Constipation

Options
Hi friends,
I know this is not a fun topic to bring up, well, for most of us! But I have been constipated since last Saturday. Literally 6 days- I have not had a tiny BM- not even a little. I am talking NOTHING.

I had surgery recently and went under anesthesia which can cause some constipation, however, I am already irregular as it is. I am not sure what to do.

I would prefer something subtle considering I am feeling pretty awful from surgery.

Thanks!

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If I eat a salad, that usually brings on a deluge. Is there a food you know of that does the same to you?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'll help on this one.
    Drink 8-12 cups water.
    Eat a sweet potato a day.
    Drink coffee.
    Dont get your protein from processed soy. (builder bar or protein bars w/soy)
    LEafy greens on rest days!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that are high in fibers - vegetables, etc. You can also take a fiber supplement, I like Benefiber. It is easily dissolved completely and you cant even taste it or notice it. I add it to coffee sometimes if I need some help but you can add it to water or even cook with it.

Ditto PPs, drink lots of water. LOTS. Water has a lot to do with poop. If you're going too much, drink water. If you're not going enough, drink water. Always, always, water.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fibre as you can and drink as much water as you can (obviously don't drown yourself) and in a couple of days it should get things moving along nicely!
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you've recently had surgery, it could be from pain meds (if you're taking them). You can try Colace, or call your doctor for a prescription. If it's really been that long, I'd call the doctor anyway.....
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Prunes are your friend!
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have had colon issues fir years and colon surgery so this is a topic I know. First of all water, lots of water. Miralax is a gentle stool softener but it may take a day or so. If you need immefiate relief, magnesium citrate. It is an over the counter drink, you can get it at any drugstore or superstore. Chill it and drink it. Follow the directions and stay near a bathroom. It does not cause me any cramping but plan on being near the bathroom. After this bout eat a high fiber diet, lots of water and good luck!
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi friends,
    I know this is not a fun topic to bring up, well, for most of us! But I have been constipated since last Saturday. Literally 6 days- I have not had a tiny BM- not even a little. I am talking NOTHING.

I had surgery recently and went under anesthesia which can cause some constipation, however, I am already irregular as it is. I am not sure what to do.

I would prefer something subtle considering I am feeling pretty awful from surgery.

Thanks!
    dissolve some epson salt ( 1 to 2 tbls) in some water like 4 oz and drink it it will help plus will push toxins out as well hope this helps!!
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    having worked in the med field I can say that is something you really ought to talk with your doctor about. There are the simple helpers, like drinking LOTS of water, fiber like metamucil can help sometimes, but not always (if you do go for fiber drink tons of water with it or it'll just make your prob worse). Dulcolax is a fairly gentle laxative, mineral oil helps some as well. The nurses gave a few of our patients enemas (you can get them at Wal-Mart, they're called "fleet enemas" when all else failed. Milk of magnesia is a common one as well that doesn't usually cause cramping over much discomfort (just be careful with the dosing). Don't know what your mobility status is having just had surgery, but when you're able walks are helpful for a lot of people also. Oh, and I should mention the old favorite of many patients - prune juice/ prunes. Hope that helps :) Feel better.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Same thing happend to me a couple of months ago, you more than likely are compacted, so will need to pretty quicly get some suppositories first and get rid of the compaction, once that's done you will probably be ok after that but after 6 days you need to move stuff ASAP.....After you have moved the initial blockage, then you can get some natural laxatives with senna in them, even if it's only for a couple of days to get you going again...good luck.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Just had surgery? Ask random strangers on the internet, but for the love of Pete, DO NOT ASK YOUR DOCTOR! What would he/she know, right?

:noway:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Go to the drug store and buy a glycerin suppository. Use it in the privacy of your own home. Within a VERY short time, your problem will be solved.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy...you staying with me? See your doctor.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been there. It's cool. I got this.

1/2 cup of prune juice every 2-3 hours as necessary, starting in the morning on an empty stomach.

Eat only all bran, figs, dates, apples, pears, pineapple, watermelon, green leafy vegetables... Basically anything high in fiber. I know all bran sucks, but if you heat it up in the microwave for a 90 seconds with figs or dates it's kinda like eating oatmeal...

You can go to the store and get an OTC med called Docusate/Colace (depends on where you're from, just ask a pharmacist and they can help), which is just a mild stool softener (NOT a laxative, it's okay to take). Take it twice per day as needed.
  • Michshellars
    Options
    Totally agree, drink PLENTY of water, and my gastro is always pushing Metamucil. Exercise/walking around helps get things moving too, Colace and Dulcolax are over the counter laxatives but shouldn't be used frequently. My dr is all about taking Metamucil every day, but I'm not too keen on the idea. And enemas as a last resort.

Good luck, feel better!
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few weeks ago so I know how you feel. I would advise drinking lots of water [Jugs] and eating lots of vegetables.

Mine occured out of the blue without any changes to my diet. The first time it happened, I didn't take it too seriously thinking it was one off. When it happened again a few days later it was a real wake up call. Since then it hasn't happened again because I have been drinking large amounts of water with every meal and eating more vegetables then I could stomach.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Coffee!
  • WorkoutWarrior76
    WorkoutWarrior76 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hard liquor! Lots of it!
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Youve got some great advise here already.
    Mine is simple fruit veg (prunes especially aready mentioned though) plus no processed food.
    If your on any opiate based type drugs for pain ie codeine. they slow down the GI track (Gastro intestinal). Dump these drugs for the time being
    Good luck & Cheery Xmas