kind of frustrated

Options
OK so when I go to the gym I end up with all these extra calories and I DO NOT see how I'm supposed to shove another 800+ calories in my mouth... I don't get it. if I was eating food like I used to there would be no problem, I would just hit up BK and get some fries and a chicken sandwich.. but I don't want to eat that kind of food anymore.... any ideas people? I'm kind of at a loss.

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day you can probably try and add more fruits and veggies in your meal. Probably make your food portion a little bit bigger and see if that helps.

It all depends on what you are eating now to begin with, how much calories are you currently allowing yourself to take in now?
  • jschneider360
    Options
    I know the feeling well. Before I started this program I am currently on I ate twice a day only. I am now doing the 40% Carbs 40% Protein and 20% fat diet and I have since learned to eat 5 meals a day at 380 calories a meal for a total of 1900 calories a day. Now at first I didnt want to eat a 4th and 5th meal but after a week or 2 of forcing it down, my body then started to crave those meals. I have been doing the same thing since January 13th 2010 and have lost 33 lbs so far. Now dont get me wrong I put in the work at the gym and I mean I WORKED. 4 times a week minimum at the gym hard. You got to find the right foods to starting filling yourself with and do it more often. Get fast food out of your head completely! The only fast food that is ok to eat is Subway, and thats it..period. I'm no master at this whole diet thing but I started reading labels, using this wonderful site, and exercising and I havent looked back since. Frustration will happen..alot. Just hang in there and stay strong...
  • jordan_vakil
    Options
    I eat around 1300.. but when I go to the gym I usually burn around 500 calories. So should I eat my exercise calories or just stick to eating around 1300? I am trying to revamp my whole life and completely change my eating habits. I do not drink soda anymore, I stay away from fried foods, limit bread... so I am finally beginning to enjoy drinking only water and juice and eating fruits and veggies and good stuff....
    But I still can't make it to all those calores, I mean I guess I could... but I would be eating bad foods.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Proteins and good fats are easy ways to grab the calories back. I've always eaten protein post-work out to help my muscles heal.

Apple or banana and peanut butter. Greek yogurt (if you aren't already into it, it can take some getting used to. My fav brand is the Stoneyfield Farm organic "oikos"). Protein shake made with low fat milk.

And on a side note, if you are basing your workout calorie deficit from MFP, it can over estimate. It'll tell me like 900cals when really I probably burned about 400-500.
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    Look into meal replacement shakes/protein shakes. You can easily mix one of these bad boys up, add some bananas or whatever and easily add back 400 calories with something that tastes good. Just an idea if you are having trouble eating them!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat all of your exercise calories. In fact, if you don't feel hungry after exercising, don't! Listen to your body. Eat your alotted calories for the day (no less than 1200) and call it good.....unless you feel hungry that is. High fiber and high protein foods keep you fuller longer, so you may just not need to eat back your exercise calories.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1300.. but when I go to the gym I usually burn around 500 calories. So should I eat my exercise calories or just stick to eating around 1300? I am trying to revamp my whole life and completely change my eating habits. I do not drink soda anymore, I stay away from fried foods, limit bread... so I am finally beginning to enjoy drinking only water and juice and eating fruits and veggies and good stuff....
    But I still can't make it to all those calores, I mean I guess I could... but I would be eating bad foods.

There's a lot of debate on here about eating your workout calories. You most likely told MFP how much you want to lose each week, so MFP calculates the calories you need each day to get that weightloss. Exercise calories are beyond that. I, personally, think you should eat some back, especially if you are only ingesting 1300Cal/day. Search around on here and you'll find more info.
  • jordan_vakil
    Options
    I just started today trying the whole shakes with whey protein thing. I really liked it. I mixed vanilla whey protein powder, strawberries, orange juice and a banana. It was delicious... Maybe I should add another one pre or post workout?!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options

Are you hungry or just wanting to eat your exercise calories. If you are hungry, you should definitely eat them, but don't force the food down your throat.

As long as you are eatting a minimum of 1200 you are OK
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I just started today trying the whole shakes with whey protein thing. I really liked it. I mixed vanilla whey protein powder, strawberries, orange juice and a banana. It was delicious... Maybe I should add another one pre or post workout?!

Post workout definitely. You want to fuel your muscles to heal. And that sounds delicious too!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I know which days I work out harder and burn more calories and which days I don't work as hard and won't burn as many calories - or days when I know I'll walk a lot and burn a lot of calories that way...so I'm able to plan my meals accordingly during the day before that work out (I usually work out at night). Then I only have a couple hundred MAX extra calories when I slide into bed.

Also, if it's possible, you could work out in the morning. Your metabolism will be kick-started and you'll be hungrier throughout the day and definitely able to eat most of those calories.