Successful tips for stress eating?

Options
Hey guys -

I'm an undergrad, so when I have a rough week, I eat everything and rarely leave the house. Has anyone found the secret to not stress eating?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Channel your stress towards exercise rather than food. Not only will this be good for your body, but it'll create a greater calorie deficit and give you the opinion to eat a little more if you so choose to - but stick within your goals!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you should make a ritual out of eating well. stop and cook and eat and be at peace. this brings you together around your healthy meal like food yoga.

you are choosing food as a way to fall apart. turn it into a strength.
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    I am apt to do the same thing. I was told that if you eat something high in fat you will soon crave more high fat food (I think that was from a cardiac rehab therapist) and it does seem to be true. So I at least try to eat fruit and or a fiber bar at such times.

If you do find a good answer let me know.

I do agree with the previous poster too, channeling to exercise does help IF you can.
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    food yoga.

YAY!
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, exercise - I was exactly the same, now I hit the gym and I feel like a million dollars. Best stress buster ever. I've just come back from a 25 km bike ride. Do it. :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Do anything else but eat. Go for a walk, jog, bike ride, put in a work out DVD. Log on to MFP and read the success stories. Ask yourself, "do I really want to eat this?" If the answer is no, don't eat it. It is not easy, but little by little the results of telling your self no add up to becoming healthier/slimmer.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hey guys -

I'm an undergrad, so when I have a rough week, I eat everything and rarely leave the house. Has anyone found the secret to not stress eating?

Why is 'everything' in the house? Fill your cupboards full of nutritious foods, if you have any freezer space make your own healthy meals that you can microwave or buy a slow cooker/ crock pot and make up a batch and eat that. Eat for anxiety/ stress relief - canned oily fish, magnesium rich foods (pumpkin seeds, cocoa, bran, green veggies), avoid or limit white refined carbs, sugar, caffeine and alcohol because these all put the body into a state of stress and interfere with sleep quality. Research indicates regular physical activity helps with stress management and learning, so is actually good for you during exam times or a difficult assignment, it's worth setting time aside because it can make you more productive. Get enough quality sleep, tiredness can lead to cravings.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I keep a limited supply of 'stress' foods so I can't stress eat or have to at least take the time to prepare something if I do. I also make it a point to work out regurarly, Have noticed I tend to eat less the more I work out..