had a c-section 6 weeks ago, work outs for "mothers apron"

Options
I just had a beautiful baby boy 6 weeks ago. I got the OK from my doctor last week to start working out this week. The was my 4th c-section ( and LAST!!!). I have the ugly "mothers apron", hanging fat above my c-section scar, that I would love to get rid of. I also want to sculpt my arms and just get more fit. Does anyone know of any work outs I can do? I have P90X that i will be trying, but i want to get back into working out some before I try that.

Thanks!!!

Samantha

Replies

• bee_strong
    Options
    i am in the same boat, for now i'm just walking, tae-bo some nights and taekwondo other nights
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    wow, 4 c-sections...!!! girl, you are good! lol. i had natural births, but i have the pooch (with some added belly fat), so i'm doing turbo fire and weight training. i hear a lot @ clean eating & how its the best way to lose fat... but havent' jumped on that bandwagon yet.
    good luck
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    I had my 3rd(and last c-section) on Sept 10th. I have the same body issue that your having. I'm breastfeeding so I can't restrict calories. I've been walking around the house and dancing with the baby in the carrier for now. I'm also doing Zumba on the connect during nap time. It's kinda helping the 'mothers apron' but more so helping all over. Send me a message or a friend request or something and we can be workout buddys.
  • i have had 3 c sections. the only way to really get rid of it is a tummy tuck. but doing planks will help make it smaller
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but not from csections. I had 2 abdominal surgeries the latest being a hysterectomy a year and a half ago. I would love to get rid of this as well but don't know that there is a way without surgery.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It is fat. Get rid of the fat and it will improve, if not go away completely. I've spent YEARS buying into the whole "work out your abs to get flatter abs, work out your arms to get nice arms" myth. The truth is, if there is fat covering those areas, they will NEVER look as good as you want them to.
    You cannot CHOOSE where your body loses fat and working a particular area won't help the fat magically disappear from that area. The key, as I have learned here, is your DIET. Work to build muscle mass or at least retain what you already have and shed fat. High protein and whole foods, reduce your sugar intake. Lift weights for a sculpted look. Some opt to shed fat first, then try to "tone". Save yourself the time and start weight training NOW so you skip a step. Do a workout you love so you'll stick with it, incorporate weight training(P90X does this to a certain extent) and EAT RIGHT! I wish i had had MFP right out of college. WOuld have saved me YEARS of time in the gym seeing the same results over and over again, but never getting to where I wanted to be. Now I'm on my way:-)
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    also my doc explained to me with my first that they cut through fat, 2 layers of muscle,and tissue to get to the baby during a c-section. when the muscle heals after the c-section it's scar-ed. each layer of muscle is also stretched to get in there,and shifts around. point being is after 3 (in your case 4) c-sections thats a lot of streched,cut,scarred muscle. that will never no matter what look perfect. so my plan is to try and reduce the over-all size of that 'mothers apron" and the rest of my body by reducing how much fat I have. I'll still have the saggy skin lol
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i have had 3 c sections. the only way to really get rid of it is a tummy tuck. but doing planks will help make it smaller

I had vaginal births, but still got that charming "mother's apron" (which is actually a nice name for it). Losing 70 pounds (long after having my babies) just added to it. I ended up getting a tummy tuck. Helps not only with the extra skin but repaired the muscles that were cleaved during my pregnancies. I did all the exercising and it only helped a little.