Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Am I Going Crazy? Feeling really down

I dont know why but I'm having some major down feelings about this weight loss and myself. can't explain it.. it's not like there's been a day where i've pigged out all day.. but I feel ****ty and it doesn't help that I just stuffed my face with another cup of caramel popcorn that was left out at work. Normal for me I guess because, after a couple weeks, I usually give up on whatever I start (unless it's job or school related). So why can't I beat the mental part of this? I know that weight loss is mostly mental and if I can have a child, go to school, work, and do it all alone then WHY am I having so much trouble with this? I was super upbeat until today and then I just crashed.

I don't mean to be a complainer, I guess I just need other peoples input or to know if anyone else has felt like this. There are so many GREAT people with great success stories and I know that if THEY can do it I can too. My mom has been a part of over eaters anonymous for years (i know some people laugh at the idea) and she keeps telling me to take things one day a time, stay off the scale every week and only weigh once a month, and not obsess.She says that I have to surrender my control over food and when I'm ready for the weight to come off it will come off.

Has anyone else had feelings like this and, if so, did they last long or how did you get over them? Do i sound completely crazy? I'm not sure what to do. My depression might be making it worse, as I'm not on medication. But i need this.. for my health, for my son, for vain reasons, and for my LIFE. You would think that if I knew my eating will eventually kill me, I'd stop.

I'm done rambling now.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Let's see. I feel like this:

1. One or two days every month (hopefully you don't suffer the PMS curse but I do).

2. When I don't get enough sleep, especially for days on end.

3. When my calories are just too low.

4. When my life is just too stressful.
  • anbuckmaster
    anbuckmaster Posts: 51 Member
    I feel the same way. I get discouraged so easily and fast and I just want to give up. I do well for a while but when I don't get the results I'm looking for I give up and I need to stop doing that because I think it's making me more depressed because then I feel like a failure. Start slow with working out until you have a routine (thats what I am trying to establish now), keep eating well, and hopefully we will both feel better! Holidays are a time people fall into depressions, I know because I am going through a down period right now and it's so hard to deal with but you are not alone!!! I hope you feel better soon! :) Keep your head up!
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member

1. One or two days every month (hopefully you don't suffer the PMS curse but I do).

This.

Especially three. I was noticing I was bitter and sad. I was trying to eat 1200 and work out and I'm active in my job. It was just too little and made me feel like I should just give up. Evaluate your goals.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    The only way you can fail is if you give up.... We all make mistakes, we all do things we wish we hadn't. I know this is true for me. I have to accept the mistakes, they've happened. I have to be accountable without dwelling on negativity and self recrimation. Strength is not defined by never falling, it's defined by getting back up again.... over and over. You'll get there, you will! Believe it, own it and keep moving forward.:smile:
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member

Yes, yes and YES. a couple days out of the month I get really exhausted, emotional, etc... Most days are good; but I, too, have those times where it just seems extreamly difficult keep my mind focused on "healthy, happy, Brenda..." and I slump into a pit of negativity.

For me, it helps to pruse over the 'Success Stories' threads... or even go online for tips on how to eat healthy or new exercises. Sometimes - I find that I need to just give my mind a break for a little while... Read a book or magazine, take a hot bath, have a "me" night and dye my hair and paint my nails... Stuff like that really helps me unwind and takes the edge off the fact that I *sometimes* don't think I am where I want to be; weight-wise.

It's worth the effort. It's worth the difficult days. After a bad day, just take care of yourself - and then remind yourself of how much it really is worth all the effort.

Good luck :)
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    I understand the moody day.. the binges that people do. No, I don't quite get that.
    I see it this way. Reality therapy = Are my actions hurting or helping me to achieve my goal?
    Before you put the caramel popcorn in your mouth, or the brownie, or Christmas cookies, etc.. ask yourself that question.
    You already know the answer. Just remind yourself.. and don't, don't , don't let you tell yourself "you don't care" cause you SURE do!
    It's a goal you set our for many reasons... eating crap doesn't get you to that goal. If you're heading to Disney World, you don't purposely take the wrong road.. you take the road that will get you there and no other.
    Stay strong.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    We all feel like this some days. It's just one day (or week), don't give it too much power. : )
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Thanks guys... most of the stuff you've said is what I'd say to someone but sometimes i just need someone else to tell me for it to get through my head. I'm still a little down but not as bad. Thanks for the encouragement :)
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Sorry you feel this way. I know what you mean.

My problem is, I love food. Seriously it's CRAZY how good a huge basket of fresh french fries with salt and ketchup tastes. Or a fresh brick oven pizza.

If only healthy food tasted good and unhealthy food tasted bad. >.>
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member

Yes, yes and YES. a couple days out of the month I get really exhausted, emotional, etc... Most days are good; but I, too, have those times where it just seems extreamly difficult keep my mind focused on "healthy, happy, Brenda..." and I slump into a pit of negativity.

For me, it helps to pruse over the 'Success Stories' threads... or even go online for tips on how to eat healthy or new exercises. Sometimes - I find that I need to just give my mind a break for a little while... Read a book or magazine, take a hot bath, have a "me" night and dye my hair and paint my nails... Stuff like that really helps me unwind and takes the edge off the fact that I *sometimes* don't think I am where I want to be; weight-wise.

It's worth the effort. It's worth the difficult days. After a bad day, just take care of yourself - and then remind yourself of how much it really is worth all the effort.

Good luck :)

All of this for me too. I'm also struggling right now with the winter depression curse. I do believe you can do it! Just give yourself a break, take a deep breath, and refocus.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    I so agree with you that the mental/emotional part of changing eating habits is probably the toughtest part. When my life gets really crazy with stress, then I seem to go back to my old patterns (like a terrible kind of "auto pilot.") and even seem to forget my motivation. Please re-visit your profile page and re-read what you said motivates you.

Personally, I think that those of us living in the northern hemisphere are at a disadvantage this time of year. The long, dark days seem to put us in the basement, mood-wise. Here are my top mood-changers.

1. Exercise.
    2. Having a sustainable eating plan and sticking to it as best I can.
    3. Getting some daylight every day, 20-30 minutes.
    4. Taking supplements.
    5. Remembering that my old thought /behavior patterns are still evolving, and being kind to myself in the meantime.

You can do this! You are so worth it! :D
  • It sounds like your life is super hectic. Way to go keeping yourself together. I don't have any advice, really, because this is a weekly cycle for me. But, just wanted to say I'm impressed, and don't give up. It was a stumble, not a fall.
  • flower607
    flower607 Posts: 13 Member
    Happens all the time, I especially find myself to be extremely critical of myself, and I put myself down a lot! Looking at the negative instead of the positive, instead of being proud of losing 20 pounds, my brain tells me " How did you even manage to gain all that in the first place" .However slowly I've been trying to shift my frame of though so its more positive , be proud of myself for little achievements ( like last weeks of baking my brother red velvet cake, and not even tasting the icing!)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Oh, I used to have terrible SAD every winter. I don't get it much anymore. I think these things have made a difference for me. First, a better diet seems to help. Second, exercise, exercise, exercise. Third, some exercise outside, even in the rain and cold. I just think the fresh air helps. Fourth, exercising at the YMCA because it's well-lit and there are always a lot of great people there. I think the lighting and the positive energy from the others working out there combine with my own exercise endorphins and really give me a lift.

Hope that helps!

Don't let a bad day of eating set you back. Even thin people eat poorly sometimes. They just don't do it every day. You can it with some good eating days and exercise. Flexible dieters tend to be more successful long-term anyway, per various studies.