Any Ladies on an IUD?

Options
Hello MFP World,

So it looks like I'm going on an IUD, but I haven't decided between Mirena (5 years) or Paraguard (10 years). I've been doing a lot of research on both, comprising my pro and con lists, but was wondering if any of y'all can tell me how you liked (or hated!) using one or the other. How did it effect you? Did it make you gain weight or make it harder to lose weight (I've had this problem on other BC)? How was your mental health? Did it make you crazy? Or were you totally normal and happy and exactly the same before you got it? Thanks y'all!

Replies

• pokat302
    pokat302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the Paragard. I LOVE it. Yes, it did make my periods slightly heavier. Not a huge deal. That is the *only* drawback to it. No weight gain, no mental issues, nothing at all like I had on hormonal birth control. I would go with the Paragard over the Minera just because the Mirna has a touch of hormones in it.
  • lillauraseymour
    lillauraseymour Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My sister has the merina and LOVES it. She's never had any weight gain or problems with her hormones.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My opinion - If you choose the iud route, go with the Mirena. For the love of all things NON cramping and relatively pain free. Do NOT do the paraguard. I am on the Mirena now, but was on the paragaurd after having my first daughter. Paragaurd = huge mistake.. We're talking 10 day periods, debilitating cramps, heavy blood loss. On the Mirena my periods are mostly gone, it took 6 months, but even when I was getting them on the Mirena it was light flow, would go away at night, and hardly any cramping.

I do have PCOS, and any IUD I hear can make the symptoms worse, but that's not the case for me on the Mirena, but most definitely WAS the case for me with the paragaurd.

ETA: I have not experienced any weight gain.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've had MIrena for three years without a problem. I don't have a period, which is great, and I have not gained weight since starting it. I have been able to lose weight consistently with expected effort (meaning I don't think it's had an effect). My OB/GYN did suggest at my last check up that she MAY have to take it out in the OR when it's time because she couldn't find the strings so that is a possible con but others I have known to use Mirena have not had this problem. Overall, I love it and plan on having another one when my 5 years are up.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's not affected my weight and it has helped with my moods since I get crazy PMS symptoms. It did make my breasts sore for a few days because of the hormones but once that went away, I was very very happy with it. I've played rugby with it in, gone swimming, and done turbo jam and had lots of fun without having to worry about birth control. I see nothing wrong with the Paragard I just want kids sooner than getting a Paragard would be worth. best of luck with your choice! and go you for making responsible birth control choices!
  • toadkingdom
    Options
    Neither should effect weight. I have paragard for 5 years. I love it. My period has become increasingly irregular - just due to my body - NOT a result of the IUD. So, I will be switching to Mirena -the low dose, really local hormones will help regulate my periods. Also according to my gyn, the FDA is about to approve Mierna for 7 years.
  • dn123
    dn123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have ParaGard and feel SO much better with it! Like any thing (I mean, it's basically like an internal piercing in a sense) it takes you/the body a while to get used to... but if you handle most metals well you should be fine. I did a lot of research on them before I made the decision about a year and a half ago. It's frustrating that ParaGard is the only non-hormonal option of contreception out there (other than abstinence) but that was my main determining factor for choosing it over Merina. Especially if you've ever been on the pill before. Our bodies have SUCH a hard time with synthetic hormones everywhere (in our food [meat/dairy] too) that adding it into contreception just makes us feel even more "crazy." WHICH- I've also been reading about our cycles too (check out http://www.myhormonesmademedoit.com) and once you understand yours, you can actually DO things (diet and lifestyle related) to help balance your own hormones and regulate your cycle better.

So, with the ParaGard I did have major cramps in the begining. BUT, I was also consuming more cafeine and eating things high and sodium and other things you should avoid when starting your cycle if you're prone to cramps. And I did bleed more in the begining. But my body's evening out. Since I've been tracking my cycle and reading about hormones it's really solidified for me that I made the right choice for this point in my life.

I mean, of course everyone has to do what they feel is best for them, but just IMO, our livers have a really difficult time trying to process the things we put in them, especially hormones (some women have risidual traces of the pill DECADES after they stop taking it) it can really mess with you, which if other symptoms occur it can make things more complicated for professionals to diagnose. Also, with Merina it thins the lining of your uterus, so if you WERE looking to reproduce in the future I'm not sure I'd want my uterus to be going through a gradual thinning for an extended period of time. I'm sure your body would recover over a period of time, and I'm sure plenty of women have had healthy babies shortly after taking their Merina out, but like I said, that's just my opinion.

Nobody knows your body better than you! So go with what your gut tells you. Good luck!

http://www.myhormonesmademedoit.com

http://www.cyclediet.com
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i have the mirena and i'm very happy with it. I don't think i gained weight because of it, and since my weight is coming off easily now, i doubt it's having any effect.
    I've had it for 4 years, and I'm starting to get a period again. could be due to weight loss, or my age (45)... I don't know, but i'll get it replaced within a year. love it.
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    I have the Mirena and absolutely no problems physically and mentally. However, my string did fall off so when it's time for it to be removed--I'm going to have to undergo a procedure called a Hysteroscopy where they go in, dialate the cervix, and flush the uterus with some sort of fluid. Given the chance, I would not go with the Mirena again.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and am very happy with it. You need to be prepared for irregular bleeding in the beginning, and this can last for several months. Just have patience! I have had mine for a year now and don't get a period anymore, I love it. The reason why people will sometimes gain weight is because of the progesterone; progesterone can stimulate appetite, so people eat more (hence the weight gain). If you are logging and careful with your diet, you should be fine.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I've had both :)

I much much much prefer the Paraguard for my body. I never do well with hormonal birth control though and have had weight gain issues with both Mirena and other hormonal BC options. I also like that the paraguard can be left in longer, my periods are light and a bit more bloaty/crampy than the Mirena ones but nothing that extra water and a tylenol can't help :)
  • Carrieffa04
    Carrieffa04 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena now but had the paraguard before this. I had the paraguard removed because it caused my period to be crazy heavy. I know this might be TMI but I would have to use a super tampon and a pad at the same time. Sometimes it was a little scary how heavy it was! It would also last for at least 10 days. I had it for 2 years and then couldn't deal with it anymore and switched. I am much happier with the mirena. I still get my period but its a normal flow now. The only thing I dont like with the mirena is occasional spotting.
  • hopeful83
    Options
    Mirena was my birthday present GUI myself just in October. I was warned about the cons, but have had none. The best part, of course, is that I already have a little to no period. No cramping our any type if mood swings. And have not experienced any weight gain.
    Loving it!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    They are both different for everyone.

I had such a horrible experience with Mirena and because of it I'll never put an IUD in my body ever again. A woman at my college can no longer have kids because of her IUD. You should research all options and do what you feel is best for you.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I have the mirena. I hated it at first! I was always cramping, and bleeding heavy. I went back to the gyn and she told me that it could take up to a year for my body to adjust. Its just under a year and now I have no issues.
  • MegKy05
    MegKy05 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the Mirena and I love it! I had some cramping the day of insertion but other than that it's been great. I still get some spotting once a month but no periods. I actually lost weight after starting the Mirena and I have noticed no difference in my moods. I had a lot of issues with birth control pills and forgetting them, the Mirena has been perfect for me.
  • Momto32010
    Momto32010 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had the mirena inserted about a year and a half ago when my youngest child was 1.5. At 124lbs had just fininished losing the baby weight. I was worried about the effect of the hormones since I hadn't been on Birth control in over 10 years. Well the pros are that I had no period at all with Mirena, some spotting but that was it. The cons, I gained almost 15 pounds in one year! Had Mirena removed in September 2012 and now back to trying to get the weight off....
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a Paraguard due to the fact that I got a life threatening blood clot thanks to hormonal birth control. No doctor would come within ten feet of me with a Mirena.

No hormones for me. I'd rather deal with the extra cramping than losing feeling in my leg.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 2 years and I don't like it. I haven't had problems with weight gain/loss (stayed the same) but I have had terrible mood swings and very odd periods. Some months I have a period that lasts one day, other months periods last 1 or 2 weeks. I have cramps off and on for about 2 1/2 weeks a month and get my period about every 3 to 3 1/2 weeks (more often than when I didn't take any BC). I'm planning on getting the IUD taken out soon, I just don't know what to choose as replacement. But I do have to say - it has been the BEST as far as maintenance! I don't have to remember to take pills or anything! In that respect, it is fantastic! LOL
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've had the Mirena since 2010 and after about 6 months I stopped having those horrible periods I was having. I no longer even know when I would be having a cycle. I have lost 85 lbs while on it so weight loss should not be an issue. I absolutlely love, love, love it and will do it again when the time comes. The 10 yr was not available (I don't think) when I had mine put in and I can't really tell that it has hormones (I have never been able to take the pill, allergic reactions) so the hormones are low IMO. It is so great not having a period much less one that prevents you from leaving your house. Good luck! BTW, I have recieved news from my ins co that they are covering more or all of the Mirena starting some time soon, maybe New Years...that's a huge bonus, although I would pay the $600 again in a heartbeat.