IRONMAN/TRIATHLON RUNNERS need your opinion

Options
Hey fellow mfp!

I was wondering if anyone had done the ironman/half ironman on this site? I really really want to do the half ironman in maryland on June 8th. However, I've never done a triathlon before and I know you're supposed to and everything, because of the transitions and just so you know what it's like. I think I'm in fairly good shape, I mean I obviously couldn't do a half ironman tomorrow but I could do a sprint no problem. I'm planning on "warming up" training for the rest of the year and start actually training in January. I'm a full time nursing student so I don't have time and the money to pay for olympic races to help me get prepared. The ironman is super expensive but I think if I put down the money I'll have to do it and therefore I'll have to train hard, whereas I wouldn't take olympic races or regular triathlons as seriously I guess. My goal for the half ironman is just to finish, I'm not worried about a certain time as long as I'm under the limit. I just really want to do it and I feel like doing the half ironman will get me into amazing shape, and i won't get there if I don't do it.
Anyway, my question is what is your opinion about this? Is that silly and stupid to do a half ironman without any real experience? Obviously I'd practice transitions before the race and everything so that I'm comfortable. I know young adults have the problem of starting out to fast and getting worn out, but I've always been a steady pace long distance person. So what do you think?

Replies

• rodakowe
    Options
    bump
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, should you do such a long race if you have never done any type of triathlon before? Am I understanding your question?
    Well, wouldn't that depend on what kind of shape you are in? Only you know that.
    If you have done races before, and you are in good aerobic condition, I say go ahead. None of the activities is likely to lead to some kind of injury that will prevent you from doing the next activity, as long as you are a little bit trained. None of those distances are terribly debilitating for someone in good aerobic training. So, why not?
    Course, you are not going to win. You are likely to be really slow relative to the other racers. But, I don't hear that you are worried about that.
  • rodakowe
    Options
    Okay yeah thanks that was my question! I guess I'm just nervous! And I'd just like to finish haha i'm well aware I won't win the half ironman haha
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'll start training in the next weeks to do a half IM in 2013 and then build up to an IM in 2014. So I'm sure we can support each other.

I'm a cyclist and a half-assed runner and the swim thing, well, I suck. Competed in HS and was bad bad bad. So my goal is to complete. I'm in the "an old fart" category.

You can do this, it is all dedication and hours and attention to your body. And some luck.
  • rodakowe
    Options
    Yes let's support each other! I've swam most of my life so the swimming I think it will be the least of my problems. I'm not a huge biker so I think that will be my hardest part because it's so long, but I think with training i'll be okay and my dad is a huge cyclist.

I'm getting so pumped up thinking about it and planning my training. I really think i can do this and that's so exciting to me!
  • garrett2071
    garrett2071 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Provided that you train properly, follow a training plan, you can do it. The key is putting in quality training time no matter what the distance is. The portion of the race that freaks people out is the mass start open water swim. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • jonad724
    jonad724 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, well I have done a half ironman, the first ever in 2012 and I can say from my experience it is down to training and mental attitude. Once you get past the initial oh I can't do that stage then you're fine. I entered my race to celebrate 10 years since becoming a meningitis survivor, trained for 8 months gradually building up and I did it with an hour to spare from the cut off time.

I was fortunate also to have a club coach who told me the most important training I could do was on the bike because that's generally the longest part of the event. I didn't go nuts I just increased over time.

For the event itself I found that having mental strength was the most importat part of all. On the bike I miscalculated when I would be back into transition to start the half marathon and felt really down for about 20 minutes before realising mental arithmatic is not my forte. Then on the run at three miles I had a very low desperate moment when I just wanted to sit down and cry but I had been warned this would happen although to experience that kind of desperation wasn't what I expected at all, and I ran through it.

So my advice would be train to build up gradually and remember rest is just as important as exercise in the right balance. Good luck!
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If there is a tri club in the area where you live, that could be invaluable also for first hand experience on the little stuff that you might not otherwise think of....I've not done either half nor full, except as a long suffering spouse/spectator of both! Triathlon can be great traveling experiences and we've seen a lot of the country because of them...however be sure you have supportive people around you because there is an element of training time to consider. Look at the water temperature for if wet suit is a good idea, on the long races, I usually wait close to area where the athlete run to the transition area...I have a pair of old shoes for my husband to put on to run to transition and I collect his wet suit...on the big races, when you get out of the water, they have people to strip the wet suit off you, but there is potential for It to get lost in the transition area, Tim usually has two pairs of goggles, one around in his leg in case the pair on his face gets knocked off, broken...anything....on his bike, he carries a spare tube and air cartridge as well as tools that will allow him to change a tire or fix a broken chain so he doesn't have to pullout of a race...it might add a couple pounds to the bike, but he's not going to qualify for anything like Hawaii so takes along what he might need so he can complete the race....like I said, these are some of the little things that if you have people around to talk with directly, can give you an idea of how to manage. Even if you don't enter the Olympic or sprint race, maybe volunteer at a couple so you can see how individuals set up his/her own transition space because everyone does it differently, and you want to be able to maximize the (very)little bit of space you have!
  • avdnyc
    avdnyc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a 6-time marathoner, with sprints/olys (2008-2009), 2 1/2 IMs (2011) and 1 full IM (2012) under my belt. I'm a mid to back of the packer (my IM time was just under 16h and my marathon PR is 4:45), so I think I can speak to your goals with long distance/endurance events.
    Can you do a 1/2 IM in 6 months? Absolutely.
    I would recommend several things already mentioned by others: get a coach or a tri club/team to train with (unless you are an experienced cyclist or runner or swimmer, there are techniques specific to each discipline and to long distance triathlon that only a coach or a team environment would teach you); and sign up for at least 1 short course race (sprint or oly) before your event (there are so many things that you can only really experience in a race setting - things you won't think of or anticipate that you can't practice outside of a race setting). Also, be realistic about how much time you can devote to training, AND be really disciplined about executing the training program (I'd say for 1/2 IM training you need to devote at least 1 workout/week to each discipline PLUS a brick, PLUS additional workout in your weakness - that 5 minimum workouts/wk, more is ideal).
    Really, depending on your experience and confidence in each of the 3 disciplines (S/B/R), you may want to do a series of sprints and/or olympics, because a sprint/oly is not merely a short version of a 1/2 IM. The training approach is SO DIFFERENT, it's like the difference between "training" for a 5K and a marathon, regardless of whether or not you are "racing" it. There's so many moving parts with triathlon training. A sprint is 1h-2h, but a 1/2 IM can be up to 8 1/2 hrs! (where1/2 IM winners finish in under 4h...). I will tell you that starting off as a marathoner, I thought the leg strength and endurance would translate into cycling and that swimming long-distance would be my challenge, but turns out that cycling was the hardest thing to master! and I'm obviously still trying to improve (along with the swim & run). It took me 1.5-2 yrs to REALLY feel like I was "good" on my bike (handling skills, long rides, gear selection, leg strength and hill-climbing technique).
    You are an experienced swimmer, but there is a technique to triathlon swimming that will save your legs for the bike and the run (i.e. minimal kicking!). Regardless, the swim is the shortest leg (time-wise) of the race; the bike (which is your weakest discipline it sounds like) is 55-60% of your race (again time-wise). Since your dad is a cyclist, you can definitely use him as a resource and training partner for long rides. Finally, in triathlon, the run is 20% training, 80% mental, since it's last.
    I hope that this is helpful info! I'm happy to support you in every way, so please feel free to message me directly at any time!