HEART RATE MONITORS.. HELP!

HKHOWELL
HKHOWELL Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I just bought a timex one and it doesn't work. I can't get it to read my heart rate at all. This is the 3rd one I've gotten and none have worked. The others were the MIO. I don't have a ton of money to spend on one, but I just can't seem to get one that even works. Any suggestions....

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Are these wrist or chest-strap HRMs?
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Found this post in another thread by Azdak.
    It seems like there has been a surge of questions about HRMs lately. I thought I would put together a more in-depth article for anyone who is interested.

In order to make it more visibly available, I wrote it on my blog page rather than as a forum post.
    Feel free to come back here with additional comments or questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

There is also a companion article on my blog about HRMs and strength training.

I get the impression from this that a cheap one isn't much better than just making up a number. Even the really expencive ones have room for error.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I've found that HRMs are one of those you get what you pay for deals. Personally I really like my Polar HRM :)
    It cost $100 on amazon.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Do you wet the chest strap? It won't pick up your heart rate if the chest strap isn't slightly wet. We currently use the Polar FT4 which we paid $100 each for through our gym.

887986.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tjcnc
    tjcnc Posts: 21 Member
    I have always liked my Polar Monitors. I moved from the basic ones to the more advanced F55 which I now use that has the calorie counts and sample work outs on it as well as tracking to down load to my computer. the only thing to watch for is that when the battery needs to be changed send it back to Polar to change. Regular jewlers and watch stores just do not do it well.
  • I just bought the Polar FT7 from Sports Authority. It was regular $110, on sale for $100 and then I found a coupon online at mommysavesbig.com for $25 off a $100 purchase, so I got it for $75 before tax. I know this is a lot, but if you want a good quality one, this is probably the best way to go. I like it a lot and it seems to be pretty accurate. And like Edestiny 7 said, the chest strap has to be wet. Good luck!
  • HKHOWELL
    HKHOWELL Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the replys. i did try wetting the chest strap and it still doesn't work. I paid about $100 for this one and I guess I'll just take it back and try again. I've lost 75lbs in the past year on this site and have reached a point I need to be more tuned into calories burned versus calories eaten. When you have a lot to lose it is not important to be so specific, but as I get clsoer to my goal it is becoming apparent that it will be crucial for the home stretch. Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.