Surgery tomorrow...

Options
Tomorrow morning is the day of my gallbladder removal. It's been a long time coming and I'm kind of excited because I'm using it as a new start for myself. Once I'm able to eat again I'm starting off with fruits and veggies and slowly adding things back into my diet so I can pinpoint what has a negative effect on me. This is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done especially since my roommate isn't planning on giving anything up so it's all still going to be in my house. Once I'm able I'll also be adding in exercise. I'm a meat, potatoes, bread kinda girl so this is going to be interesting.

If anyone has any advice I'm willing and open to hear it.

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure all will be fine. Got my gallbladder out years ago, never had a problem. Just take it easy while you recuperate.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had my gallblader out in June & haven't had any food issues since. It's nice to not be in pain almost daily! Good luck tomorrow.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out the day after Memorial Day. At first, I was having a few food issues with red meat and dairy, but they have all went away and no longer have any food issues.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery - I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Not had gall bladder surgery but wish you well x
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Lucky! I love getting surgery, I've had like 3 major surgeries. It's pretty much the only guilt-free vacation time I get.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    good luck i've been in your shoes a few years back. you will be just fine. you have to take it easy for a few days
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    good luck tomorrow! Glad to see a few who have had it done have posted. Some have posted their stories on the forum so check them out. I'm sure you'll do well. Please post when you're feeling up to it and tell us how it went.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I had emergency gall bladder surgery years ago, and my eating returned to normal within days, it is so nice to be able to eat and drink without food or drink making you double over in pain, or make you sick.

Good luck and swift recovery!
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You will feel so much better after the surgery. I had mine taken out in 2011 unexpectedly. I was on vacation and bang! Horrible story but anyways,.....

I live with three men. They are all very thin and extremely fit. They eat whatever they want and never gain a pound.

I keep their sweets down in the basement in the deep freezer. The snacks they keep in thier dresser drawers. Things that I like that are a temptation they put in baskets on top of the fridge or ontop of the cabinets. It was a lot harder at first. Now it doesn't phase me at all. It did help though to not see it everytime I wanted something.

When we all go out to eat I usually get to pick. Fast food is gone and just a no brainer....subway is great and Arby's too depending on what you order of course.

You most likely will not like to drink soda anymore. Most everyone I know who has had theirs out doesn't drink soda anymore because of the uncomfortable issues with " gas ".
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just remembered one other thing that my be important,

Dairy....might be a problem might not...I can no longer eat dairy and found the hard way. Not only that but, I can't eat soy either.

There are some shakes my friend sells from Arbonne that have pea and cranberry protein. You usually can find them at 30% off if you join as a member or have a party ( sorta like a tupperware party ) and get their entire weight loss line for free. It is beyond awesome stuff and is very gentle on your belly. If you know someone that sells it call them up. You will not regret spending the money at all even if you have to pay full price it is soooo worth it.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Have Milk of Magnesia on hand; you'll be thankful!

Good luck tomorrow. Had mine out 10 years ago, no problems since. I had 19 gallstones, the largest the size of a dime!
  • Rissyroo513
    Rissyroo513 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lucky! I love getting surgery, I've had like 3 major surgeries. It's pretty much the only guilt-free vacation time I get.

That's one way of looking at it ;)
  • Rissyroo513
    Options
    Just remembered one other thing that my be important,

Dairy....might be a problem might not...I can no longer eat dairy and found the hard way. Not only that but, I can't eat soy either.

There are some shakes my friend sells from Arbonne that have pea and cranberry protein. You usually can find them at 30% off if you join as a member or have a party ( sorta like a tupperware party ) and get their entire weight loss line for free. It is beyond awesome stuff and is very gentle on your belly. If you know someone that sells it call them up. You will not regret spending the money at all even if you have to pay full price it is soooo worth it.

Just recently fell in love with Arbonne. Almost became a consultant but have a bit too much going on right now.
  • Rissyroo513
    Options
    Thank you all for the support. The biggest surgery I had was my tonsils and adenoids and I went home the same day, I was also sick and all I remember is getting a bell to ring to get my parents attention. Going to be my first hospital stay and I'm nervous, but I'm trying to think positive thoughts. I'll let everyone know how it went.
  • sonyalbruno
    sonyalbruno Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Honestly if I had the chance to go back and decline my galbladder removal and just do the healthy healthy diet I would do it in a heart beat. I never had a problem with dairy before my surgery and since I have had it I have slowly grown intolerant of it. Also another thing is after eating clean for a month or so and if I have a little cheat day (like a small french fries) I pay for it for days!! Horrible stomach aches and constant trips to the washroom, and zero energy.
    Hope it all goes well for you and that you dont get any of the side effects Im experiencing. Just take it easy and listen to what the drs tell you. I overdid it with my 2 young children and had the shooting pains in my shoulder and chest they will tell you about. You will be more prone to hernias so please dont overdo it in the recovery stage.
    Will be thinking of you, take care.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Since my was removed fried foods make me really ill. Many trips to the bathroom and bad stomach cramps. Other than that no food issues now. It did take me about 3 months before my appetite and eating straightened out. Good luck....prayers for you.
  • Rissyroo513
    Options
    So it's been 4 days since surgery, after a quick trip back to the er on Wednesday for dehydration I'm doing ok. I realized pretty quickly that my detox diet was going to have to wait until after I'm off pain meds and therefore don't need to rely on carbs in order to coat my stomach and ward of nauseau. The pain is lessening with each day so I am scaling back on the meds but trying hard to remember not to overdo it. Thank you for all the tips!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you.....