Serious question about my scale...

Options
I recently moved and the floor here is different than my last place (from vinyl flooring to hardwood), and my scale is showing a 3 lb gain difference. I know I haven't gained 3 lbs because I checked the day before the move, and the day after the move.

However, it's been about a week and the number is starting to drive me crazy. I know that I haven't gained weight, but seeing that number above the 140 mark is really ticking me off and demotivating me.

It's an analog scale, so my question is...if you were in my position, would you adjust the scale back three pounds to compensate for the floor adjustment, or would you change your starting weight to 3 lbs heavier so you're still at the same number of pounds lost, just a different number on the scale?

It's going to get too confusing trying to figure out how many pounds I've lost going forward, so I feel like I need to do one or the other.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. :) I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    I would weigh yourself on another scale to see if there is a difference before resetting your analog scale. Have any doctor's appointments coming up? :wink:
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would weigh yourself on another scale to see if there is a difference before resetting your analog scale. Have any doctor's appointments coming up? :wink:

Unfortunately no. :( I don't have health insurance at the moment. I don't have access to another scale, either. :/
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    Also, it would probably be a good idea to start taking your measurements consistently, too, as another form of comparison and progress tracking. That can help put a potentially wonky scale reading into perspective.
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    Also, it would probably be a good idea to start taking your measurements consistently, too, as another form of comparison and progress tracking. That can help put a potentially wonky scale reading into perspective.

I do measure weekly, and I measured today with a 1.5 inch loss. :) It's just the scale that's really bugging me.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Unfortunately no. :( I don't have health insurance at the moment. I don't have access to another scale, either. :/

They have models at stores which you can use.

And I would't recommend having weight be the driving factor for your health.
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    Weight isn't the only thing I'm focused on (I do measure as well), but you have to admit that seeing the scale go up can demotivate a person. I worked so hard to get under 140 (a number I haven't been under in a long time), and now it's right back up there just because I moved and the scale is on a different type of floor. :/

I just want to know whether I should adjust the scale or adjust my starting weight. I'm sure I can't be the first person to experience this problem.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Scales work by measuring the attraction of gravity on your body... If the flooring beneath you is able to flex then you will have your weight change according to the flex of your floor. Some scales can adjust for this and give an accurate reading regardless... Most cannot. The wii fit board does a nice job of adjusting for the surface on which it sits.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    I totally understand. A disappointing scale reading can be a total buzz-kill. (And you're right, I'm sure you're not the first person to have this issue. Hopefully one of them is more helpful than I am!)

Congrats on your weight loss, by the way! Getting under 140 is awesome!
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the scale in other spots around your new place? Are they all reading the same?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Weigh a 5lb bag of flour, make sure the scale says 5 lbs when it's on there, take it off and weigh yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Did the scale get knocked out of calibration in the move? Did you ever check the scale before to see how accurate it was? Your only guessing that it changed, bumping your starting weight or adjusting the scale down 3 lbs doesn't seem like something healthy to obsess about. What is so significant about this 140 number?

The move from a vinyl floor to a wood floor shouldn't affect it. As long as both were a solid surface. Scales get funny on carpet and other soft surfaces.

Place a known weight on the scale to check it's accuracy. A gallon of milk weighs 8.4 lbs, put 2 on the scale and see what it says.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If this number is going to cause you to lose motivation, then reset the scale. I play mind games with myself all the time....lol....and sometimes it really does work!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    different surfaces register different weights.
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    Have you tried the scale in other spots around your new place? Are they all reading the same?

I've tried it all around the room with varying results, but none close to 139, which is what I was at in my previous apartment.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I put a 25lb dumbbell on it to test it occasionally!
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love the tip to weight something where the weight is known then leave the scale there. I believe in accuracy :)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

x2 this.. goto a store and try a scale there to compare.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I put a 25lb dumbbell on it to test it occasionally!

Me too! Especially after I move (I used to move about once a year). I personally feel that you owe it to yourself to be honest and accurate. If your scale was bumped and is no longer accurate, of course you should recalibrate it. If you happened to gain 3 lbs during your move (which is perfectly normal, your routine was thrown WAY out of wack I'm sure) then be honest with yourself and get motivated to lose it again. Just my 2 cents.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    This is like asking your golf buddies if its okay to just kick in the ball when its an inch away from the hole. You just do. Don't ask.
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would calibrate the scale and reduce the 3 lbs.