Cheese.

Options
I seriously love cheese.. way too much.. and all kinds! Since starting this journey I have been limiting myself, and some weeks cutting it out all together. The other day at a Christmas party I went on a cheese binge ;( It was so good though! I figured I would just call it my cheat day. I actually used to put cheese on everything.. pasta, sandwiches, veggies.. you name it. It is one of the main reasons I had gained 40 pounds! Anyways, just wondering if anyone else can relate to loving cheese this much? I find everyday a struggle not to eat a whole block lol. (I never do! don't worry!) What's your favorite type of cheese?

ps. I have been measuring a serving size of (1 1/4" cheese) as 4 dice pushed together? is this correct?

Replies

• ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I weigh my cheese, so not sure on the 4 dice pushed together thing. I also share your love of cheese...le sigh...it does not agree with weight loss or being on a low sodium diet...

I have turned to laughing cow light cheeses that are spreadable, light string cheeses, and 2% milk cheeses for daily use. When I have the calories, I love to splurge on some fresh chevre, smoked gouda, baked brie, pepperjack, super sharp cheddars, or cheese curds :) I adore having cheese, fruit, cracker, and wine picnics :)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I like the Trader Joe's Low Fat Celtic Cheddar. It has a real strong flavor so I can use just a shaving of it and get my cheese fix.
    1 oz = 70 cal.

I use a kitchen scale for protion control. That's the only way for me to not fool myself. (I remember reading a post about someone who was having a disagreement with his kitchen scale about the size of an ounce of cheese. I could relate.)
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    I weigh my cheese, so not sure on the 4 dice pushed together thing. I also share your love of cheese...le sigh...it does not agree with weight loss or being on a low sodium diet...

I have turned to laughing cow light cheeses that are spreadable, light string cheeses, and 2% milk cheeses for daily use. When I have the calories, I love to splurge on some fresh chevre, smoked gouda, baked brie, pepperjack, super sharp cheddars, or cheese curds :) I adore having cheese, fruit, cracker, and wine picnics :)

I could have wrote this myself! lol I adore a nice spread of wine and cheese. Which is everywhere at Christmas time.
    I too have turned to mostly laughing cow lite.. I find it pretty satisfying!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Cheese lover here also.

I have stopped buying blocks of cheese and only buy the sliced packages.
    Makes it way easier to keep my cheese addiction in check.
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    oohh my goodness i lived for cheese!... any and every kind! but not only was it not good for my mfpness but i get migraines and dairy is one of the culprits (why oh why could they not be triggered by something i never eat like green peppers or something) but anyway now i'm a parmesan/ stilton person.. its so strong so I don't need to eat as much.. maybe that'd work? go for the strong stuff?
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted for sure, if I cut it out, I'm sure I would lose faster. I have cheese almost every day, but not usually for dinner since I cook for the family and one person can't eat cheese.

I am eating more pre-sliced since I track it better that way - I love sliced Edam.

In general I'm not going to compromise and eat low-cal cheese - except that I do like 0% cottage cheese
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...the more cheese the better!!!

I will tell my dirty secret that, one time in high school, I simply melted cheese in a bowl and ate it with a fork. :blushing:

I still enjoy cheese. Laughing cow triangles, a lovely swiss, light mozzarella, beautifully aged grated parmesean, smoked gouda.

I make it work! (Like my wine!)
  • june21112
    Options
    Oh yeah.....Cheese is my one habit I can't kick.

I love plain American cheese and cheddar cheese. Time of month is very hard for me since cheese is the I only thing I crave...I know its weird, most people crave sweets.

Like most others here I have also turned to laughing cow cheese wedges. Great snack esp on some low fat crackers.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar.
    Now there's a cheese you can set your watch to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I love cheese! I pretty much love dairy in general. I've had to cut way back on it though, primarily due to the saturated fats and trying to reduce my cholesterol. I haven't banned it from my diet though...I measure it out and so long as it fits in my macros, my caloric goal, and I'm still at or below my sat fat goal, I go for it.

I used to come home from work and slice off 1/4 Lb (at least) of Tillamook sharp cheddar and wash it down with a pint (yes, a whole pint) of whole milk...every day since I can remember. I obviously don't do that anymore.
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    man i used to inhale cheese like it was going out of style! lately i stick to the light laughing cow wedges and low fat cottage cheese( i know its not really the same). Also I used to love sprinkling shredded cheddar on anything i made but once i realized it was 120 calories for only 1/4 cup serving!!! i switched to using grated parmesan which is only 20 calories for two tablespoons and it also adds a salty flavor which i love.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I live in upstate NY and last Fall I went on a motorcycle Cheese Tour! We toured several farms in the region that make cheese - goat cheese, cow cheese and sheep cheese. They had samples you could taste, and then chunks you could buy. I discoverd that I really don't like goat cheese, but I really like sheep cheese.

The one we went on is the Washington County Cheese Tour - we only went to a handful of the farms. It was a 100-mile ride through the country on a gorgeous fall day and really good cheese
    http://www.washingtoncountycheese.com/tour.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I seriously love cheese.. way too much.. and all kinds! Since starting this journey I have been limiting myself, and some weeks cutting it out all together. The other day at a Christmas party I went on a cheese binge ;( It was so good though! I figured I would just call it my cheat day. I actually used to put cheese on everything.. pasta, sandwiches, veggies.. you name it. It is one of the main reasons I had gained 40 pounds! Anyways, just wondering if anyone else can relate to loving cheese this much? I find everyday a struggle not to eat a whole block lol. (I never do! don't worry!) What's your favorite type of cheese?

ps. I have been measuring a serving size of (1 1/4" cheese) as 4 dice pushed together? is this correct?

You are correct the cheese made you gain the weight since it's dairy, which adults should avoid for health reasons
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I read this and without thinking took the cheese I packed for today out of my lunch bag. Addict much! I still eat it, but in very small quantities. I have a small piece (about the size of the end of my thumb) packed for today. I would definitely feel like I was depriving myself if I gave up my fancy cheese... I just had to learn to control the amount.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I discovered yesterday that Trader Joe's sells cheddar cheese with slivers of dark chocolate in it! Of course I had to buy it. Leave it TJ's to combine my 2 of my favorite things. That and a bottle of wine completed the trifecta of guilty delights!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

You are correct the cheese made you gain the weight since it's dairy, which adults should avoid for health reasons

^^ not this again. Cheese does not make you gain weight, eating a calorie surplus makes you gain. I always find the arguement "for health reasons" amusing because there is no evidence to back it up just a blind statement.

OP- I love cheese too. There is an Amish cheese store where I live and they have a lot of great flavors. Just watch your serving size and make sure it fits your macros.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I discovered yesterday that Trader Joe's sells cheddar cheese with slivers of dark chocolate in it! Of course I had to buy it. Leave it TJ's to combine my 2 of my favorite things. That and a bottle of wine completed the trifecta of guilty delights!

Ooft that sounds amazing!!! We don't have trader joes in the uk. :(
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

OMG I need this.:drinker:

I did stop buying block cheese. I know shredded has other stuff but it is easier to measure. I also get cheese sticks and the Tillamoos (little packaged ones of colby jack or cheddar) and sliced real cheese not cheese food.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I possibly will take the prize for this one, lol... I am french and cheese has always been part of my diet. I have never given it up but I do weight my portions. I love variety but my area does not have a whole lot. I am fortunate, though, because i travel to France on a regular basis to take care of my Dad, not only I indulge there in all kinds, I also bring back a lot.
    Because of my flying status, I am allowed 2 free suitcases every trip i take therefore one suitcase is dedicated to the food I love and cannot find in my part of the country. This last trip (less than a month ago) I brought 30lbs of assorted cheeses and another 15lbs or goodies. I do share the wealth with my kids and a couple of friends who are as addicted as I am. I am going back in February and will do the same. Most cheeses do travel quite well and freeze well so i am always stocked up. Cheese is good for you, like anything else, in moderation.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have a favorite. It depends on my mood.
    I love shaved parmesan to eat plain, I love sharp cheddar on crackers, I love feta in salads.

I'm with ya on the cheese thing, it's awesome and a calorie killer if you let it be.