Is Protein Good for Losing Weight?

Options
I usually have a protein smoothie (like a small muscle milk or my own made smoothie) and greek yogurt and fruit in the morning for breakfast. Usually have one after I work out (usually burn about 600-700 calories per day per workout).

I was under the understanding protein helped make you feel full. Then someone told me it's for gaining weight. I know a lot of it is used for muscle building...even though your body can only take so much & the rest is wasted...that's not what all those bottles of protein powder say. My own dr. told me your body can only take so much protein (just like vitamins) and then you basically pee out the rest. But that's not what these "muscle building, mass building" bottles of protein say. Like I said, I'll have one in the morning and one at night, then the occasional greek yogurt that has some protein in it.

Wrong move?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Be careful you aren't buying mass builder's (they are for building "size")
    Otherwise as long as you're under you're calories you are golden.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...My own dr. told me your body can only take so much protein (just like vitamins) and then you basically pee out the rest. But that's not what these "muscle building, mass building" bottles of protein say...
    Read this article/research review regarding protein intake:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

As for the original question, adequate protein intake will help spare lean body mass (of which muscle is a component) during weight loss, so in that sense it is "good" for losing weight. Beyond that, there's nothing magical about protein; it's not going to "rev up your metabolism", make you "bulk up", speed up your weight loss or anything else.

As far as weight gain, that all has to do with calories in - calories out. If you're staying in a caloric deficit, protein isn't going to make you gain weight any more or less than the other macronutrients (carbohydrates/fat) will.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    Ok thanks, yeah. Not doing mass protein. Mostly Muscle Milk Light & Ensure High Protein (because it has 14 oz & 210 calories)