What can I change about my diet?

My cravings keep getting the best of me and I am frequently going over my calories. I will do good on my diet for a few days, binge one day and then become extremely discouraged. I am constantly stuck in these cycles where I lose 5 pounds and then gain it back. Weight loss seems impossible for me at this point. How can I get the motivation to just buckle down and lose all of the weight? My food diary is open, could you look it over and offer any suggestions of what I could change about my diet? How can I be more successful with my weight loss? Any advice helps.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    WHY are you trying to lose weight? You don't look like you need to lose any weight, if you are trying to "tone" up, or become more "lean", dont' worry about weight loss, eat at maintenance, lift weights and stay patience. If you are trying to lose weight because you think you need to, you might have a body image issue....
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Your food diary isn't open.
  • Sorry! I just changed the settings, so now it should be open.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Do you exercise at all?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    WHY are you trying to lose weight? You don't look like you need to lose any weight, if you are trying to "tone" up, or become more "lean", dont' worry about weight loss, eat at maintenance, lift weights and stay patience. If you are trying to lose weight because you think you need to, you might have a body image issue....
    This.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    This.

Is that you now in your picture? You don't look like you need to lose 25lbs.

In regards to your calorie intake...I think you aren't eating enough.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance
  • I run 4-6 miles 5 days a week and do some form of additional cardio/strength training 3-5 times a week.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    You might keep track of your sodium and do you drink diet soda? I found artifical sweetners really drove my cravings. Once I stopped having any at all my cravings went down dramatically.
  • Thanks this was really helpful!
    Yes, that is me in my profile picture. I use to model and I can't at the weight I'm at now, so I really need to lose 20-30 pounds! I weighed around 128 pounds about 6 months ago, but I gained 20 pounds over the summer and want to get back to my original weight.
  • I use a ridiculous amount of artificial sweeteners and salt everything I eat. I didn't know that caused cravings? That could be my problem!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    I would eat more protein, it is supposed to keep you full longer, that way you wont feel like you need to binge. I've been drinking slim-fast type shakes after a workout and that fills me up with only 170 calories.