A Good Beginner's Workout?

Options
Alright, so I am a, 5'11", 205lb guy, freshmen college student, and I have gained a little bit more than my freshmen 15 in just a semester. I've gained about 25 extra pounds in just under six months, and it's pretty disgusting. Back in high school, I played a lot of tennis, so all the exercise kept the weight off, so now I am trying to lose the weight I put on. Over the 3 week winter break, I'd like to lose at least 6-10 pounds to help me kick start my weigh loss goal. I want to focus my three weeks on purely my workout regimen. I plan on working out 6 days a week and taking one day to rest. I do not plan on lifting weights because I just want to focus on cardio. My plan is to eat 1600-1800 calories. so here is my plan:

10:00am wake up
10:30am breakfast
11:00pm 12push ups, 25 situps
12:00pm one mile jog/run
12:30pm light snack
01:00pm 12push ups, 25 situps
02:30pm one mile jog/run
03:00pm lunch
04:30pm 12push ups, 25 situps
05:00pm one mile jog/run
06:00pm light snack
08:00pm dinner
09:00pm light snack

I'd like to get y'alls input of whether y'all think it's a good plan, and whether or not it will be sustainable for more than three weeks. It's the first time I've actually tried to do a structured workout plan like this that I designed myself, so I don't really know if I will be motivated enough to continue it for three weeks let alone past three weeks. Any advice on improving this plan, adding/removing from it, motivation tips and any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just carve out chunk of time to do it all at once? What is your thought behind spreading it out throughout the day?
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but 1600-1800 sounds mighty low for a dude your size. Also,why not look into High interval training that would be more time efficient and it burns a lot of calories. Right now your plan is practically to commit your whole day to do some form of exercise every hour. You want something that you can seriously stick with and be consistent. Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    get up earlier

start faster (whats that 1/2 hour of nothing after you wake up?)

12 push ups? whats that? a magic number? do as many as you can every other day 5 sets

do some planks, pistol squats, pull ups
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    After 7 years of college for my degrees...I found that running, racquetball, cardio at the end of the day was a great way to relieve stress. Now, I do the same. However, I also do a 30 minute wake up workout.

Personally, I would go see a professional to help you with your nutrition as well...if you are eating at your university's cafeteria...

Now, I teach college and have a private counseling practice. I went to see my MD and a nutritionalist last year to begin my weight loss after recovering from a major accident. Best money I ever spent.

Good luck to you!
  • bigpoolshark
    Options
    I'm pretty terrible when it comes to ab work outs and push ups, and I can barely manage to do a set of 10. I wanted to start with a rep of 12 because it seems doable. And, during the break, I won't have much to do anyways, so committing my entire day to working out seems manageable. How often should I increase the number of push-ups to my reps?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I'm pretty terrible when it comes to ab work outs and push ups, and I can barely manage to do a set of 10. I wanted to start with a rep of 12 because it seems doable. And, during the break, I won't have much to do anyways, so committing my entire day to working out seems manageable. How often should I increase the number of push-ups to my reps?

set 1...if you can do 10...do 10 then go to your knees for as many more as you can
    set 2-5 repeat

do them all in one sitting about 1 minute of rest in between sets...in 4 weeks you will be banging them out and feeling good

check out nerdfitness.com for body weight exercise ideas or just google body weight exercises
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    and bro...lose that "i'm pretty terrible.." talk

you are a beginner

we were all beginners at one point
  • bigpoolshark
    Options
    Alright, thanks for the tips! WIll definitely check it out!
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is this your plan just for winter break?

Just carve out an hour each morning to workout, watch your diet, and enjoy the rest of the day.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think it would be better to carve out a time to workout instead of spreading it throughout the day. Model your schedule like it will look next semester. For example, I'm on winter break right now, but I still aim to be up and moving by 8am every morning since I will be waking up at 5:30/6am for my internship, that way my body isn't in total shock the first day. I also aim to be in bed by midnight and eat my meals according to when I would eat them, Im pretty dedicated to working out so I don't schedule a time to workout because I know I will workout 5 days a week, but if you're just starting out, schedule a time to workout each day.

Since you don't want to do weights, I suggest looking up body weight routines, you don't want to become skinny fat from cardio overload and no weight training, when you get back to school make an appointment with your nutritionist on campus to help with a meal plan. Also, your calories seem low... I eat that and I'm a 5'3 130lb female, and that's me eating at a caloric deficit