Snack (small meal) Ideas

Options
So I've been eating 5-6 small meals a day, with breakfast, lunch and dinner slightly larger in calorie count. But I'm running out of ideas for snacks! Usually I just eat a fiber bar with a string cheese (carbs + protein + fat) or perhaps an apple, but that gets old really quickly.

Perhaps I'm not very imaginative but does anyone have ideas for healthy snacks? If it matters, I am a law student and tend to have very little time at home, so the snacks need to be portable and not spoil when my lunch cooler goes warm throughout the day.

Thanks!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how many times a day you eat or when they are timed. You don't HAVE to eat snacks.

Some ideas: Cut up veggies, fruit, dip, hummus, salsa, popcorn, rice cakes, yogurt, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    50g (about 1/4 of a chicken breast) of grilled chicken.
    1 cup of spinach
    1/4 of a cup of blueberries
    1/4 th of a cup of raspberries
    and a diced carrot.

It's just over 100 calories and keeps me rolling. It isn't a snack, but I don't know if I'd toss it into the "this is a full meal" category. Toss the salad into a tupperware container and roll with it.

I'll do the same thing with a Joseph's pita bread, 2 tablespoons of hummus, and spring mix.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky and cottage cheese and yogurt. Low fat of course.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love love love diced fruit cups in water. Del monte diced peaches - 25 calories, mixed fruit - 45 calories, mandarin oranges - 45 calories, diced pears - 40 calories.

I also like yoplait light and danon light and fit yogurts - 90 and 80 calories.

Other options: hard boiled egg - 70 calories, hummus and celery - 100 calories for about 1/4 cup, fruit bars no sugar added - 40 calories.
  • ArwenP
    ArwenP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love sloppy joes for a light meal. The pre-cooked tub of Manwich with the meat already in it is only 70cal and 3g of fat for 1/4 cup. Pair it with a smart bread choice and you're hitting around the 200cal mark and getting a full serving of veggies in the sauce.

I do the same with Chi Chis tub of shredded beef taco meet which is about 100cal for 1/4 cup. Pair it with a low-fat totilla and some low fat cheese. Yum.

Another good one is broccoli chicken bake. I get the pre-cooked tyson chicken strips, 3oz is 100cal. I put it on a cookie sheet and cover it with a Green Giant single serving of Broccoli and Cheese Sauce then crumble 5 ritz crakers over the top and bake just long enough for the cracker crumbs to toast. Comes to about 220cal total.

You have to cook them all in advance, but they pack well enough and are still pretty good when eaten cold. Or use these to liven up you home meals and save the quicker snacks for when you're on the go.

You can also do sliced meat and cheese roll-ups too. I like Butterball Honey Roasted Turkey Breast (60cal/ 2 slices) rolled with Kraft Big Slice 2% Milk Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar (60cal/slice).
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow these are all great ideas! Thanks everyone :)