HELP! I want to cook asparagus tonight..but do not know how.

Options
Hey all!

I bought some fresh asparagus in hopes of trying it. I want a healthy and delicious meal. So I plan on cookin chicken with asparagus. I have NO IDEA how to cook asparagus. I have never really even eaten it...so if anyone could give me some advice on how to cook it, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Replies

• shannonstarr
    shannonstarr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    do you have a george foreman? If so...spray the foreman with butter and then spray asparagus with pam...and grill on there for about 4-5 minutes! or to your liking....

if not...put in oven like on 450? with tsp of olive oil and or pam....
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like to baked it. I just lay them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle it will olive oil and sea salt bake at 350 for about 10min. Or I like to do them same on the grill but wrap it in tin foil.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You could also just dry fry it in a pan. Coat in a little olive oil, and then just stick it in the pan, Griddles are best though.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    You can also steam it.

But it's good griddled or roasted too. Is it already prepared? If not, you will need to break the stems at the end, where they are bendy.

Enjoy!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    What to Do With Asparagus
    To prepare asparagus, you will need to rinse the spears and break off the tough ends. After that, how you cook asparagus is up to you.

Purists enjoy their asparagus with nothing more than a drizzle of good-quality olive oil, but you can enjoy asparagus in many different dishes: in soups, salads, stir-fries, risottos, scrambled eggs, pasta, and many more dishes besides.

# Steaming: First, you need to tie a bundle of asparagus spears together with kitchen string, just under the tips and also near the bottom, making sure the bottom ends are level. Place the bundle in a tall pot of 2 inches of boiling water, unless you have your very own asparagus steamer. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears. While the ends of the asparagus are being boiled, the tips are actually being steamed. The end result should be bright green, crisp yet tender spears.
    # Boiling: Lay the asparagus spears in a large skillet with about an inch of water. Boil for up to 5 minutes, depending on thickness of the spears.
    # Blanching: If you are using the asparagus in salads or for other cold dishes, plunging the boiled or steamed asparagus in cold or iced water as soon as they are done immediately stops the cooking process and helps preserve the color and crispness of the asparagus.
    # Microwaving: Lay asparagus in a microwave-safe baking dish, with tips towards the center. Add about a 1/4 cup of water; cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes. Roasting: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lay asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast for 8-10 minutes.
    # Stir Frying: Cut spears diagonally into 1 1/2 inch to 2-inch pieces, and stir fry with a teaspoon of sesame or olive oil for 3 minutes.
    # Roasting: Place asparagus on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and roast in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of the spears. Or, instead of using cooking spray, drizzle a little olive oil over the asparagus before roasting.
    # Grilling: Place asparagus spears on a preheated (medium-high heat) grill sprayed with olive oil spray and cook for about 5-8 minutes until tender, turning occasionally
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    Lightly coat in olive oil, a giant ziplock is wonderful for this. Roast in a baking pan or cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees. I made five pounds that way for Easter dinner and it's all gone :(
  • anume25
    anume25 Posts: 19
    Options
    baked is good or grill it.doesnt take long on the grill. if you grill it dont take ur eyes off of it..lol
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've always just boiled it until it was tender. Then I drain it, toss it in the fridge for a few hours, and serve chilled.
  • spicespice04
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has done this, but my mom used to boil it, like broccoli. It makes them tender, but just make sure that its not in the water for too long, otherwise it will get soggy.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    do you have a george foreman? If so...spray the foreman with butter and then spray asparagus with pam...and grill on there for about 4-5 minutes! or to your liking....

That is the BEST way to cook it ~ in my opinion anyways:flowerforyou: enjoy!!
  • brunsie
    brunsie Posts: 54
    Options
    I put a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning and parmesan on them, toss around and bake for about 20 minute.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Snap the ends off (the bottom, larger ends -- they are not as tender). Then just sautee them in a frying pan on medium to medium-high heat in some Pam. I like salt and lemon juice on mine. It only takes about 5 minutes to pan-cook, you'll know it's done when the tips start to wilt a little bit.

It's wonderful on the grill, too! Just spray with pam and season and roll it around for a few minutes.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely think the best way to cook asparagus is to roast it. Coat it in a little olive oil. Add some minced garlic or garlic powder & a little salt. Put it in a 400*F oven for about 20-30 minutes depending on how thick the asparagus is (I like mine a little more done than some people do, I guess). YUM!

(Oh, and don't be startled if your... um.. urine smells funny for a while after you eat it. Asparagus does that to some folks, myself included. I had never heard that before & the first time it happened I thought something was VERY wrong. :laugh:)

Edit: And as someone above suggested, do snap the bottom ends off. You can snap one, and then, to save time, just cut the others with a knife around the same place.
  • spicespice04
    Options
    haha I wrote that before I saw everyone else's reply.. I'm glad others do it this way too!
  • denisenkids
    Options
    When I eat it (which I love it) I cut off the ends, cut to bite size peices, put in lightly salted water, boil for about 20 minutes, I like them warmed, still crunchy. I do not put anything else on it due to the fact A) it tastes good just like that B) I am still trying to loose weight. However I did used to put a little butter on it.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely think the best way to cook asparagus is to roast it. Coat it in a little olive oil. Add some minced garlic or garlic powder & a little salt. Put it in a 400*F oven for about 20 minutes (I like mine a little more done than some people do, I guess). YUM!

I agree! I use a little olive oil, crushed garlic and some mrs. dash (original one). Although I did it on the grill (mix ingreds and wrap in foil) yesterday since we were already smoking a pork loin. :love:
    I prefer mine cooked just until a fork goes in easily, still a little crunch when you bite into it.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We had some yesterday - and we used a Glad or Ziploc steaming bag - and just steamed it. We kept it nice and crisp - but you can then drizzle with olive oil, or lemon, maybe a little garlic (Or combine all three into a light dressing). I prefer the thin skinny ones as I can eat them all - otherwise the thicker ones are "woody".
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I do a light coating of olive oil and sprinkle parmesan cheese over them then bake at 450 for 14 min.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my friend pan fried it with the lid on for 3 or 4 minutes in soy sauce. it was amazing!!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Since you already have so many cooking options I just wanted to give you a warning. Since you've never had asparagus before don't get freaked out in the bathroom tomorrow. Your pee is going to STINK. A lot. LOL, enjoy it though, it's tasty.