Dropped 140 lbs in 5 years

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Best part of this...5 years!
    5 years isn't a "fix" it's changing your life for good.

Much respect...
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Looking good!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous and I'm so happy for you.

I know you felt about seeing the "skinny" version of you. Actually, I think it shows that you have a good self-image but still decided to get rid of the excess weight.

Slow and steady is the best way to lose weight, IMO. You've made a lifetime change so you'll likely remain fit for the rest of your life.

WELL DONE!!
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dude! Awesome work. You're mom isn't going to recognize you! (calling her mom should be the giveaway)
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wow, way to stay with it. Your determination and dedication is inspirational and you look fantastic!!!
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing!
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    fantastic,congratulations!
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Have a great holiday :)
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, congrats on your weight loss!
  • mattgogal07
    Options
    haha yes... she and I have done Facetime/Skype conversations and what not but she's gonna flip when she is able to SEE and FEEL how tiny my waist is (i'm at 32'' now!! down from 44'').... we were talking the other day and I had to thank her... in 2007 I won a trip to France through my college. Everything was taken care of except the plane ticket. She sat me down (and i know it was the hardest thing for her to do... because we cried through it all) and said flat out that if I didn't lose the weight, she worried we'd have to buy 2 plane tickets to accommodate me... THAT was the wake-up call. That's what ignited the spark in me.

She dragged me to my first Weight Watchers meeting, a program I FULLY throw support behind, especially for beginners, as it helped me to completely see food in a different way. Just on the restructuring of my diet, I went from 315 to 270 before the trip to France. But I think the greatest thing for me was in the move to LA, where I currently reside now. The plethora of fresh fruits & vegetables, the focus on lighter fare in even restaurant dishes it really helped me get out of the glut of fats, butters, oils that seem to be in every dish in the Coal Regions of PA. Now don't get me wrong... I LOVE my pierogies, halushki, pizzas, etc but even now as I gear up for going home... I know if I don't pay attention, the re-introduction of all those added fats will leave me doubled over with one hell of a stomach-ache. It also helps that I LOVE salad. Like, I do a full meal salad usually for lunch or dinner every day.

Also, and I hate to say it (because I'm doing this for ME, first and foremost), but the climate of body image here in LA is a great motivator. There are so many pecs and abs and biceps everywhere you look, which lead to the introduction to the one place i avoided for years-- the gym. Over the last 2 years, I hit cardio hard in addition to some moderate weight lifting. But now that I'm close to my goal weight, I'm scaling back on the cardio and 2013 will be about heavy lifting. Having lost all that weight, there is definitely areas of now excess skin that need to be "filled out" in the right ways.

Do I think I'll need a bit of reconstructive cosmetic surgery in the future? Yes, and I'm saving up for it & not ashamed of it because I caused it. BUT!!! I want to give it another solid 2 years of doing what I can in the gym to see if I could correct most of it! That way it's more of a nip/tuck rather than a full lift. I looked at myself in the mirror the other day, and I won't lie... it's a bit painful to look at... but... I had to drop the weight... but I also knew it was only half my struggle. I can't wait for the day when I can wear my UnderArmour shirt and that's IT in the gym...haha... not just hidden underneath all my clothes to keep everything in place.

Finally, it look me 5 years because I knew, for me, I had to make it a lifestyle, not a diet. I never avoided McDonald's or Taco Bell (and I never will...haha), and, like all of us, I had my moments of backpedaling with plateaus, hectic work schedules, holidays, and just the occasional lack of motivation. For me... I was happy it was a slower process. I think if I lost it all quick I woulda put it back on quick. The goal is maintenance, which I know will be a lifelong struggle. I've adjusted, I'm ready, and I know I can succeed.

For the next week, I'm re-calculating MFP to just go into maintenance mode instead of a weight loss mode... I also tried to lose as much as I could this week, so when I do put on the few holiday pounds, it's less of a big deal. After the crazy of Xmas, I'll go back to losing a 1lb a week and I think stay at that for the next year or so. I guess we shall see.

EVERYONE-- Enjoy your holidays!! Have safe, healthy and prosperous new years! :) And best of luck in your own journeys to achieving your weight loss goals!! ... and enjoy those extra helpings now because you better believe we're gonna burn em off in 2013!!! :)
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Kudos for putting the time and commitment into the long term gain. I'm really happy for you! Happy Holidays :smile:
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh!!! Way to go!!!! Your mom is going to be SO PROUD of you!! That's awesome. Almost brought tears to my eyes :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    From 2007 to 2012, this has been my transformation. Started my journey at 315... today I weighed in at 175!! 5 lbs to my goal!!! 2013 is all about muscle, muscle, muscle!! Last time my mom saw me was this past Easter at around 220.... I cannot wait to surprise her!! She's going to cry. I'm going to cry. If you're in the Philly airport this Saturday... and you see 2 grown adults crying... you'll know why :)

Even at my biggest I never saw myself as big as I was... Whenever I looked in the mirror I always saw the skinnier version of me... But now the reflection matches the perception... and it's awesome.

Thanks to MFP... I re-joined the One-Hundreds Club and finally shopped in those "skinny b*tch" stores (okay, so it's actually just H&M, but I wear a FITTED LARGE in H&M!!! not an XL!) Humbled, blessed, thankful. MFP got me over that last hump & I couldn't be happier!! Pray for me through this holiday season...haha... going back to the East Coast to all that great pizza, bagels, pierogies!!! haha. Purposely cutting back this week in anticipation of coming back to LA a little heavier...haha.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a548/pks007/2007to2012_zps701eef26.jpg

http://s1283.beta.photobucket.com/user/pks007/media/2007to2012_zps701eef26.jpg.html

Good job mehn. But i'm wondering why it took you 5 years though.

It doesn't matter how long it took him. All that matters is he did it. The quickest is not always the best
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's an amazing accomplishment!
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Awesome ,you look fantastic.xx
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You were adorable then and now! Congrats on the weight loss! You look awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Awesome job! You look good.
  • bootifulisa
    Options
    OMG amazing job!
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    You look fantastic and, even better, you took your time to get there.
  • danilynn2
    danilynn2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    congrats. You look AMAZING!!!:smile::smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!