Anyone Try Bolthouse Farms Smoothies? Healthy or Not

Options
I've tried a few in the past few weeks and they're good, but it's hard to determine if they're "healthy" or not. Of course they're marketed as such but the Protein Plus ones can run upwards of 190 calories, 24g sugar for 8oz serving, but also has 16g of protein for the same amount.

http://www.bolthouse.com/products/beverages/proteinplus

I created my own by adding frozen fruit, small thing muscle milk, and Greek yogurt and it's about 267 calories, 14g protein and makes about 14oz serving.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/16687054

I try to eat protein because I've read it makes you feel full, which hunger is very hard for me. I hate veggies so have to fill my meals with other healthy options and it's a struggle. What's the best option? I'm still not at the point that I can only drink a smoothie or just a protein shake (like the small Muscle Milk) because I'm hungry, so I add oatmeal & fruit or fruit and yogurt. I wish I could just drink a smoothie for breakfast or lunch and be done. I've tried to do what I've been told by a few dr.'s and eat smaller amount throughout the day. I'll have a larger breakfast, snack (like fruit or yogurt, or Special K crackers), lunch (grilled chicken & light soup), snack, then small dinner or no dinner, just protein shake. I workout in the late afternoon so afterwards I just drink a shake and usually don't eat a meal. It's the during the day that's tough.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    sodium bombs, lots of sugar but not that bad.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's all natural, so that sugar you're getting is from the fruit, not added for taste. For instance, my favorite is the Green Goodness, which is listed here: http://bolthouse.com/product/greengoodness

Ingredients: PINEAPPLE JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE (WATER, PINEAPPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE), APPLE JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE (WATER, APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE), MANGO PUREE FROM CONCENTRATE (WATER, MANGO PUREE CONCENTRATE), BANANA PUREE, KIWI PUREE, SPIRULINA, NATURAL FLAVOR, CHLORELLA, ZINC SULPHATE, GREEN TEA, SPINACH, BROCCOLI, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), BARLEY GRASS, WHEAT GRASS, ECHINACEA, GARLIC, JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE, LEMON BIOFLAVONOID, NOVA SCOTIA DULSE.

Everything is natural. Plus it's already processed into a yummy drink. For me to buy the fresh fruit every few days and prepare the smoothie would be really expensive and time consuming, but I can buy several bottles and have it right there for when I want it.

Totally worth it.

If the ingredients are healthy, then so is the drink.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Make your own smoothies. I do it every morning. I prep my fruit in large batches and freeze. This way I get a good variety of flavor. I blend with greek yogurt and kefir and a ripe banana. I just prepped 6 lbs of tangerines! Yummy!!! Mine are between 280 to 450 calories, but I have about a pint and a quarter per smoothie, so you can half that if your calorie intake is low, making them from 140 to 225 calories. I will use berries of all types, kiwis, many varieties of citrus, pluots, mangos, peaches, cantalopes…. I have used so many varieties. Oh, I just started using pomagranates as well!! Love me a pom and blueberry smoothie! The seeds are annoying from the pomagranate, but are easy to get used to… like blackberries and kiwis!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i second Topher. I prefer to make my own, but these are great when I don't feel like dragging out the juicer, and keep me on track. I also second the green goodness =)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Bolthouse. I like Odwalla and Naked drinks now and again :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You can add vegetables to smoothies - frozen spinach or green beans plus avocado are somehow completely disguised by berries. I would not buy that smoothie, the first two ingredients are just juice not whole fruit so much of the goodness has been removed and the sugar concentrated.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My mother's doctor told her to get Green Goodness and the Odwalla green one. The first recommendation of course was for her to make the smoothies but she doesn't have the time and doesn't own a juicer. She is supposed to have huge quantities every day for a certain medical condition. I should note, she is underweight if anything and she drinks it for the nutrients, not at all for a weight loss aid.

I have started drinking Green Goodness myself for days when I don't get my servings of fruits and veggies, or when my daily calories are too low and I am searching for something healthy to bump them up. It's got way more foods than I would practically be able to put in a smoothie, including spirulina, wheat grass, and echinacea in addition to lots of fruits and vegetables, per RekindledRose's list. Just factor in the sugar & sodium with everything else you eat.

I also make my own protein fruit smoothies but one with that many ingredients is beyond me. I think the bottled ones are good in moderation. Of course, I don't truly eat "clean" and healthy packaged foods are fine by me.

Edit: And it tastes quite good.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Naked, Odwalla, Bolthouse, etc. are all expensive and you run the risk of tons of sodium or sugar depending on the brand/flavor.

Much cheaper to just make your own.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Vanilla chai protein or GTFO
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The vanilla chai protein shake was my ~intro to the world of protein supplements, but I find it waaay too sweet now. I get pretty fancy with my homemade protein shakes, so I don't really miss the bottled stuff. If I'm pressed for time, I'll grab a Muscle Milk light although the taste is kind of artificial.
  • gem6885
    Options
    I drink the Carrot Juice and Green Goodness flavors, and also make some fruit smoothies at home in my blender. Usually have a glass in the morning, sometimes 2 if I'm substituting breakfast because of time constraints. The Bolthouse Farms are all natural, and much cheaper than the Naked ones (at my grocery store anyway). I've become addicted to them, and I've noticed that my skin is clearing up - probably a combo of all the carrot juice plus just cleaning up my whole diet altogether.
  • Sweet200307
    Sweet200307 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like some of the bolthouse drinks but I don't like the protein added ones, they taste real chalky 2 me, someof the naked drinks are real good too like mango orange yum yum:) plus they have a good amt of veg a fruit in them.
  • luvsclassics
    luvsclassics Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like Topher's Idea for Smoothies, To prepare the fruit in bulk and freeze into single portions to toss into the blender (after Thawing the frozen fruit).

I make mine fresh with an Egg White Protein Powder called "Jay Rob's" -find it in the WHole Food market, plus the sliced 1/2 or whole banana, 1 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt, and for liquid I add cranberry raspberry juice, instead of milk, ( Lactose Intolerance).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The vanilla chai protein shake was my ~intro to the world of protein supplements, but I find it waaay too sweet now. I get pretty fancy with my homemade protein shakes, so I don't really miss the bottled stuff. If I'm pressed for time, I'll grab a Muscle Milk light although the taste is kind of artificial.

Did you ever try the vanilla chai microwaved. Mmmmm...perfection.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I've never tried Bolthouse. I like Odwalla and Naked drinks now and again :)
    I used to do these both a lot in the past. They never give me the lift that I get from the ones I make. I actually used to use them as the liquid for my smoothies until I switched to kefir. I would buy the Odwalla by the case at Costco… better than pop, but I just didn't care for the way they made me feel after playing with them for several months.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Yeah, an Odwalla and a Muscle Milk used to be my "on the run" workout meal!! hehehe. I am sure it will happen sometime… Like a ay I want to get a really early start, etc.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    I guess I'll stick to my own. I wanted to try the Naked ones but the small bottle is almost 500 calories, more than Bolthouse. I guess it was a dumb question since my own mix has less calories for more smoothie.

Thanks for the responses!! I think I'm going to try the Green Goddess though, heard lots about it. I made the mistake of drinking their breakfast smoothies and they have like no protein so won't be doing that again.
  • stephyh31
    stephyh31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say make your own. I do every morning and, again I buy in bulk and freeze. I usually only add bottled or filtered water to mine. I add a variety of fruits and usually kale as well as two scoops of green powder. I also usually add one tbsp of chia seeds and one packet of stevia as I do like mine sweeter. I've added beets and other veggies as well but I typically do kale and switch it up from time to time. If you're looking to save on calories stick to some of the fruits and veggies that offer quantity for a lower calorie count like blueberries or strawberries. I've often purchased a berry blend in the freezer section, organic, and it costs about $10.00 which is cheaper then cutting and preparing your own and then freezing it.

I've tried the Naked Green Machine. I'll admit its good but it's much sweeter than anything I've made at home and they do add juice which I've done but spikes the calories and adds unnecessary sugars unless you're buying high quality organic juice of something like Just Cranberry which is significantly less calories then regular cranberry juice from like Ocean Spray then I'd stick to adding water.

If you think about it the stuff on the shelf has to have some type of preservative to keep the shelf-life. The stuff I make myself at home would never last that long without me drinking it. I control the sugars and the ingredients when I do it myself. I have a Nutribullet but if I am out of fruits/veggies or on the go traveling then I may resort to a bottled juice otherwise I make my own, more cost effective that way too!
  • NativeAmerican23
    Options
    I just tried daily greens and I really like,:wink: it to me it's like drinking a salad
  • NativeAmerican23
    Options
    I just tried daily greens and I really like,:wink: it to me it's like drinking a salad