Are you on a weight plateau? or have experienced one

Options
Hi

I am not on a weight plateau, but for those of you who are or have experienced it. When it happens is the amount of

food calories
subtract exercise calories

below your weight-maintenance calorie amount each day? If so, then I can't see why you would plateau, unless you just keep storing
more and more water. If you are just storing more and more water I am guessing there would be a maximum amount of water
you would store, and then you would see the loss from the fat/muscle you loose because of the calorie deficit.

I am keen to hear any peoples thoughts on this, if my thinking above is just wrong, or partially right.

Please let me know.,

Tony

Replies

• cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I'm on my second plateau....

First one was around the month of June....after losing 55 pounds in 6 months.

I broke it by buying a bike and biking like crazy.

This time I have been stuck since September.

And yes, both times I have stayed well below maintenance calories. In fact this one I think is from eating too far below for sooo long.

I went up to maintenance for a few weeks and just dropped down to around 1600 on Monday....hope this gets the scale moving again.
  • shiohashi
    Options
    Hi Cherbapp

Thanks for the reply. That sucks, I wonder why these happen. A plateau since September, that would hurt me physiologically being on a plateau for so long, well done on pushing through it.

I still haven't been on a plateau yet, so hopefully I don't have one.

Can anyone give a explanation of what is happening when he was below maintenance calories and was not losing weight. What then was being used for maintenance calories, I would have though the deficit would have been made up of muscle and fat burn, which would mean weight reduction. Would there have been a build up maybe of water?

Cheers,

Tony
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Two main factors contribute to plateaus:
    Metabolic adaption and muscle catabolism

Metabolic adaption occurs whenever you eat a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time. Your body decreases your metabolism because it sees this as a famine or some other kind of hardship and it doesn't know how long it will last. To fight this it starts rationing. The general advice for getting over this kind of plateau is to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks to reset your metabolism. This probably won't fully reset you, but it will get your body to stop being so stingy with the fat oxidation for a little while. As your body fat gets lower, this process happens faster and so you'll need to do resets more often. At very low body fat percentages, there is a technique known as "refeeding" that basically involves doing a metabolic reset once or twice a week (one or two days of eating at maintenance) to try to stave off metabolic adaptation as much as possible.

Muscle catabolism is kind of the dark side of weight loss. Your body uses both muscle and fat for energy in a calorie deficit and it turns out that muscle is actually more bioavailable than fat. So if your body is really stressed and taxed for energy, it will preferentially break down muscle tissue for energy. As your body breaks down more and more muscle (and you won't replace that muscle while in a caloric deficit), your metabolism decreases. The best way to prevent this kind of plateau is to eat a high protein diet and do whole body resistance training. This basically tells your body that you need that muscle and it shouldn't break it down unless it really really has to. Also, you shouldn't run a huge caloric deficit, eat a very low calorie diet or engage in extreme cardio training while in a caloric deficit (these are all very stressful on your body and encourage catabolism) if you want to preserve your lean body mass and subsequently, your metabolism.
  • MaddiJoseph
    MaddiJoseph Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that a true plateau is on the rate side and is a result of a metabolic shift. Essentially your body thinks you're starving and starts clinging to fat and getting rid of muscle and lower long your metabolism. A day or two of maintenance or slightly above maintainence calories to reassure your body that you're not starving should fix it, and stayin well below can prolong it. So far I've lost about 80 lbs and not plateaued at all.
  • morganhwt
    Options
    This is what I struggle with. I have plateued three times at the same weight, and cannot seem to get below it. The previous two times, I have given up and ended up gaining the weight back, but this time I am determined to get through it. I have increased my workout level and gained lbs, but lost a few inches overall, but no real results, so yesterday, i started a new plan. I decreased my workouts slightly and I am going to eat more. Fingers crossed that this works! I have been on this plateu for 2.5 months.....
  • shiohashi
    Options
    Holly molly! 2.5 months, I wonder how I would cope with a plateau that long.

How much is your daily maintenance kcal amount? your daily diet kcal amount? and how many kcal do you use on average each day for exercise?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's not that simple.

success.jpg
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued since early October (about two and a half months now). I work out 5-6 days a week, burning between 900-2700 calories per day. I do both strength training and cardio, I vary calories and foods, and yet I still don't see losses (and I have plenty to lose - about 90 lbs still to go). I don't think there is a magic answer to any of this. For some people, I think it's just simply more difficult to get our bodies to cooperate. This is my second long-term plateau (the last one was a bit longer than three months).

To those who have said it would be damaging to them to go through this, I will admit it isn't easy to work hard every day and not see results, but I am convinced that at some point my body will have no choice but to cooperate...and if it doesn't, well, I will be the fittest fat person around! :0)
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second plateau....

First one was around the month of June....after losing 55 pounds in 6 months.

I broke it by buying a bike and biking like crazy.

This time I have been stuck since September.

And yes, both times I have stayed well below maintenance calories. In fact this one I think is from eating too far below for sooo long.

I went up to maintenance for a few weeks and just dropped down to around 1600 on Monday....hope this gets the scale moving again.

^ Are you sure it was a plateau? Were you checking your weight loss (pounds), inches, and body fat percentage? Just seems odd that none of those would go down.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Measure and weigh your food. Measure and weight your body. Use several online calculators to ESTIMATE your needed calories for weight loss.

Adjust needed intake based on results monthly.

Ta Da. :drinker:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I plateau more often than not. My TDEE is around 1900 and I was eating 1200 cals a day so I don't think I was feeding my body enough. So I upped my cals and am now waiting to see if there is a change. I plan on having to wait a month or so to actually see anything, since I had done this same thing before and lost 5 pounds in a month.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i hit a plateua for over a month, switched up my exercise and started doing crunches squats and pushups and that helped get it going again
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I got near my goal weight, I hit a 14 week plateau. During that time I would lose a little weight, but put it back on next weigh in. I do a fair amount of strength training, so although my weight didn't budge, I dropped a dress size. I stuck with it, and eventually my weight moved in the right direction.

Judging by my MFP pal's experiences, most people on a long term weight loss journey go through some sort of weight loss stall.
  • freeaman
    freeaman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to do a proper refeeding if you are doing a low carb diet?
  • freeaman
    Options

Metabolic adaption occurs whenever you eat a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time. Your body decreases your metabolism because it sees this as a famine or some other kind of hardship and it doesn't know how long it will last. To fight this it starts rationing. The general advice for getting over this kind of plateau is to eat at maintenance for 2 weeks to reset your metabolism. This probably won't fully reset you, but it will get your body to stop being so stingy with the fat oxidation for a little while. As your body fat gets lower, this process happens faster and so you'll need to do resets more often. At very low body fat percentages, there is a technique known as "refeeding" that basically involves doing a metabolic reset once or twice a week (one or two days of eating at maintenance) to try to stave off metabolic adaptation as much as possible.

Muscle catabolism is kind of the dark side of weight loss. Your body uses both muscle and fat for energy in a calorie deficit and it turns out that muscle is actually more bioavailable than fat. So if your body is really stressed and taxed for energy, it will preferentially break down muscle tissue for energy. As your body breaks down more and more muscle (and you won't replace that muscle while in a caloric deficit), your metabolism decreases. The best way to prevent this kind of plateau is to eat a high protein diet and do whole body resistance training. This basically tells your body that you need that muscle and it shouldn't break it down unless it really really has to. Also, you shouldn't run a huge caloric deficit, eat a very low calorie diet or engage in extreme cardio training while in a caloric deficit (these are all very stressful on your body and encourage catabolism) if you want to preserve your lean body mass and subsequently, your metabolism.

Do you know how to do a proper refeeding if you are doing a low carb diet?
  • modeltypejewelzz
    Options
    Hi, Im on a weight plateau and its been going on for about a month now. I've been working out 6x a week for an hour and I only lost 1lb so far! Somebody please tell me How I can get off this pateau and start losing again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im on a weight plateau and its been going on for about a month now. I've been working out 6x a week for an hour and I only lost 1lb so far! Somebody please tell me How I can get off this pateau and start losing again.

By doing what this guy said.....you have to re-boot. I re-boot every 6-8 weeks.

• freeaman
    Options
    Thanks for that cwolfman13! :)