I run for around 5 - 10 minutes to warm up and then I lift. I then run some more before my cool down :)
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do a 10 minute warm up and lift. If I can still walk/move after lifting I'll do cardio until I'm spent.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Most people will recommend 5 to 10 minutes of light cardio for a warm up, then a few warm up sets with very light weight to get your form down, then your work sets... followed by stretching. Cardio is preferred on non-lifting days, but can be done after.

If you do your main cardio first, You will use all your energy for cardio, and will have none left for your lifting. That can lead to poor lifts, form, and injury.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You can warmup with a few minutes of cardio before you lift but keep any serious cardio AFTER your lifting sessions. Weight lifting is difficult (if you're doing it properly) so you don't want to waste energy doing cardio beforehand.

I actually don't do any cardio. MY lifting sessions keep my heart rate elevated and my diet keeps the fat off. My diet isn't even that restrictive. I basically eat what I want in moderate volume plus I keep carbs low whenever possible. Simple.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Dropping a barbell on yourself is no fun, so the less exhausted you are when you start lifting, the better.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've gone both ways and never had an issue. Dave4d's statement is the one I see most often in support of doing lifting first. That being that if you exhaust yourself with cardio first, your lifting can suffer both in terms of your overall stamina and more importantly in terms of your form.

I used to do cardio first and what I found was that I had to be very focused on form and breathing to get through my lifting sessions. On the flip side, the cardio made for a nice warm up leading into the lifting. I've since switched and now do my lifting first. I can go more intense with my lifts and it's easier to maintain form, however, it does in turn impact the intensity of my cardio session.
  • annasensei
    Options
    I will echo what everyone has been saying... 5-10 minute cardio warmup (my favorite is the rower: 1000 meters in 5-6 minutes is perfect!). Making sure your body is warm is so important for lifting so you don't hurt yourself.

Dependent upon how much I lift on a given day, sometimes I'll do cardio afterwards, but much of the time I'll save cardio for a lighter day.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

You're reducing the potential effectiveness of your weightlifting. Think about the goals of weightlifting vs cardio and how heart rate plays into that
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

i do this.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I've gone both ways and never had an issue. Dave4d's statement is the one I see most often in support of doing lifting first. That being that if you exhaust yourself with cardio first, your lifting can suffer both in terms of your overall stamina and more importantly in terms of your form.

I used to do cardio first and what I found was that I had to be very focused on form and breathing to get through my lifting sessions. On the flip side, the cardio made for a nice warm up leading into the lifting. I've since switched and now do my lifting first. I can go more intense with my lifts and it's easier to maintain form, however, it does in turn impact the intensity of my cardio session.

lol... i'm sorry, this made me laugh so hard, and i really needed to laugh today.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do cardio on non lift days...I warm up with about 5-10 minutes of light cardio and cool down the same...but I leave my true cardio workout for non-lift days.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: