Tread Climber vs Treadmil

Options
i have access to both the Tread Climber is the one that claims to be 2x the workout so if you do it at 3.2m/h your acutally doing 6.4 and i can do that for an hour before it get bored/sick of wasting time and on the Treadmil i can do 7m/h for 15 tops which one

Replies

• FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a TreadClimber. My literature says a "better" workout burning "more" calories in the same amount of time. I didn't know it was twice as many? I believe the TreadClimber does more for your glutes and thighs than a tread mill. Yes, you are moving up and down like a stair climber and forward movements like the tread mill -- both at the same time. Plus, you are on a 10% incline. That alone, will help you burn more calories. Which one should you do? The one you feel more comfortable with -- you might even want to rotate on them both. I do H.I.I.T. on mine 3 or 4 times a week. I have several different H.I.I.T. routines, using any where from 30 minutes, 45 minutes, to 60 minutes. Have you tried those? (High Intensity Interval Training) They burn more calories for longer times thru out the day.

How do you like the TreadClimber? I just bought mine 5 weeks ago.
  • evelynojedadiaz
    Options
    I have access to both at the gym to and I have to say that the treadclimber is a whole lot better than just the treadmill..its a harder workout and yes, you do burn more calories. I always opt for the treadclimber at the gym if its available.
  • rockfordsalbato
    Options
    never tryed any HIIT, this website was recommened by our fitness program at work.. i think the TreadClimber is pretty neat.. they have a whole bunch of gym equipment to use, im trying to maximize on my exercise time because i work 50 hours a week and would rather spend my time with my family then at the gym
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a fax machine, I can fax you some routines. I have incorporated the TreadClimber "speed" to match the workout routine. It keeps your mind off of being bored because you have to watch the clock timer and your speed to do the HIIT programs.

PM me if you want -- with your fax number.
  • Dhouse
    Dhouse Posts: 4
    Options
    I've used both as well and I have to say I sweat a lot more using the treadmill than the treadclimber, so that makes me feel like I'm working harder on the treadmill. The treadclimber is more enjoyable but my trainer told me that there's nothing better than running to lose weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is a testimony to the power of infomercials to create a mass delusion.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE -- if the workloads are the same. The idea that you can burn 2x more calories on a treadclimber IS A LIE.

The only way you can burn 2x more calories on a treadclimber compared to a treadmill is if you set the overall workload 2X HIGHER. In other words, if you work twice as hard on Machine A compared to Machine B, you will burn twice as many calories.

The only unique thing about a treadclimber is that it can go up to inclines greater than 15%, which is the limit on most commercial treadmills. However, that is only significant if someone wants to walk at a very slow speed and a very steep incline. And, if you hold on to the handrails, you neutralize the effect of the incline anyhow.

A normal commercial treadmill can put out workloads that are well beyond the physiologic capacity of any human being. There is NO metabolic intensity that can be achieved on a treadclimber that cannot be duplicated on a treadmill.

As I said, the only unique activity that you can do on a treadclimber is walk at slow speeds at inclines greater than 15%. (I am not counting a sprint inteval that might only be done for a few seconds).

Nothing against the treadclimber--I just want to point out that it has no inherent "superiority" over any other type of equipment. Like anything else, it is a matter of personal preference.
  • rockfordsalbato
    Options
    This is a testimony to the power of infomercials to create a mass delusion.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE -- if the workloads are the same. The idea that you can burn 2x more calories on a treadclimber IS A LIE.

The only way you can burn 2x more calories on a treadclimber compared to a treadmill is if you set the overall workload 2X HIGHER. In other words, if you work twice as hard on Machine A compared to Machine B, you will burn twice as many calories.

The only unique thing about a treadclimber is that it can go up to inclines greater than 15%, which is the limit on most commercial treadmills. However, that is only significant if someone wants to walk at a very slow speed and a very steep incline. And, if you hold on to the handrails, you neutralize the effect of the incline anyhow.

A normal commercial treadmill can put out workloads that are well beyond the physiologic capacity of any human being. There is NO metabolic intensity that can be achieved on a treadclimber that cannot be duplicated on a treadmill.

As I said, the only unique activity that you can do on a treadclimber is walk at slow speeds at inclines greater than 15%. (I am not counting a sprint inteval that might only be done for a few seconds).

Nothing against the treadclimber--I just want to point out that it has no inherent "superiority" over any other type of equipment. Like anything else, it is a matter of personal preference.
    QFE thanks
  • TeamGlasco
    Options
    I own a treadclimber, I also have extensive knee problems. The treadclimber would suck for a runner because you can't get the same speed on a treadclimber that you could on a treadmill. The treadclimber is however an amazing piece of equipment. It's easy on my knees and offers a great workout. I always work up a good sweat and feel like I got a good workout after 20-30 minutes on the treadclimber. It's expensive, but in my opinion totally worth it.

Is it superior to any other piece of equipment, probably not...depending on your workout I'm sure it all evens out. HOWEVER, if you have knee/joint issues then YES it is superior to a treadmill simply because it is low impact. You can get a good solid workout and still be able to walk afterwards without the knee/joint pain that comes with the use of a treadmill.
  • sheilaflocco4
    sheilaflocco4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you TeamGlasco for your opinion on the tread climber I just got mine yesterday and one of my knees has issues.