Gluten Free vs Low Carb???

Options
So I have been on a low carb diet for about 2 weeks now.. but before that I was on a gluten free diet for a couple weeks after reading a couple books on the subject and talking with a friend who has a gluten intolerance. I found the book Wheat Belly very eye opening and informative and this book is what really got me started on this journey/experiment. I found that I felt really good abstaining from gluten foods such as wheat, baked goods, breads, pastas... and sticking with grains like quinoa, millet, and only eating brown rice pastas occasionally... I then decided to try low carb to see if that helped me even more, which it has. I have been eating around 30 grams of carbs daily (my diary is open) and I've seen a weightloss of about 10 pounds over the past 2 weeks or so which feels wonderful. My question is if I start eating the gluten free grains again like quinoa, which I love and is full of fiber and nutrients, will I gain the weight back? Or could it be that it is simply the gluten that was causing me to hold onto that fat and will I be safe with gluten free grains when eaten in moderation?

If anyone has any thoughts on this i'd love to hear it. Also has anyone else read Wheat Belly?? Thoughts??

Replies

• fitaliciag
    Options
    bump
  • caitindabx
    Options
    Bumb

anybody?? I don't want this to get lost in the mix. I'm really curious. :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    How strictly low-carb you should be really depends on your own particular metabolism, and isn't something someone else can tell you. Unless it's a doctor who has done a metabolic test to see how efficiently your body processes carbs. Not many docs are willing or educated enough about this to do that for you, so the best idea is to gradually add the carbs back in, and when you reach a point where you're no longer losing weight, or you start regaining, well, you've discovered your body's limit. It's a long process of trial & error.

I would just caution that, throughout the process, you should make sure and eat enough protein to ensure that the weight you're losing is just fat and not muscle. Most low-carb doctors recommend at least 1g protein per pound of body fat; so a 200lb person should try to eat at least 200g protein per day, etc.

Sounds like you have the right attitude to make this a lasting lifestyle change! Try to find a way to include foods you love while still giving your body the macronutrient balance that it wants. But, honestly, only *you* can determine the best balance for yourself.

Best of luck to you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Medical conditions aside, on a calorie for calorie basis, yes and no. Adding some grain will result in more carbs in your diet, more carbs more glycogen, more glycogen, more water weight. Basically it won't add real weight (muscle or fat).
  • caitindabx
    Options
    Thanks, Adastra! I really do feel so much better on low carb but I'm missing my delicious quinoa and my brown rice pasta. You're right about the doctors too. When I tried to talk to my doctor about diet/nutrition he criticized me for being a vegetarian and said I need to eat pasta sometimes to be healthy. WTF??! lol
  • veganfoodie
    veganfoodie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Adastra! I really do feel so much better on low carb but I'm missing my delicious quinoa and my brown rice pasta. You're right about the doctors too. When I tried to talk to my doctor about diet/nutrition he criticized me for being a vegetarian and said I need to eat pasta sometimes to be healthy. WTF??! lol

I come from a family of doctors. Medical schools do not teach courses on nutrition, food science, or holistic care. Doctors are trained in surgery and pharmaceutical solutions. Traditional doctors are the last people I would ask about dietary needs or preventative care.

Good luck with your low carb diet. I just started this week. I'm vegan.