Do you like your xtrainer/elliptical?

Options
avedon
avedon Posts: 14 Member
I'm *this* close to investing in, or hiring a crosstrainer/elliptical.
I struggle to find time to exercise with my work, so thought this way I could enjoy tv and exercise in the evenings too!

Just wondering for you who have one, how do you find it?
Do you get results? toning, weightloss etc? how often do you use it?

Does it give you *eek* big calves?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
xx

Replies

• LadyLawJHF
    Options
    I have been at my gym for almost 3 months now and primarily use the elipitical for my workouts. I love it because it is easier on my legs and ankles then the treadmill is.
  • DustinWed
    DustinWed Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most of my calories burned doing cardio is done on the eliptical. So I use it nearly every day.
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    I don't own an elliptical, but I work out at a gym that does have them and I LOVE them! When I get a house of my own (and am no longer in college) I am sooooo buying one!

They give you GREAT legs, not bulky ones. When the fat is gone, you will see that you have awesome definition or "tone".. Really, they are awesome.

My parents have one at home and I love putting a movie on and working out while its playing. :]
  • avedon
    avedon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yay, thanks for the response - just what I wanted to hear :-D

Mica - do you find it tones your arms as well or is it mainly lower body?
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I sure like my elliptical. I've had it for several years and it's held up pretty well. I've been using it a lot this year. I've been doing two 45 minute sessions a day. That's how long it takes to watch an episode of STNG on DVD in the morning and evening.

It has developed a noise a couple times and I've been able to correct it so far by tightening the bolts on the runners (or whatever you want to call them). I really like the fact that it's quiet and I can exercise early in the morning without disturbing anyone else in the house.

My built-in HRM doesn't work anymore. It may need a good cleaning to get the accumulated sweat off the contacts. A short wipe with a wet cloth isn't good enough I guess.

My calves haven't gotten huge. I wouldn't worry about it. As a matter of fact, I need to have my left calf catch up to my right. I had ACL surgery last year and the left calf is very noticeably smaller.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to buy one, make sure it's quiet so you can watch tv.