I hate cardio because I can't do it...... how do I learn?

Options
I've never been patient enough with myself in the past to learn how to push myself cardiovascularly...... what have been some ways people have started? I want to hear the horror stories and the steps taken to progress. Thanks :happy:

Replies

• rhamil3863
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start a cardio fitness program. I like the treadmill since I can add incline to increase my cardio workout. Most newer treadmills have interval training programs.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You just haven't challenged yourself. Get some awsome music and start small. Don't try for an hour. Do 15 instead. Than 20 after a couple days, until you can go for longer periods. You CAN do this!! :)
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Find something you like, try something new. Walk, Dance, Wii, Rollerskate (yes that's right I said rollerskate) :tongue: Or swim! Anything that gets your heart rate up is good for you. :ohwell:
  • myllametal
    Options
    Start slow,baby steps until you get used to it.
    I couldn't go up on the stair machine for 5 minutes when I started. I would get out of breath and stop it, but 2 weeks after I was doing 15 minutes and then a month later 30 minutes.
    You can do it! Just keep trying and don't give up!
  • allyson223
    Options
    Try doing different things while you walk or just do some things to break it up. Such as...

Slow down the treadmill and turn sideways and do squats or just walk sideways
    Walk backwards (really helps if you have back problem, like me :smile: )
    Change up speeds and inclines
    Watch tv (set challenges... like going to jog until next commercial break, or sprints for 3 commercials)
    Listen to music (try to run to the beat of the music, if it's a fast paced song try to keep up)
    Text someone... really it helps, it just takes your focus off the time
    Join an treadmill class and workout with others

Just some things I've tried. Hope I was of some help. Best of luck!
  • nueta1922
    nueta1922 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love to dance with my kids. Put on some great music and dance for15 min at a time. you will work up a sweat.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to start is to try the elliptical trainer or treadmill at the gym because it will give you your heart rate reading. If you can get your heart rate up for five to 10 minutes you should experience a sense of euphoria that will help keep you motivated. It's as if your chest is opening up and you are taking in more air. Start out fairly slowly, say 3.3 mph and 1 degree of elevation on the treadmill. Then gradually try to raise both the mph and the elevation until your heart rate is in the 120-128 range. Try to stay on it a little longer each day as you get used to pushing yourself.
    When I started on the elliptical I could stay on it for no more than about 10 minutes without my legs feeling strange and rubbery. Now I can do 45 minutes to an hour with no problems, and it feels great.
    Another excellent cardio workout is taking a spinning class at the gym. It's usually based on interval training, so you're going at "ride easy" speed for a minute or so, followed by "race" and then by "arrow race," which is as fast as you can go, all set to raucous rock music. It's a lot of fun and a good way to rev up your engine and burn some serious calories.
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I am starting the C25K program tomorrow. :o) It is a program that starts you off slowly to be able to run a 5K. It sounds like a good program. I'm not much into cardio either so I need something structured as well as something that starts out slowly. The first week you do a 5 minute warm up walk then jog for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. Each week it gradually increases :o)

Just remember, find something that you think is fun. You can dance, walk, jog, run, swim, bike, climb, rollerblade (skate), box, anything as long as it gets your heart rate up and you enjoy it. :O)

Good luck getting started !!!!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    my favorite is water aerobics. i've got a bad knee (damaged in college) hard to do much aerobically or running on land, but in the water i can do great.

and it is a great calorie burner. over 500 calories an hour. an instructor helps keep me moving better & harder than if i were swimming on my own.

keep trying different things until you find what works well for you. -katie
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Walking is a great way to start. Gradually increase your speed and your stamina will follow. I also love the Richard Simmons videos. They are easy to do even if you're not in great shape. That's how I got started. Now I'm doing the c25k program. I was able to run 16 minutes last night because it progresses so slow and your stamina increases as you go through the program. Google c25k if you're interested.
  • lesliemurryface
    lesliemurryface Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I'm annoyed that I'm 40, not 20 anymore!!! Patience!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I am starting the C25K program tomorrow. :o) It is a program that starts you off slowly to be able to run a 5K. It sounds like a good program. I'm not much into cardio either so I need something structured as well as something that starts out slowly. The first week you do a 5 minute warm up walk then jog for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds for a total of 20 minutes. Each week it gradually increases :o)

Just remember, find something that you think is fun. You can dance, walk, jog, run, swim, bike, climb, rollerblade (skate), box, anything as long as it gets your heart rate up and you enjoy it. :O)

Good luck getting started !!!!

I did this too and found it was really THE springboard for me to become more active. Before doing the Cto5K, I could handle going on a long walks at either a leisurely or moderate pace. Walking my dogs was the extent of my exercise. Better than being sedentary - but not exactly a cardio challenge. I was actually SCARED of pushing myself to exertion during cardio. (Flashbacks to gym classes, athletic practices that made me run until I wanted to die... I never really mastered it, so believed I just couldn't "do" cardio). So deciding to face that fear was a huge challenge for me.

Cto5K is a structured program, I found a thread on here with other newbies, learned about a great podcast with music and spoken encouragement, and.... I went for it. I can now run/jog 3.1 miles at a decent pace - something I NEVER thought was possible. I have gradually mustered the courage to sprint UP the hills - which really pushes my lung capacity and my comfort zones. Some days I do better than others. Sometimes I think "I sucked today" - other times, I feel like a total badass. :)

Just my 2 cents... but if you've ever had a hidden desire to really break through your own self imposed limits - listen to that voice and go for it. You'll never regret it.
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. It REALLY works!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I'm annoyed that I'm 40, not 20 anymore!!! Patience!!!

I'm 43 but I felt 60. Now I feel like I'm in my 20s again thanks to all of the great workouts I've been doing since November.
  • lesliemurryface
    lesliemurryface Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    where do I find info on the program?
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Leslie,
    I was never a runner. A couple years ago, for some reason I decided to try it. I started out at a pace so slow I probably could have walked faster. I think I only went a mile. Definitely with an iPod - the music helps distract my body from the pain :) From there I just built up soooo slowly, and before I knew it, I could run 2 miles. Just keep it up, taking baby steps, and your body will adapt. I would also try to cross train because running all the time does get boring after a while. Elliptical, rowing, swimming, dancing...anything helps!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Leslie,
    I was never a runner. A couple years ago, for some reason I decided to try it. I started out at a pace so slow I probably could have walked faster. I think I only went a mile. Definitely with an iPod - the music helps distract my body from the pain :) From there I just built up soooo slowly, and before I knew it, I could run 2 miles. Just keep it up, taking baby steps, and your body will adapt. I would also try to cross train because running all the time does get boring after a while. Elliptical, rowing, swimming, dancing...anything helps!
  • Onederland
    Options
    I was the same way 10 weeks ago. I really hated exercise, especially cardio/aerobic workouts. My problem was I didn't find it enjoyable and if your not having fun doing something, you ain't gonna do it for very long.

Finding an exercise that you can do long enough to reach and stay within your target heart rate for at least 30 minutes AND be something you enjoy doing is the key.

For me, it was Nintendo Wii. I have fun EVERY DAY playing Wii games like Walk It Out, WiiFitPlus & Just Dance. I'm burning between 400-600 calories a day, my heart rate is right where it is supposed to be, and best of all, it so much fun, I forget that I'm exercising.

Other's have mentioned rollerblading, swimming, dancing etc....THESE ARE ALSO GREAT IDEAS!
    Basically, ANYTHING that gets you off the couch, gets your heart pumping and is fun to do is a great cardio workout.
    Experiment with different activites and choose the ones that you enjoy the most. Getting into a good pattern or routine of doing daily exercise is important and in time, you will find that you will have more stamina and endurance to do a little more each week.

Start of with small goals, like 15 minutes a day or 1/2 mile or whatever, and then gradually increase these goals as your ability to do more increases.

good luck to you in what ever exercise you choose. :flowerforyou:
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    Leslie -

This link will take you directly to the C25K program breakdown. You can look around on the rest of the site too to get more information and stuff :o) I hope you have fun with it. I love it so far!!! But then I just started hehe :oO)O

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml