Need help!! Couch 2 5k

Options
This is for anyone who has done the Couch 2 5k program. I'm on W1D5. I'm into my second week but am still on week one of the program because I still can't do all the runs. I get to the fifth run and feel like I'm gonna die. Please tell me this will get better and that I shouldn't just give up...like I feel like doing. I've always wanted to be a runner but I'm getting really discouraged. Am I just really out of shape and need to give it more time? :frown:

Replies

• Rubes
    Rubes Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! I am doing the same program! I was stuck on week four for about a month before I finally broke through. I think of the C25K more as a step program and less of a week by week program. When you are done with one week and can do it, go on to the next. Take your time and listen to your body.
  • Dhouse
    Dhouse Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't give up! Listen to your body if you are in real pain, but if it's just because you want to end the run, don't do it. This is an excellent way to build up to the 5k. You will be amazed at what your body can do if you feed it right and exercise it properly. You have to tell yourself you can meet the goal set before you...you're not gonna keel over. You can do it. Little bites sometimes work better. Just tell yourself...."I'm gonna make it past the next house, or the next fence post or whatever" and then set another goal after that one, you'll be finished before you know it. C'mon...you've got what it takes to do it.....prove it!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Try a yoga dvd. I've found that it not only helps with my stretching it helps with my strength and my breathing. I think with running its really important to only go as fast as you can breathe normally. If I am struggling, I slow down my pace and I take deeper breaths. Also make sure you're running on as flat a surface as possible. Don't give up. I was in terrible shape when I started but was able to through the first day of week 4 with no problems.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    don't give up! you can do it! i spent 4 weeks on week one and another 4 weeks on week four. the program took me much longer than the laid out 9 weeks to complete, but i am glad i stuck with it. you can do it! :)
    dawn
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    "If you don't want to stop every step of the way, you're not running hard enough". My high school track coach told us that back in the day, and it's stuck with me ever since. Running is 90% mental. If you keep coming up with excuses in your head (and believe me, we all do it) push through them. Only stop if you are done with your interval or you've injured yourself. If you need to catch your breath, shorten your stride (so you're basically running in place) for 30 seconds. But do not give up or stop running.

I know it's hard, I used to be a runner (and state record holder for the 800m) and I've been fighting through injuries and lots of physical therapy since. Only until I recently started C25K about 6 weeks ago have I been able to run for any length of time. Yes, my body hurts and I've fought through a lot of pain but tomorrow I wrap up week 6. I'm running a 5K in 3 weeks along with my sister...who had never run more than 1 mile before she started C25K. it does work and it is worth it.

You can do this. You have to be willing to fight through some pain and your head telling you to stop...but it is possible! Good luck!
  • krissybohaczyk
    krissybohaczyk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I neded that. Great tip about running in place if I'm out of breath, I never thought of that. I'll try that. Thanks again.