Sugar harmful to mental health? Sugar addiction

Options
I was on google wondering if sugar withdrawal can cause mood swings/anger issues and came across this...

http://www.holistichelp.net/sugar-addiction.html

depression*
mood swings*
irritability*
depletion of mineral levels
hyperactivity
anxiety or panic attacks*
chromium deficiency
depletion of the adrenal glands
type 2 diabetes
hypoglycemia
obesity*
candida overgrowth
high cholesterol
anti-social behavior such as that found in crime and delinquency
anger control issues*
insomnia*
decreased immune function
aggression*
neurotransmitter deficiencies
high blood pressure
heart disease
asthma
alcoholism
acne
PMS
OCD
fibromyalgia
attention deficit
cancer
binging*
obesity
chronic fatigue*
addiction*
hormone imbalance

This was taken from the article, and I put a * next to the ones that personally affect me. I'm shocked that sugar can cause all of this. Well, some of it makes sense but I didn't know it was soo bad.
I'm going to try to cut out sugar completely to see if it helps my mood/depression as of now. But I'm wondering a few things:
Do artificial sweeteners have the same effect as sugar? If I were to try drinking say Crystal Light or something like that to help with the sugar cravings for the first week or so, would that help or is it the same as consuming sugar?
and
What about natural sugar? Should I cut that out too?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Confirmation bias...
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Confirmation bias...

What do you mean by that?
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Cutting out sugar completly can probably cause a lot of those things as well... I mean come on sugar is in just about everything!
    A lot of those issues I highley doubt are caused by just sugar alone.... a lot of that is psychological and genetics.. but intresting read. :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    holistichelp.net? Really?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    holistichelp.net? Really?

I thought the same.

OP: They seem to throw pretty much everything in that list and most of them are what people in 21st century already suffer from. It's impossible to relate those symptoms to sugar withdrawal. Plus, it's not sugar withdrawal but low serotonin levels. Once you cut the quick sugar fix and start eating more food rich in l-tryptophan (eggs and dairy particularly but we're talking about an amino acid here so overall eat more protein), your body will adapt.
  • dn123
    dn123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    http://balancedbites.com/category/21-day-sugar-detox Check out other threads on the "21 Day Sugar Detox" ...any addiction, be it from sugar cane, honey, bread, pasta, ciggarettes, alcohol or heroin... can all cause similar withdrawl symtoms, depending on the individual. I'm FINALLY starting to see sugar is getting WAY more recognition latley that our species is starting to get a little carried away with it. Sugar overdose/insulin resistance/bloodsugar spikes/hormone imbalances in the body can lead up to a multitude of other symptoms and diseases making it even more difficult for doctors to propperly diagnose their patients. But you're on the right track and trust your instincts! Detoxes aren't nessicarly the best feeling in the world, you know? But baby steps are definitely key...