Weight loss on legs??

Options
Hi all,
I have lost 30 pounds so far and can now notice the weight loss in clothes and photos etc...there is one thing though that is getting me down and that is my legs still look huge!! What do I need to do to change this?? I run and do elliptical each time I workout but there is still no change....Has anyone else had this experience and has it eventually come right? ...guess Im looking for some hope here :) Would appreciate if anyone has any thoughts or comments.

Replies

• HazelChase
    HazelChase Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, what you lose first is what was gained last, but you can help it along by doing exercises such as leg scissors, grapevines, mule kicks, etc. I like to turn the speed down on a treadmill to about 1 - 1.5 mph and walk sideways. It does help a little. Bicycling will also help, as will weight training for the legs. Good luck!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You just need to work on lowering your body fat and it will come off. You can't choose to remove fat from that area unfortunately.

You may just have naturally large legs as well...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Keep reducing your bodyfat: women's bodies tend to hang onto lower body fat because Mother Nature would like you to have a baby every year or two until the menopause, and bodyfat itself releases hormones so interferes with fat distribution. Work on balancing your hormones - consider your method of contraception, eat plenty of fibre to sweep waste hormones out of the body, oily fish regularly for the omega-3s, reduce land animal fats unless you can afford only organic, work on ANYTHING the body finds stressful including poor sleep patterns, be sure you are taking in all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

Don't do the same exercise every time you train, your body gets efficient (= saves calories). Try a Spinning class, Boxercise, circuit training or BodyPump and assuming you are healthy work out HARD - so you are intermittently gasping for air and your muscles are screaming. That will give you the best boost to your metabolism for the next few hours/ couple of days.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You just need to work on lowering your body fat and it will come off. You can't choose to remove fat from that area unfortunately.

You may just have naturally large legs as well...

Ditto this. Also, I lost 30 pounds total and my thighs were the last place to lose inches. As in, they didn't budge u ntil the last 10-15 pounds. Stay the course and you will eventually lose all over. Also, as noted above, some people just have bigger legs by nature. You can lose weight but you can't change genetics. No matter how skinny I have been in my life, even as a scrawny teenager, I was still pear shaped with a good amount of hips and butt. No amount of weight loss will change that.
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will keep going :)
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the large thigh problem too, hoping for the best that it will go down eventually because I am still 40 lbs overweight and I know a lot of it is from my lower body... come on weightloss lol!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My legs are one of the last places to slim down. The first 30 pounds down they hardly shrunk at all but have slimmed down noticably the past 14 pounds. I still have some extra fat on the very upper inner thigh but the rest has slimmed down a lot. I'm assuming the inner thighs will go soon too if I keep it up!
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wish it would hurry nc805397 :D ..... Im looking forward to the next 14 pounds being lost AddieOverhaul coz I am just down 30 so hopefully my legs will start slimming soon...Its great to be able to wear cute dresses but when your conscious of your legs its not very confidence boosting!!