Embarrased to go to the gym?

Options
For those of us who are mortified people are watching US at the gym......and we are SURE every person is thinking about our workout...........I will do what I do and tell a story.

When I started at the gym I was 47 yrs old, 170 pounds of dead weight, and was winded going up the stairs to get to the cardio equipment. I mean I literally had to stop at the 20th step to catch my breath.

I used the treadmill, but wouldn't go near the weights or the Eliptical machine. The Elip seemed like a mountain to climb for me.

I had a young hot studly friend who was a trainer there. He came over one day, took me by the hand and lead me to the elip. He told me to start at 1 minute if I must, but I MUST.

So I did my one minute and thought the alarms would go off and the oxygen mask was going to fall from the ceiling like on an airplane!! But it didnt.

I worked up to about 6 minutes over a 2 week period, when one night a young cutie guy came and stood in front of me, waiting for the machine, He apparently thought I would either die or stop very soon.

This really pissed me off so I decided to go until he walked away. Well, the SOB stood there for another 30 minutes, meaning I continued on the Elip for almost 40 min straight............and no they didnt have to call the ambulance!!

As I exited the machine I said to him " HA......you thought you were gonna get a machine quick in front of this fat old lady, huh??!!" in between gasps of breath.....

He looks at me " Hey lady, didnt even notice you, I was waiting for my girlfriend who is working out beside you!"

Moral of the story: No one really cares. If they look at you it is out of boredom.

I spoke with my friend later and he said the guys at the gym always look at the younger girls and say " Man, can't wait to see what she achieves! She's gonna be HOT!" he said about the older or mom kinda women " I can't wait to see what she achieves....she is gonna be HOT!!!"
Guys think with their.............well, they love women let's just say that. If they smirk at you when you are on the machine, ask them if you are doing it wrong-can they help you!!

You need to use the machines, they are there for you!!

Replies

• faerygal
    faerygal Posts: 51
    Options
    Brilliant!!I hope other people read this!:flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Great story! Honestly, most people are there to WORK, and could care less that you're on the machine. They're not looking at you. When I go to gym, I'm too busy watching the TV in front of me (like everyone else), or focusing on getting through an interval. Occasionally I'll check out a cute guy, or peek at the person next to me's machine to see how fast their going, but that's about it. I don't think anyone's there to judge. Just there to work.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    hha I love that story!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just remember all too well that long trek up the stairs. People bursting past me. Me thinking I was an imposter......had no business there.

Now I talk to the trainers.......get corrected if in wrong form..........even ask the guys in the gorilla room if my form is correct!!

When I look at someone I am thinking GO YOU!!!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Great story!!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Fantasic story! I love it. I will have to remember that the next time I go to the gym.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Its true I just started at a gym and I thought the same thing, but I'm at a whopping 349 pds started at 366 and I'm 56 so as you could imagine I thought there would be stares galore. But there's not. I have a friend who joined the same gym before I did and she is afraid every one is going stare at her, she wears a size 12. So when she comes with me she will feel confident eyes will be on me not her. But you know what I don't care I'm there for me not them. And I take the elevator to go up stairs until my knees get better. So don't worry about others just be there for you. Good Luck
  • SexyMrsCarty
    SexyMrsCarty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I Love this story I remember I use to feel like that at the gyms now I don't care but I don't go to the gym anymore I now do Muai Thai kickboxing so I'm sure I look like a fool :tongue: but it's because I am so new and only know about two moves and not well I might add lol:laugh: , but I'm learning and getting healthy at the same time I love it, and the people where I go are so willing to help out when your doing it wrong it's great.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Its true I just started at a gym and I thought the same thing, but I'm at a whopping 349 pds started at 366 and I'm 56 so as you could imagine I thought there would be stares galore. But there's not. I have a friend who joined the same gym before I did and she is afraid every one is going stare at her, she wears a size 12. So when she comes with me she will feel confident eyes will be on me not her. But you know what I don't care I'm there for me not them. And I take the elevator to go up stairs until my knees get better. So don't worry about others just be there for you. Good Luck

hugs girl. I am so proud of you!! look at that before you know it it will be 20 pounds!! WOOT!

If you lived near me I would take the elevator up with you!!

jeannie :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I Love this story I remember I use to feel like that at the gyms now I don't care but I don't go to the gym anymore I now do Muai Thai kickboxing so I'm sure I look like a fool :tongue: but it's because I am so new and only know about two moves and not well I might add lol:laugh: , but I'm learning and getting healthy at the same time I love it, and the people where I go are so willing to help out when your doing it wrong it's great.

Hmm...is that a dvd or a class? my son did karate and they had some killer workouts. no joking on that.

great!
  • SexyMrsCarty
    SexyMrsCarty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No it's a group class it's an hour and a half workout and I never stop sweating but hey I have only been doing it for two weeks get back to me in a months time LOL. Maybe then I will be doing it as fast as the other people who dont even break a sweat until we run LOL.
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I completely agree and wanted to add a few comments.

At most gyms (with the exception of some of the foo-foo ones where people go for a fashion show and not to actually work out) people are there to work and don't pay attention to anyone else around them. They have goals just like we all do and they are there to achieve them.

Many of those working out, even those we think have great bodies, have self-image issues just like we do and may still feel a little emabrrased in front of others at the gym.

Many of those with great bodies started off where we are and did not let their embarrasment keep them locked at home. Now you see the results they worked so hard for.

I work out at a great gym (it's one of the major chains) and I do mostly free wieghts there. When I first started I could not lift much weight but I was in there every day working at it. I got to know many of the "bodybuilder" guys there and I was absolutely amazed by the encouragement they gave me. They would show me new moves that would help me and made sure I was using proper form. Some of them were trainers, some were not. Many of them were my cheering squad when they noticed I had increased the weights I was lifting or could see a difference in my physique. And it wasn't just with me. They did not make fun of or look down on even the much heavier people. Quite the opposite. They were pleased to see them in the gym and making progress. Most people in the gym who are not completely self-centered, are about health and are thrilled to see others learning and trying to be healthy.

So get out there and stick with it. Soon, you will be the one with the great physique that others there admire.
  • LadyLawJHF
    Options
    I sooo wish I could go during the "Normal" hours. I had to join a 24 hour gym because I work swing shift at a prison and I go to the gym at night so that I can go with my husband who works days.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    No it's a group class it's an hour and a half workout and I never stop sweating but hey I have only been doing it for two weeks get back to me in a months time LOL. Maybe then I will be doing it as fast as the other people who dont even break a sweat until we run LOL.

That is perfect! I swear my kids were never as cut as when they did Karate. Muscles find their way to the surface:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I completely agree and wanted to add a few comments.

At most gyms (with the exception of some of the foo-foo ones where people go for a fashion show and not to actually work out) people are there to work and don't pay attention to anyone else around them. They have goals just like we all do and they are there to achieve them.

Many of those working out, even those we think have great bodies, have self-image issues just like we do and may still feel a little emabrrased in front of others at the gym.

Many of those with great bodies started off where we are and did not let their embarrasment keep them locked at home. Now you see the results they worked so hard for.

I work out at a great gym (it's one of the major chains) and I do mostly free wieghts there. When I first started I could not lift much weight but I was in there every day working at it. I got to know many of the "bodybuilder" guys there and I was absolutely amazed by the encouragement they gave me. They would show me new moves that would help me and made sure I was using proper form. Some of them were trainers, some were not. Many of them were my cheering squad when they noticed I had increased the weights I was lifting or could see a difference in my physique. And it wasn't just with me. They did not make fun of or look down on even the much heavier people. Quite the opposite. They were pleased to see them in the gym and making progress. Most people in the gym who are not completely self-centered, are about health and are thrilled to see others learning and trying to be healthy.

So get out there and stick with it. Soon, you will be the one with the great physique that others there admire.

Oh! and at the foo foo gyms they are looking at themselves........why do ya think they have so many mirrors!! :laugh:

I too have found the body builders (gorilla room dudes/dudettes! call it that because ours looks like a cage with a rubber mat!) have always offered help. I was doing squats one time and someone came over to tell me I was going to blow my knees out.......and moved me 1"...dang what a difference!!

Good is found when you are looking for it!