Hi from NZ

Options
Hi! My name is Jackie and I am from as the title says New Zealand. I have just joined because I wanted to track my diet and was unsure how to do so. I started walking religiously at the beginning of October because of having an energetic large young dog and then my work did a 60 day waling challenge so that gave incentive to really get going. I have enjoyed the walking so much and started to lose a little weight. As I have arthiritis on my knees I have found they feel better from the walking, I thought I would look more into my diet and make a life change. Walking particularly with my dogs (I have two, both walked seperately) is the exercise I find the easiest exercise to participate in because it makes me feel good and both myself and my dogs enjoy it. I think it has become a little addictive. Anyhow, I thought I would just pop in and say hi.

Replies

• puddlesiam
    puddlesiam Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow kiwi :flowerforyou:
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Hi from Wellington :)
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    hi from the waikato. ps walking will be good knee strengthening for your arthritis. if it gets a bit niggly (as it can), try some walking in the pool for a bit less pressure on your knees. =) x
  • dangerouscurvesNZ
    dangerouscurvesNZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi from Wellington here too! Good on you for walking the dogs - they're great motivators aren't they?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi from Tauranga :smile:
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi from North Shore, Auckland! :)

Welcome to MFP!

Heather
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    Hiya, South Waikato here. Keepup the good walk!
  • chile_chicken
    chile_chicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HI from Christchurch! We have a New Zealand MFP Facebook group if anyone wants to join us there.
  • Julesconan
    Options
    Hiya, lots of us kiwis on here!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi ... Welcome! You're off to a Great Start! Keep it up!

Good Luck!
  • gsdz4me
    gsdz4me Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome and lovely to hear there are fellow kiwis here. Yes the dogs are a good motivator especially if one is an 18 month old brat that if not exercised drives me and his mother (I bred him) nuts so it was a must do getting him and exercised but of course I reap the benefits, nice calm dog at home home and a fit and healthier me. I am on Facebook so will look up the NZ facebook page.
    Although I have just started here I have been walking since the beginning of Oct and have lost 6.5kg since starting the walking. But I am enjoying the tools that MFP is giving me to track the food better. The exercise is the easy bit seeing I am now into the routine of it so the food bit needed looking at.
    I do have anit-flams/pain reliever if the knee gets too niggley but I dont use them very often especially as the walking has meant that the knee's natural support is being toned and strengthened from the exercise.
    At the beginning of December as I felt so good walking I participated in the Wangnaui Three bridges Marathon 10km Walk which I completed. I ejoyed the walk and felt so good after, no aches and pains. If someone had said to me I would do a 10km walk, I would have said WTF. But I have now done two. The first was a walking track and i was achy and stiff after that but that was only about 3 weeks/month after I started.
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    That's great!
    Loving there are so many New Zealanders on here.
    I tend to keep MFP and Facebook quite separate, but spend equal time on each!
    Anyone feel free to add me. I live in the Wellington Region, on Kapiti Coast.
    I also have a 22 month old pooch, who it would be just be inhumane to not exercise everyday. She's a bullmastiff boxer, and a super great motivator for a wee sprint along the beach.
    Good on all you guys being on here. I love the control that this site adds to my life. I'm much more successful when I have a bit of structure, and the support is also fantastic.
    Have a very merry christmas!

Emma.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Hi from Oamaru - my 18 month old lab keeps me out walking morning and night. No one told me they took a couple of years to quieten.
    I love MFP, reached my goal sometime ago but still log regularly - I think maintaining is the challenge!!

Enjoy the site and good luck
  • gsdz4me
    Options
    I have German Shepherds for years now, always *****es. I have also done extensive showing, obedience and trials with them. But I have gone right out of that except for the odd bit of breed or GSD showing and having an energetic young male dog has really given me a new perspective on dog owning and certainly a good excuse to walk because we have to but now we are all addicted. And yes Leeanz, GSDs too take a good couple of years to mature (if that means quiten, we shall see). Although I have only been using MFP for a very short while I have found tracking the food thing so helpful.
  • Valmon
    Valmon Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi from the exact opposite spot to Dunedin on Earth (i.e. Geneva, Switzerland) :wink:
  • gsdz4me
    Options
    Hi back at Valmon, I guess you are in winter now too? I just saw my post had some asteriks, I am so used to dog talk and dont find a female dog word in that context but MFP must so the hidden word is females :wink:
  • sammiegurl57
    Options
    Hi from NZ i to have just started :)
  • gsdz4me
    Options
    Cool to see other kiwis and hear from people all around the world.
  • gsdz4me
    Options
    I joined just before Xmas and am enjoying being on here. I know it is a slow but so far seems a steady trip but reading other peoples experience and succeses is so comforting to know that I am not alone and can do what I have set out to do if I keep my mind on it. I have few good friends on here but feel free to add me if you wish. The support thus far has been great. Thank you for the support.