In shape, but don't run

Options
I am in reasonably good shape (i.e. I can do an hour at pretty intense resistance/speed on the treadmill or elliptical, do strength training regularly, etc.) and workout 5-6 days a week. But, I don't ever run! I'm really thinking about starting, but I'm not sure where to begin. I know I'm not a "beginner" runner. Most of the beginners' running plans I've found have people starting out walking. Any tips or ideas on where I should begin with running?

Replies

• maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just start running! Seriously. There is no "set" plan. Put on some running shoes, laced loosely, and just go for it. You will quickly know what pace you can sustain and what you can do. Just do it. If you have to walk, walk. Run some more. And then do it again. Before you know it, you will be a runner. It's that simple.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. I started with the C25K program but skipped to week 3. You will do some shorter runs with walk breaks in between. You really need to train yourself to run so I highly recommend following this program. You'll find different parts getting sore that you never felt before.

I didn't go out and get fit for shoes at a running store but that's the right way to do it. Proper shoes will help correct pronation issues.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just start running!
  • silveradospirit
    Options
    I also suggest you visit a running store and get shoes fitted for you. It will make a big difference with comfort and injury prevention, especially if you decide to make running a regular exercise routine.

There are many dedicated websites to running, that there are too many to mention but just do a search and you'll find a wealth of information on nutrition, tips and running gear.

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    By running. Actually running is a good place to start running.

Let's not over think this. You learned to crawl, then walk, then run. You've run before. Now go run again. After you start, we'll work on your stride and your gait and your shoes. But let's get started. Less talking, more doing
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Even though you don't consider yourself a beginner, start off slowly. The last thing you want to do is get injured and derail your running career just as you're getting started.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm with @Davpul on this one - either start with your left foot or start with your right foot....
    Longer term it really depends on what you want to do, distance or speed, fun runner or racer.

You might find some useful info here.....
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Put your left foot forward then your right then your left then your right. Quite quickly. Repeat until tired.

Just don't put your left foot forward then back then forward then back or you'll be doing something else.

The question that is on my mind: why do you want to run? Do you feel you have to in order to achieve your goals? I mean, you sound like you're doing a hell of a lot of exercise already - more than enough if weight loss is your goal. I mean, whilst I encourage people to do exercise they enjoy, I never run. I lie - I did do about 15-20 minutes to see what this minimalist running was about.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Even though you don't consider yourself a beginner, start off slowly. The last thing you want to do is get injured and derail your running career just as you're getting started.

This.
    You may be in great cardiovascular shape, but running is more than that. Your bones and your muscles are going to have to adapt to the rigors of running, and this may be more challenging than you think. It is very easy to injure yourself by doing too much, too soon, when it comes to running....so take it slow at first, even if you don't feel especially challenged in the beginning. Have fun!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

This.
    You may be in great cardiovascular shape, but running is more than that. Your bones and your muscles are going to have to adapt to the rigors of running, and this may be more challenging than you think. It is very easy to injure yourself by doing too much, too soon, when it comes to running....so take it slow at first, even if you don't feel especially challenged in the beginning. Have fun!

Ditto.

I lift weights, bicycle, and do various classes like bootcamp, cardio-kickboxing, spinning, and can easily do an hour on the elliptical (although I rarely do because it's pure boredom so I just do it for shorter HIIT durations). I completed a two-day 200-mile bike ride in July and did numerous rides of 30, 40 and 50 miles over the summer. Then I decided to start running.

Man, oh, man. I thought I was gonna die. Cardiovascularly, no problem. At the speed I could run, I wasn't even breathing heavy. Muscles and my body's ability to take the constant pounding, yikes! And I figured with all that other work, that my muscles would be strong for running. Nope. I am still carrying too much weight (working on that still) so I know that was part of the reason the pounding was hard on my body. And it is getting better, a lot better. But I still have to limit my running to no more than twice a week in order for my joints to recover from it. I can go to bootcamp the next day and do burpees and jump-squats like crazy but I sure can't run the day after running or my knees/ankles would be screaming at me. Go figure.

You may run like a gazelle out of the gate or you may struggle like I did. You can try C25k to get yourself started and jump ahead if the first few weeks are too easy. Or you could be like me and need to repeat weeks. If so, don't sweat it. Just do what you can do and put on those shoes and get going.

Oh, I found the C25k too regimented for my tastes so, after a few weeks, I scrapped it. Nothing against the program. Many people love it. I just found that I pushed myself harder if I just did it more fartlek-style. Whatever works for you.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I pushed myself harder if I just did it more fartlek-style. Whatever works for you

LMAO now the OP was is a non runner explain that to them
    first time I heard it My mind went into 12yearold boy mode lol
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome but will take a toll on your body.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am in reasonably good shape (i.e. I can do an hour at pretty intense resistance/speed on the treadmill or elliptical, do strength training regularly, etc.) and workout 5-6 days a week. But, I don't ever run! I'm really thinking about starting, but I'm not sure where to begin. I know I'm not a "beginner" runner. Most of the beginners' running plans I've found have people starting out walking. Any tips or ideas on where I should begin with running?
    You don't have to run.
  • shaybuggie
    shaybuggie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K program but skipped to week 3.

I didn't go out and get fit for shoes at a running store but that's the right way to do it. Proper shoes will help correct pronation issues.

I agree.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome but will take a toll on your body.

Only if you do it too much.....like anything else in this world.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised if you start running outside how hard it is. I was in really good shape when I decided to start running. Figured it would be a breeze but I downloaded C25K onto my iPod and started out. All my cycling and workouts that I thought had me in such super shape was a joke. I ended up doing weeks one to five and then just running from there.

I'd really recommend getting fitted for good shoes at a running store before you start. I thought my shoes I wore for my other workouts would be fine and ended up messing up my knee.