My Exercise Plan.. any suggestions?

Options
Hi, Iv only started dieting two weeks ago and Iv been going to the gym about three to four days a week. I weigh 258lb so Im not really able to run or jog.. I'd just like to give you an example of what I do there, I'm not entirely sure if its enough or two much.. Il include heart rate to be sure
Treadmill. Speed. 5.2kph incline 5% 30 mins (300 calories burned according to machine) Heart rate averaging 170-180
Crosstrainer. Speed- 5-9kph on Level 5 20 mins (200 calories according to machine) Heart rate between 160-180.
Any input that anyone could give would be great as I'm not sure whats the best thing I should be doing! Thanks, T x

Replies

• lalaleche
    lalaleche Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Its a great start! Keep up the good work, you seem pretty dedicated at this point. :smile:
    I suggest you could turn those four days into two 40 minute sessions? Then you could add in a day or two of some weights so your muscle mass doesn't wither away with only cardio being done. That's how i started out about a year ago and lost 70lbs from 221 to 151, hopefully that helps or gives you some input! :happy:
  • JHart0816
    JHart0816 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HI! Your cardio workouts sound great!

I agree with the previous poster that you need to add in some weight training. If you think 4 days is the most you'll definitely work out each week, do 2 days cardio and 2 days strength. Building muscle will help you in so many ways!
  • treasaod
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input! I was put off by the weights when I went there first and thought i should be doing only cardio for fat burn but I will certainly do a day of weights this week and hopefully build on that :) Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input! I was put off by the weights when I went there first and thought i should be doing only cardio for fat burn but I will certainly do a day of weights this week and hopefully build on that :) Thanks!

Definitely the weights too...and remember, your caloric defit is what's burning the fat. Your exercise is burning calories that may or may not otherwise contribute to that fat. I'd also add that if you're set up with a caloric deficit in MFP, you're going to want to be eating most of those exercise calories back. Too big a caloric deficit causes even bigger problems as your metabolism shuts down.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.

Are you psyched?! Is this something you're cool with doing for a while (or at least not dreading it?). If so, go for it. It's as great a start as any. :drinker:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds great. As the weight comes off, things will become easier. Be sure to challenge yourself. A good way to estimate a decent intensity level would be to increase the speed or incline (or both) until you naturally have to breath through your mouth 1 or 2 breaths out of every 4. At this point you'll be at or near your anaerobic threshold. Good nutrition and some activity and you should be seeing the weight drop off pretty quick initially.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sounds great.

Are you psyched?! Is this something you're cool with doing for a while (or at least not dreading it?). If so, go for it. It's as great a start as any. :drinker:

This every bit. As long as you're excited to do it just keep on doing it.
  • treasaod
    Options
    I'm considering getting myself come challenges alright. I don't want my workouts to become something I find boring and repetitive. Iv found speeding things up for 30 seconds and then slowing things for a minute or so to a normal speed of walking is working pretty well for me. Maybe after a few weeks of doing this I can up it to 30s/30s. I also want to start walking 5k per workout and building on that on the days im doing cardio :) Could anyone recomend some excercise I could do at home during the holiday season? My gym is where my university is and its ice ice cold here to be going for walks outside :(
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree on the weight training. I always see people slaving away on the treadmill for 45-60 min but their bodies never change. Granted I have no clue what their diet is like but you can definitely tell the difference between people that just do cardio and those that do both.
  • Ericaalicia0608
    Ericaalicia0608 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm considering getting myself come challenges alright. I don't want my workouts to become something I find boring and repetitive. Iv found speeding things up for 30 seconds and then slowing things for a minute or so to a normal speed of walking is working pretty well for me. Maybe after a few weeks of doing this I can up it to 30s/30s. I also want to start walking 5k per workout and building on that on the days im doing cardio :) Could anyone recomend some excercise I could do at home during the holiday season? My gym is where my university is and its ice ice cold here to be going for walks outside :(

I like to use FitnessBlender.com for my home workouts. They have some videos posted on You Tube too. There are over 100 videos, so I never get bored. :wink: