Prenatal VItamins

Options
I'm not pregnant, and have never been pregnant but it has been suggested that I should look in to taking Prenatal vitamins for my hair. The top half of my hair grows fine, but the bottom doesn't grow. I'll never be able to have my hair all one length. It's super fine and i can't do anything with it except put it in a pony tail, but the back (by my neck) is always bumpy because it's shorter than the rest of my hair.

So has anyone taken prenatal vitamins when they're not pregnant? Some people say it's fine, others say it's not. I'm not asking for medical advice, just personal experiences.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-...pr_product_top

Those are the vitamins I am considering. my only issue with them is that they contain a little bit of iron (30mg) and I'm not anemic.

Edit: Please excuse the typo in the subject, the i in "Vitamins" should obviously not be capitalized.

Replies

• jubeemine
    Options
    Taking prenatals is great. I've been taking them for 10+ years..when pregnant and not. The extra iron shouldn't hurt. The ones you linked are fantastic ones. Give it a try for a couple months. They help hair & nail growth.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been taking prenatals for 2 months, I'm not pregnant and I've never been pregnant. The only difference I've noticed is that my skin looks a lot better and my hair is slightly softer to the touch. I'm going to continue taking them, I don't see any harm in it.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bumping. thanks for the comments thus far. :)
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I can't see any reason why it should be unsafe. The formulations will be different obviously, but there won't be a any mega doses in prenatal vits. Just be aware they may have no/very little vitamin A if that is important to you.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be any reason why you can't take a prenatal vitamin. In fact, they encourage women looking to conceive to start a prenatal vitamin regime before even trying to get pregnant. If it's safe for them, there's no reason for it to be unsafe for you. The only issue I could think of is the iron content. Not because it's unhealthy, but because it has a tendency to constipate people. There are formulas available with lower iron contents, so again, not really a problem.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I take them, I asked a pharmacist to be sure and she said it's fine. They just have more iron than normal, so some constipation issues can happen, but other than that it's fine.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    sounds good.
    For a laugh, if you have a boyfriend or husband just open the bottle in front of them.
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would like to just say you ladies are amazing if you are taking them!

I could not get one of those suckers down when I was pregnant. Ended up taking the gummy kids Flintstones instead. Maybe I'm a big baby but I threw those things up every time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I tend to be anemic, despite a diet high in iron, so prenatals are pretty much what I take all the time. I highly recommend Rainbow Light Nutrition. It's food based, and the doses are pretty impressive.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant and sadly miscarried, but I had a TON of extra prenatal and asked my doctor if there was any harm in taking them. She said "Absolutely none feel free to continue" She also said it was strongly advised to take them if you are just thinking about getting pregnant

I also have very fine hair and I have had a lot of problems growing it out, my hair breaks super easy, get so snarled and difficult to brush through. Some other things you should look into (these have helped me a LOT) is glucosamine and chondroitin (also helped my nails get so much stronger I stopped chewing them) and Moroccan Oil. (http://www.moroccanoil.com/usa/h_us_en/moroccanoilr-treatment) If you dont' want to pay $40/ bottle (I don't'
    blame you) try garnier fruitis sleek and shine line they have and off brand version for ~$5/bottle (In store), seems to work as well but doesn't smell as good (http://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-Moroccan-Treatment/dp/B008DF6XB4/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356201561&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=garnier+fruits+argan+oil)
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did in college to help keep me healthy since my diet was lacking. Poor excuse I know. I asked my OB and she said it was fine to take prenatal vitamins even when you are not pregnant or trying to get pregnant. I have been taking them for the last year even though my husband and I don't plan to start trying for the next year.
  • sammybear521
    sammybear521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use to take a regular daily vitamin and switch to prenatal because my stomach wasn't handling the regular ones. I have been take them for the last 8 months and haven't had any issues. My nails are stronger and my hair has been growing a lot more. So I say go for it :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it could just be the way your hair is. My hair grows but it gets to a point and then breaks. Twice I've had to have my hair cut shorter than I wanted to because it was uneven.

I was taking vitamins specific to nails, skin and hair but I think I was allergic to the biotin because I broke out bad.
  • RinaElleisr
    RinaElleisr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im not pregnant, but i just started taking them this week for hair growth and nails. I want length, versus thickness.

I researched it a bit before actually committing.

They say its not bad :) Good luck to you!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    my RN supervisor suggested I them bc they contain cretain for hair and nails I've been on them for bout 6 months and my nails are stronger and my hair brush don't fill up with as much hair. I've always had baby fine hair and Ibelieve its makin my hair stronger.