Lose belly fat before starting weight training

Options
So like everyone here, I'm trying to lose weight (mostly around my mid section). I joined a local gym and have been going regularly.

I have been doing the "Ultimate Beginner 3-Day Full Body Workout" which is:

Crunches
Bench Press
Flyes (Dumbbell, Flat Bench)
Pulldowns (Front, Wide Grip)
Cable Row
Shoulder Press (Seated, Dumbbell)
Arm Curls (Barbell)
Cable Pushdowns
Full Squats
Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Curls
Standing Calf Raises

I usually do a 10 minute cardio warm-up and a 20 minute cardio session after lifting.

On my "off-days" and days that I cannot devote the time to weights, I am doing 45 minutes of cardio.

I'm not sure if I should focus on getting rid of my belly fat before I take on a serious weight lifting routine. I only have about an hour 6 days/week that I can devote to working out.

I mostly want to be in shape, but I would like to increase my strength. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You should try Stronglifts 5x5
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I would do what you are doing right now for a while - that will burn some calories for sure, then ease your way into some heavy stuff.
    It's all about the technique too, so do your research. It is quite easy to injure yourself doing weights if you do them wrong (or even just be not as effective as you could be)
    Slower is better and constant motion. However, there are lots of different theories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it looks like you are doing way too much upper body work.

barbell squats and dead lifts are a must. i find that the more i work out my legs, the more my mid section starts to shrink.

check out strstd.com for a 5/3/1 plan.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    quit doing leg extensions
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A serious weight lifting routine would probably be the best way to lose that midsection - why would you wait?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    No need to wait. Do it now, definitely consider a simpler program like Stronglifts 5x5
  • Hrcules
    Hrcules Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Why??? Did you read on the internet they were bad for you or something lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Why??? Did you read on the internet they were bad for you or something lol

go ahead tough guy...keep doing them
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a program that focuses on compound lifts like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5 x 5.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options

Interested to know why you believe this?
    They were the major rehab exercise after both my knee ops (as directed by the hospital physios and orthopaedic surgeons).
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Leg extensions are fine, but best after you are done doing squats :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Can't squat (lost too many bits out of my knee), the tearing sound from my knee also upsets other gym users...
    So are we saying there's nothing wrong with leg extensions?
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do leg extensions too (and several other leg iso exercises) since I was also told to do them by medical staff because of a knee injury years ago.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Check out the heavy lifting success pics on here and then consider the question again :)... I've seen several people get their quickest results with weight training. Good luck!
  • petrosker
    petrosker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses!

I took a look at the Stronglifts 5x5 program and think that I'm going to give that a shot for the intro period - 12 weeks. What do I have to lose, right? Except for weight, obviously.

Due to the holidays and traveling (lack of access to a gym), I'm going to start the program when I get back (Friday). I'm not leaving until tomorrow. Should I only do cardio today or do some sort of weight training for one day?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses!

I took a look at the Stronglifts 5x5 program and think that I'm going to give that a shot for the intro period - 12 weeks. What do I have to lose, right? Except for weight, obviously.

Due to the holidays and traveling (lack of access to a gym), I'm going to start the program when I get back (Friday). I'm not leaving until tomorrow. Should I only do cardio today or do some sort of weight training for one day?

Don'y worry about it for one day - get some cardio in if you want but it will be better to start weight training when you can dedicate the time for consistency.