Dumbbell progression

ShottaB
ShottaB Posts: 29
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just recently started working out for the past 5 weeks, and have been using 10 lb dumbbells in my work outs. On Monday I’m going to start using 15 lb dumbbells; I know it’s going to be a challenge, and I’m definitely gona feel the burn.

I was wondering, how do you guys normally progress with dumbbells, 5 lb increments, 10 lb increments?

I was considering doing 5 lb increments, because that seems like a natural progression. I’m hoping in the end to get up to 50 lb dumbbells or possibly even more. If I’m going to progress that high, purchasing dumbbells at every 5 lb increment is going to end up being pretty expensive, and fill up a lot of space.

Do 10 lb increments seem doable, or will that be pushing my body too hard?

I’m planning to start P90X in May, and I’m not sure how the transition will be if I decide to move up to 25 lb dumbbells.

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Only you know your own body and it's capabilities..that being said, I go up by 10lbs at a time for chest/back and legs....5lbs for shoulders and biceps...works for me, i'm at 35lbs as of yesterday, from 30lbs for bicep curls with dumbells and 65lbs when doing standing barbells curls and that was up from 55lbs from two weeks ago...your body will let you know.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,002 Member
    I only own one 20 lb dumb bell. I use it to do curls. I would appreciate any suggestions of other routines I can do with it. Anything for chest, stomach?
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I'll just leave this here.
  • ShottaB
    ShottaB Posts: 29
    Thanks for the link. I'll go through it.
    It has a lot of good information, and links.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I only own one 20 lb dumb bell. I use it to do curls. I would appreciate any suggestions of other routines I can do with it. Anything for chest, stomach?

only one?? lol! makes incline presses odd to do, but can be done. try holding something heavy in the other hand so you don't have a huge gravity pull, then do one armed flies...you can do these on the floor as well if you don't have a bench....try doing some pushups with one hand on the floor and the other on the dumbbell lifting the dumbbelll on the pull up.(straight up like a row) do this on each side, and you'll def feel a burn in your chest...I think maybe invest in another dumbbell..lol
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,002 Member

only one?? lol! makes incline presses odd to do, but can be done. try holding something heavy in the other hand so you don't have a huge gravity pull, then do one armed flies...you can do these on the floor as well if you don't have a bench....try doing some pushups with one hand on the floor and the other on the dumbbell lifting the dumbbelll on the pull up.(straight up like a row) do this on each side, and you'll def feel a burn in your chest...I think maybe invest in another dumbbell..lol

Yea, I think I'll get one more dumb bell before I invest in a bench!
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I'll just leave this here.

That site has good info but its slightly overwhelming for a beginner, this site actually has good breakdowns on various dumbell exercises with animations to show the correct form.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
This discussion has been closed.