Does anyone exercise more so you can eat more?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you hop on an excercise bike and pedal at a good pace you can drink a beer every 20-25 minutes. This way you can watch a football game, lose weight, and get sufficiently tipsy, all at the same time.

Piece of advice... don't try the same on a treadmill.

Haha! My drink of choice is vodka straight up, though, so even a stationary bike probably wouldn't be a good idea!
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah, do I.

If I know I'm going out for a meal or drinks I'll ensure I fit in a good hard lengthy workout earlier in the day so I can scoff guilt free.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you hop on an excercise bike and pedal at a good pace you can drink a beer every 20-25 minutes. This way you can watch a football game, lose weight, and get sufficiently tipsy, all at the same time.

Piece of advice... don't try the same on a treadmill.

The mental images evoked by this post just cracked me up. Literally made me LOL.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When I'm trying to lose weight, I do tend to work out more so that I can have more food. But when I'm not trying to lose weight, I work out anyway for heart health and being in better shape.
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can't lie- the thought does cross my mind. But the chief driving force behind exercising for me is my refection in the mirror. The definition in my arms, the beginnings of being able to see my abs. WTH!! Toned thighs?! Never thought that I would ever be able to say that about myself. That is the motivation for this girl!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I'm rather surprised only one person said they exercise more to drink more. lol
  • ricanlove85
    ricanlove85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I overindulged then I would exercise a bit more to compensate. No, I do not view exercising as a reserve account to eat more.

I agree with ^^^^^^^^
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tend to exercise more after I've eaten more than I should, to justify the extra eating, which usually comes on what some people call "cheat days"
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't work. Exercise tends to make you too hungry, not necessarily right away but later that day or the next.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm rather surprised only one person said they exercise more to drink more. lol

Seriously! I can't be the only one.
  • Sasanna
    Sasanna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes! That is what keeps me on track. If I crave something not so good ...I workout first and enjoy the payoff :) I slowly lost over 140LBS. So I think it works just perfectly.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    That's what exercise does. Increases your appetite. When you expend energy your body will want to compensate by wanting you to take in energy.
    I maintain with very little exercise. I DO NOT want to rely on exercise to maintain my weight and huge amounts of constant exercise - especially high intensity cardio - is not conducive to long term health (breaking down happens during the activity; gains happen during recovery - I have no interest in keeping my body in constant stress response mode).

Body composition is 80% diet. The other 20% is a combination of genetics and exercise. I play. I get out and I get active. I move. I don't sit (outside of my desk job). But then a high-fat diet has a tendency to make me to move more - its involuntary. If I go overboard on fat then my body compensates by making me hyper and fidgety (a full fat can of coconut milk has me bouncing off the walls within an hour). I get warm (my body increases its thermal energy output). I have to get up and move (even the half and half in my coffee this morning has me bouncing at my desk. And no, it isn't the caffeine - I'm conditioned to caffeine)

Food is fuel. It is not an entertainment source.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    MEEEEE *raises my hand*
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not really, but on occasion I have been known to not want to exercise AT ALL that day but only did so to "earn" some wine! lol
  • AJWriter
    Options
    I plan what I am eating for the day, if it looks like I am going to go over I make sure I definitely go to the gym, and if I know I am going out for a meal then I go to the gym beforehand to ensure I have enough to allow me the treat (especially the dessert). If i Know I am not going to the gym then I control what I eat strictly.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I really only look at it that way when I am going out to dinner, or having a girls night (which usually includes snacks!), or holidays- that way I don't have to think about what I am eating on those days quite as much, though I do still try to limit myself.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do. But it isn't so I can eat a big mac and super size fries. I just can't seem to manage to feel like I'm eating enough at 1200 gross. I would prefer to eat 1800 and do the difference in exercise so I can get a whole sammich not just a slice of ff cheese wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

Just me. It's workin'. Maybe not for someone else. I've lost almost 70 pounds now, so I wouldn't change it up. If it stops workin' I'll examine and reconsider. Might have to exercise less and eat more ;-)

Barb
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Some days I exercise more so I can eat more or have a few. Other days I eat more so I can exercise.

The end result is I was easily able to maintain a 1200 calorie NET while not depriving myself. I now do not fear stairs, hills, or physical labour.
  • ajusteen21
    ajusteen21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Generally no, but if I know I'm going out with friends or have a party to go to I always make sure it's a good cardio day so I can have some room to wiggle in a few drinks or another couple handfuls of pretzels. I mean if this is a lifestyle I'm not going to skip the booze every time I go out, so I need to find a way to balance it all right ;)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Being able to eat up to 2200 calories a day (depending on what exercise I do, most of the time it's not that high) is what makes this whole thing WORK day after day, month after month, year after year. And yes, I mean year after year. I've been doing this for almost 20 months now and likely still have 8 or 9 to go. Netting at a low amount like I do (1200 to 1400 a day) is just NOT enough food without exercising. Food isn't the ONLY reason I exercise, but it absolutely is a HUGE motivating factor for me.