christmas holidays and diet?

Options
GOTTA BE HONEST I'M A LITTLE SCARED ABOUT CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS: THE POINT IS WHAT CAN I DO NOT TO RUIN 3 MONTHS OF DIET IN JUST FEW DAYS?WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    A couple of days with loads of calories will not undo what has taken 3 months to achieve

A comment I saw, and so true, is that it does not matter too much what you eat between Christmas & the New Year, it is what you eat between the New Year and Christmas that counts

So I can only say what I am doing is be a bit sensible but not spend all the time worrying about it and fretting. so keep the sweets to a small handful. not a bucket of mince pies, and eat your brussel sprouts before your second helping of roast potatoes :-)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Chill and enjoy the holiday..... Your not going to ruin your work with just a few days. Unless you just eat everything in sight...

People over think this. A few days off your diet isn't going to do anything. It's when you just let all self control go and can't get back on track that ruins people. The worst that might happen is you will gain some WATER weight from overeating and not any or much real weight.
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eat the goodies you like just don't eat a lot of it! I've lost weight through potlucks this month that way. It's about portion control:)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people panic so much!

All i'm going to have is a couple of glasses of wine and some Baileys, some xmas pudding and brandy butter, and that's it really for 'bad' stuff. My gym is closed for 2 days only but I'll probably still manage my 5 workouts. The worst that can happen is i'll put on maybe a lb or 2. I hope not because I will still be careful, but if you can't enjoy xmas......
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    GOTTA BE HONEST I'M A LITTLE SCARED ABOUT CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS: THE POINT IS WHAT CAN I DO NOT TO RUIN 3 MONTHS OF DIET IN JUST FEW DAYS?WHAT DO YOU THINK?

For me, the holidays won't ruin my "diet" because I'm not on a diet...I've been making decisions and teaching myself new good habits that have slowly, but surely, been changing my lifestyle. So because I've been changing my mind, not just my body, I know the holidays won't be a problem :)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    A few days of splurging will not ruin 3 months of hard work. The only way it ruin it is if you fall off the wagon and choose not to get back on. I think that is where some people run into problems. They splurge a couple times, then think they ruined their diet, so why not keep eating like that?

If you eat more than you're daily limit a couple times, it's fine, trust me. Just get back to your normal food and exercise routine afterward! Enjoy the holidays and eat the holiday food in moderation, if you can. You can still enjoy the food without going overboard. Don't fear food and enjoy this time with your family and friends.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Depends how much you overeat/ over drink and, moreover, for how many days. You physically cannot gain more than a couple of pounds of fat in two days - 7000 extra calories? - but you can gain plenty if you overeat/ drink for two weeks. You might gain several pounds in water weight over two days if you overdo the salt and carbs having been previously heavily restricting them, but that is not fat and can come off again very quickly.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    THE POINT IS WHAT CAN I DO NOT TO RUIN 3 MONTHS OF DIET IN JUST FEW DAYS?
    No, the point is you can't ruin 3 months of diet in just a few days. :smile: Enjoy the holidays, just don't go completely overboard, and get back on track after those few days.

For me, I want to enjoy all the goodies, both dinners and sweets, and to enjoy them I have to NOT stuff myself - then I feel too full and yucky and the food ceases to be enjoyable. Take small portions, you can always get a little bit more if you truly want it and have room for it.

But you won't undo three months of progress in just a few days.