Does anyone exercise more so you can eat more?

Options

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I would say my primary motivation for exercise is to increase my fitness, muscle tone and strength. Having a few extra calories to play with is a nice bonus, but I would not say that I exercise more so that I can eat more.
  • RavenLoonatic
    Options
    I love love love eating. Junk, healthy whatever, as long as I can eat, I am happy. So I try to burn about 1000 calories each morning to allow myself to eat without having that guilty feeling.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've only exercised more so I can eat more on a couple days due to birthday celebrations. Most of the time I'm trying to plan out what I'm going to eat that day to compensate for the extra calories from exercise so I don't net too low.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm rather surprised only one person said they exercise more to drink more. lol

Seriously! I can't be the only one.

I just assumed by "eating" the OP meant consuming calories, whether it's through liquids (alcoholic or not) or solids.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No, not anymore. I exercise to be healthy and eat enough to be satiated regardless of the calorie count (some days that's 1,000 calories and others it's 3,000 calories). This only works for me if I eat a low carb, whole foods type of diet though, keeping the processed/packaged foods to a minimum -- otherwise my appetite is out of control and I go back to obsessing over when I can eat next and planing snacks all day so I never go more than a couple hours without eating which is a miserable way to live, IMO.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I used to, but not anymore...I eat when I'm hungry and thats it.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah I do. But I've gotten to love the exercise I do, so that's a huge bonus! Problem is, I have a strong urge to overeat on my rest days because I work out pretty hard...my newest challenge.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Not regularly. But if there is a day coming up where I KNOW I'm going to indulge (like Christmas!!) I will make sure to get a good long run in before hand so I don't have to feel guilty about eating some sweets. I also find that if I get in a good work out, I'm less likely to indulge because I can still feel the effects of the work I've put in.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    YES! I love food! :)
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Uhm...... YEAH!! I love food and if I exercise that = more food. No question about it!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I would say my primary motivation for exercise is to increase my fitness, muscle tone and strength. Having a few extra calories to play with is a nice bonus, but I would not say that I exercise more so that I can eat more.

This is me. Diet is for weight loss, exercise for health. If it really comes to it I AVOID working out so I DON'T have to eat more, especially late at night.

I didn't stick myself to MFP's 'recommendations' I did the research and found what was reasonable for my height , age, weight..It's about 1600 calories. That's plenty for me. If I work out I find I struggle to eat because working out does not make me hungry that day - normally it's the next or the third so I carry my deficits over the week normally. I'm about 1200 short for this week but I'm going for dinner tonight so will end up just about in the right spot once I have desert :p
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    iFood is fuel. It is not an entertainment source.

No doubt food is fuel, but it is also kind of an entertainment source. Why else would gourmet cooks do what they do? Why do we savor the most delicious well-made gorgeous food? Because we can enjoy it immensely, and that technically makes it entertainment. Fine food and drink is part of what makes life in general so delicious. So do I exercise so I can eat more -- absolutely! I love food and all the effort, love, and creativity that goes into it. And if exercising more helps me be able to partake more, I'm in!
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    no but like this evening im going to a party and going to drink alc. so spent longer time in the gym today then yesterday so I wont feel guilty.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to do that...and stayed pretty skinny. Until I had to stop exercising...except my hunger didn't magically disappear. And because I wasn't running miles a day anymore I gained 30 f***ing pounds in less than 3 month. Yup, it can be done.

That should tell you all how much I used to run. People thought I was dedicated and I acted the role and acted like a pious righteous exerciser. But in truth I was a glutton.

And when I stopped exercising...I realized I wasn't lucky. I could gain weight at the drop of a hat.

So now I view exercising and eating as entirely separate. I never exercise anymore to eat more. It just leads me (emphasis on me) down a dangerous path that is VERY hard to dig out of. Exercise, especially of the cardio variety ramps up my appetite. I no longer do cardio. Thus I eat less because I am not as hungry. granted every now and then I will eat a bit more but I forego exercising more to burn it off.I want to enjoy exercise.I won't do it as punisment. Since I changed my mindset...much more successful. But, yeah, for me...I won't exercise more.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When we get down to see family in Florida I have full intentions of taking long walks to places I want to eat/drink. For one, I've been stuck in this truck, inactive, for 4 days already... I feel like I'm going nuts. Outside with fresh air in my face will be awesome and I'll be eating calories back, not all of them for inaccuracies, but I'm going to have fun on vacation with extra earned calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES, and so i can drink more too!
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That's the single reason why I exercise lol.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You bet I exercise more so I can eat more. Both eating and exercising make me happy so it all works out just fine.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    Sometimes lol depending on what I have planned for the day!!!
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    EVERY DAY!!!! Twice some days :)