Iron-rich foods

Options
Hello!

I am 22 years old, 5'9" and looking to lose a few pounds. I'm also have iron-deficiency anemia. Looking back at my meals, I notice that I'm not getting anywhere near my iron goals (and being anemic, it probably wouldn't hurt to get around 125 instead of 100). Most days I'm actually pretty near 0 for iron.

So my question is, what are some iron-rich foods that I can start incorporating into my diet? Keep in mind, I have a very limited budget, so anything extravagant is already out.

Thanks friends! Feel free to add me--I'm always looking for motivation!

Replies

• LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Google is great. Here is a list of iron rich foods recommended by WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat yum.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with anemia off and on for a long time (nearly 20 years). I am dealing with it again right now. But, there were times when it was so bad I almost was given a blood transfusion (because I had lost blood), but I opted to work really hard with my diet.

Just some advice that when you eat iron rich foods the absorption issues are important. Vitamin C with the iron helps (I guess because of the acidity). But, eating iron along with calcium and calcium rich foods causes the iron and calcium to bind together and not be properly absorbed. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I have also read that antioxidants can interfere with iron absorption. But, a lot of veggies have iron. So eating veggies is good. If you eat meat, then red meat is the best source because it is heme iron. Having that with veggies that are iron rich and broccoli and tomatoes (for vitamin c) is good.

Wheat and molasses, raisins. Lots of things you can bake into iron rich muffins.

My doctor advises me to try and eat iron twice a day because there is only so much that can be absorbed at one time.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    oysters if they are affordable in your location
  • smithme09
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I could definitely use more red meat in my diet--I know it's a good source of protein as well. And oysters--yum! I'll have to save those for a treat after I have a good week! As for Cream of Wheat--ughhh. I hate that stuff, but my mom was always encouraging me to eat it in high school. Maybe I'll find a good way to make it tasty and give it another try!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Some people recommend cooking tomatoes in a cast iron pan.
  • kairsme
    Options
    I have to watch my iron too, struggle with being bordeline anemic, here's a red cross list:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods

I prefer the natural way too, but you should also consider supplements. If they upset your stomach try to just add them in a few times a week, and don't stop when the fatigue eases, it can take up to 3months to restore iron stores. If you have health insurance, your doctor can monitor your iron levels every few months. I emphathize, getting/staying in shape is hard with anemia--such an energy drain!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I also have iron-deficiency anemia. It's really hard for me to get iron through my food so I just take a vegan Iron supplement :P
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Steak. Lots of steak.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder! Read the labels to find the one with the highest amt. I get half my iron from cocoa powder and chocolate, and the other half form chicken / fish / leafy greens. I almost always hit my iron for the day, and I don't eat enriched foods to do it. You can look at my journal. I tend towards anemia also.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes, cocoa powder. The iron content does differ from one brand to another. Hershey's special dark unsweetened has 10% RDA iron per tablespoon, but cheaper store brands sometimes only have 4% or so. I make a cup of hot cocoa with skim milk, 3 tablespoons of cocoa and sweeten to taste. Very rich and chocolaty with tons of iron. Cocoa powder by itself is also low in fat and high in fiber ;)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    liver!
  • Teachinjen
    Teachinjen Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat yum.

THIS!
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    lentils are full of iron.... there are many varieties out there and many ways to prepare them.... I love lentils!!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Lentils are one of my favorite iron sources--they are cheap and tasty. However, the iron in red meat is the easiest for your body to absorb. Also, if you drink a lot of tea/coffee, the tannic acid will reduce your iron absorption, so you may want to limit those until you are over your anemia.
  • naner61
    Options
    pumpkin seeds, spinach, fresh boiled or ( canned) and molasses. The following is some good information, I give blood so I always try to make sure I eat iron rich foods

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Fresh spinach is pretty cheap and loaded with iron. I eat it with everything. I get a big bag of it at Kroger for less than two dollars. So good for you.