Hi from the UK

Options
Hi everyone, just thought I'd say a quick hello. I've joined MFP to basically monitor my diet. Have just been diagnosed with degenerative bone disease in my spine. Have 4 bulging discs currently, with one or two just waiting to prolapse and have nerve impingement down my left leg.........so not in a good place at the moment :-(

Going to the gym has played a huge part of my life, over 28 yrs in the UK Armed Forces, so I'm absolutely gutted that I now have to take it a little easier.....no more heavy dead lifts or squats.

I've always used body weight exercises in my training, so might be time to do more of these, once I'm back on my feet again.

Cheerio for now, JG.

Replies

• lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    hi, i have been logging for 6 months and have lost 34lbs so far, still a fair bit to go too. In feb I will be doing a charity cycle so need lots of friends to push me along the right road and keep me going. Feel free to add
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your bad news...I am in the UK too, Bristol...bring on 2013! It is going to be a good one : ) I like this place a lot...has helped keep track of various things I want to achieve, etc.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Feck. That sucks! Welcome to MFP.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Gosh, sounds very serious. What is the illness called, if you don't mind my asking? Morbus Bechterev? And can the doctors - or you - do anything to delay things?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's a tough break - wish you all the best.
    I live with three badly degenerated lumbar discs (65/75/85% gone). Nowhere near the severity of your issues of course but I do sympathise.
    I've learned what I can do (and conversely what I can't do) but still exercise like an elderly maniac.
    :wink:

Feel free to add as a friend if you wish.
  • johng505
    Options
    Hi everyone. and thank you for taking the time to respond. Yeah, the back is currently in a bad way but I won't let it get me down, it won't beat me and, as much as I hate to say this, if I have to just take things a bit easier from now on then fair enough.......it won't stop me going to the gym though ;-)

sijomial - I like your attitude, anyone who exercises like a maniac is alright by me :-)

Antlady69 - I don't think it has any specific name, just brought on by getting older and over use. I'm hoping, with the right sort of management, to delay it from worsening for as long as I can.

lanie37 - Good luck with the charity cycle ride, hope it all goes well.

Well, if I don't post again before, hope you all have a fantastic Xmas.

Regards, JG.