caution: contains flatulence

Options
What is up with me?? I added some extra fibre into my diet, with some beans and red peppers and find myself completely gassed up? what gives? will this ever pass, i'm grossing myself out...I fart and gotta try to outrun it, into the next room, but it follows and i'm freaking foul! how am I ever gonna getta man smelling like crap and stink and grossy ewww stuff...seriously, we laughed about it at first...:Haha mom good one..now it's you're disgusting stop it mom....take it to the toilet will ya! lol...sorry guys, but this is killing me!! anyone having this problem? I mean seriously this is ridiculous! I can't hold my breathe no more, i'm gonna die from lack of clean oxygen.

Replies

• Cyndy2ys
    Cyndy2ys Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Beano-seriously-until your body gets used to the increase in fiber :-)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've heard eatting fennel helps? IDK have you tried Beno?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem and I don't even eat beans. (I have never liked beans) the worst part is when I toot while on the tredmill or another machine at the gym. If my face wasn't already bright red from working out it would be from that. I also get the burps from brocolli which is one of my favorite veggie.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    ya know, i've been wondering the same thing. Ever since I started eating more red peppers... :embarassed:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this happening when it's added quickly and the body isn't uased to it. Maybe cut your new "added" intake by half for a week, and then slowly increase it again. I promise, you will get used to it!
  • AmberRSkelton
    AmberRSkelton Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's the sudden increase in fiber! Your body will gradually adapt and you won't be so gassy. The Beano is probably the best short term solution.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ya know, i've been wondering the same thing. Ever since I started eating more red peppers... :embarassed:

But the red ones are soooo good!:happy: :love:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    What is up with me?? I added some extra fibre into my diet, with some beans and red peppers and find myself completely gassed up? what gives? will this ever pass, i'm grossing myself out...I fart and gotta try to outrun it, into the next room, but it follows and i'm freaking foul! how am I ever gonna getta man smelling like crap and stink and grossy ewww stuff...seriously, we laughed about it at first...:Haha mom good one..now it's you're disgusting stop it mom....take it to the toilet will ya! lol...sorry guys, but this is killing me!! anyone having this problem? I mean seriously this is ridiculous! I can't hold my breathe no more, i'm gonna die from lack of clean oxygen.

Don't eat a Fiber One Bar then.....nasty gas!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    They just did a segment on this issue on "The Doctors" last week. I had just finished watching a DVRed show, and had to back up the Doctors segment because it caught my attention. :huh: You see, I started increasing my fiber. :bigsmile: And my loving wife told me that if I didn't stop eating those Fiber One Chewy Bars that she would either divorce me or put a pillow over my head until I stopped thrashing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, the one of the doctors said "Revel in your smell" because it means you are eating healthier. :noway: I couldn't really go with that advice, because one evening I was outside walking the dog and I couldn't get away from my own cloud. :sick: It went everywhere in the yard!!!

Another doctor suggested drinking lots of water. I don't think that was for the smell, however.

What the doctors did assure was that it would get better. I can attest to this, because I tried something dangerous (especially around open flame :explode: ) and ate a large dose of fiber, with minimal gaseous effect. :drinker:

However, I am still convinced that with a high fiber diet you will be more susceptible to routine bouts of gas. You just have to find ways of masking the source. I like doing it near someone else, then moving along quickly!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your fiber? I have to avoid any high-fiber soy cereals like Kashi for this very reason.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I faced that problem when I was getting much of my fiber from grains... wasa crackers, fiber one cereal, fiber supplements, etc... when I cut most wheat out of my diet and got my fiber from veggies.... the flatulence got much better. But it was rough for awhile there and I HAVE a man - I was afraid I'd lose him! LOL!

Drinking more water DOES help - because your intestines absorb the water and are able to push along the contents of your intestines... so instead of just getting foul smelling air - you get to leave the stinky stuff in the toilet.

Also... if you're cooking with beans.... if you're using dried beans... make sure to soak them overnight... the soaking process will actually help to de-flatulize (lol - love making up words) the beans. If you use canned beans - soak them in hot water for about 30 minutes. I personally don't use canned because of the sodium content... and the dried ones are cheaper!
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Soaking dry beans in water overnight (or if you want to cook them at night, soak them in the morning so they're ready by the evening) helps dissolve the oligosaccharides (complex sugars) that cause the gas, making them easier to digest :smile: (it's those complex sugars interacting with the bacteria in your colon that cause the gas). The harder the bean, the longer it should soak for (soybeans= up to 24 hours since they're the hardest, beans like kidney/black/red which are hard for at least 8 hours, soft beans like navy, lima and pinto for at least 4 hours, and beans like split, lentil, fava and black eyed, since they're so soft, don't usually require much soaking if at all)

Here's an example of a chart I like with bean info on it: http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/bean-categories.html
    As it becomes a regular part of your diet, the gas should decrease, too:flowerforyou: Hope this helps!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've also found soaking dry beans is better than the canned ones.

Another thing to try, eat the stuff that is more fibery first, instead of later. Some of the stink can come from the stuff that needs to get out sooner sticking around in your system while harder to digest foods are processed. The result? More fermentation and stinky toots. Raw brocolli really gets me, as do onions. I've switched my meals around so I eat veggies first and then the meat etc and I haven't been as musical.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Sorry but some of these posts are making me laugh! I guess it's the 12 yr. old in me! lmao!:laugh:
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to play around with soaking the beans, I eat high fibre/high carb breakfasts..like kashi/oats/whole grain cereals, with that I have scrambled egg whites with peppers...again with the peppers and now beans to my dinner salads...I don't know what gives, but if I drink any more water i'll become a fish, I drink at least 10 500ml bottles of water a day, not including the water I drink when i'm in the gym. So things should be moving :laugh: :wink: ...I also snack on peppers/carots and celery through out the day..i'm tempted to axe the beans all together for now..cause not only is the stink bad but i'm starting to feel bloated..:sick:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this the past week, since my fiber intake has gone up a little (finally! I wasn't getting enough) ... noticed it a LOT today 'cause I've had whole grain cereal, black beans, popcorn, and later I'll have a fiber bar, some asparagus and chicken. But what I've noticed with me...mine don't smell! So I guess I got the long stick. :laugh:
  • 5326jan
    5326jan Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you sure it's the extra fiber? I tried NutriSystem and couldn't handle it b/c of the Malitol they put in the food. Maybe you're eating something that has a diet supplement or replacement in it that is causing the problem. At NutriSystem it's so common that it's called nutritoots, but it isn't funny. I couldn't stand to be around myself. Look at the ingredients of some of the other things you are eating to see if it could be a different culprit! And my sympathies to your family! ;o) :wink:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Don't eat a Fiber One Bar then.....nasty gas!

LMAO!!!! I agree with that one... :noway: (and I already eat a lot of beans and broccoli and such.. but those dang Fiber One Bars are KILLER :laugh: )
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    I soak my beans and have a carrot in the pan to absorb all the 'gassy culprits.' One time my friend ate the carrot after it had absorbed all the 'explosive material' and he was on the verge of meltdown. He had to leave my house out of embarrassment. HAHA! Things that make you go...BOOM!
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I love the Fiber One bars...weird I've never had a problem with them.