After countless hours of research...

Options
I have come to the conclusion that i haven't been eating enough....even though I wasn't going hungry

But i'm just kindly asking for opinions guys...before I officially change my targets...just so i'm 100% sure i'm making the right decision..pleaseee :)

so i currently weigh 142 pounds...with my goal weight being 130...i WAS eating 1200 calories and eating back exercise calories, but after research and lots of time on my phone calculator doing sums and equations i realized this was not enough, i was aiming to lose 2lbs a week but for my weight maybe that's unrealistic?

so now i'm setting my self a goal of either 1600 or 1700 calories a day, aiming to lose 0.5/1lb a week?

does that sound about right to you guys??

any input will be greatly appreciated!!!
thank you!!
zena : )

Replies

• Kynzmomma09
    Kynzmomma09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i think that does sound right.. especially since ur a smaller weight. idk if u can see the friends on my page, since were not friends.. but theres a friend, Terisha, on mine who has lost 90 lbs and she gives awesome tips.. Add her if u like, me too if u want :) she can definetly give u the advice u need.
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I will!!! Thank you :)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    kynz is right. As small as you are, 2 lbs a week would be a lot. For those of us that have 50 lbs. to lose, 2 lbs. is mor,e realistic. Losing it slowly, eating healthy, exercising regularly can be (almost) down right enjoyable if you don't fret about not hitting a 2 lb. a week goal weight.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The new goal and intake sounds better and will probably help you lose and maintain that loss (mainly bc you aren't eating what was probably below your BMR anymore). Good luck!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Your new intake definitely sounds better =) On 1200 you're more likely to get hungry which can lead to overeating and if your body is anything like mine you can find it hard to lose weight.

I plateud for months on 1200 and it was bringing me down. Upped my calories and what do you know, a week later I started losing the weight again. It's healthier for you and will make it easier to maintain later on. Good luck
  • zena92
    Options
    thanks guys! I really appreciate it...its funny how you can do so many sums and equations and online calculations etc...and even the numbers that MFP give to you, and it can come out with so many different results...I think I just focused on wanting to achieve to much in the smallest amount of time...THATS A NO NO! :P
  • zena92
    Options
    BUMP

sorry about the self bump lol, i just wanted a few more opinions...many apologies :)
  • okeedokee5
    okeedokee5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I think you're correct. When I started, I weighed 227 (ughhh)... and ate at 1200 (but often ate most of my exercise calories back), and I lost the majority of my weight that way. Currently, I'm 145, with a goal weight range of 125-130. Based on that "Roadmap" post that everyone talks about on these boards, I've upped my calories to about 1700, regardless of exercise or not. It's a little scary to up the calories at first, but it is what finally broke me out of the plateau I was stuck at for a month and a half.

And at this point, being so close to your goal weight, losing 2 pounds a week isn't realistic. Better to stick with the "slow but steady" method. I think that was the hardest for me to get used to. I was losing two to sometimes even 5 pounds a week at the beginning... so that sudden 'half pound losses' are hard to handle.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think you should slowly up your intake to about 10% deficit from your TDEE. You don't have that much to lose and you are eating too little. You couldn't possibly lose 2 lbs per week at your weight without causing damage to your body.
    I did this same mistake at first (I only had 8 lbs to lose) but it sped up and worked much more smoothly when I started eating more.

Good luck. :)