NO SURGERY WAY OF GETTING RID OF LOOSE SKIN??

Options
HI there all! I have a loooong way ahead of me and I want to be prepared! I asked some of the people here how they managed their loose skin and they have been extremely helpful, but I would want to ask something else!
1) I heard full body shapewears (including arms!) are a great way of fighting the loose skin AS WE LOSE THE WEIGHT (along with lots of water, moisturizing, taking vitamins, weight lifting and taking it slow of course!!)! Does anybody has any experience with this? I have two friends with a lot of excess skin that now don't have any option left but surgery so it's extremely important to me to do all the right things from the beginning (I heard a lot of people regretting they haven't used some of the ways I already mentioned- weights etc). So, help please? Also, can you recommend some brand, some certain model and such? I live in Canada, if that means anything, but I can order as long it's not too expensive.
2) What do you think about this
http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm?
Anybody an expert enough to tell us the truth, because it may very well seem logic to us but not being truthful at all? I read very mixed reviews on Amazon.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I doubt a body shaper would fight loose skin. Moisturizing will help (with the massage that comes along with it). If you lift weights, you'll build SOME muscle to fill up the empty areas. Unfortunately, time, gravity and age are also factors (you're losing collagen in the skin as you get older) that are hard to fight. IMO there is really no way to get rid of excessive loose skin except for surgery. I think losing weight slowly and regularly is good though; quick weight loss and yo-yoing up and down doesn't help either.
  • amyheatonfitness
    Options
    Slow and steady helps also doing toning as you are losing weight helps, it can be done without surgery I have several friends I have met through beachbody and facebook who have lost 100-150 pounds and done it the right way and have minimal hanging skin. It is all about combining diet, cardio, and toning. Don't let the fear of excess skin deter you from your journey :)
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The reason I decided to commit to lose my 100+ lbs. was because I was in such poor health in my mid 40's and had wasted my life away because of it. I can certainly understand your fear of having loose, flabby skin. But that is one of the things I have not let distract me. I'm almost 110 lbs. down and I do have some loose skin, but it is and was the very least of my worries. I have just started incorporating hand weights into my walking routine to tone my arms and I moisturize and drink lots of water, but if I'm being honest with myself (a must to be successful in this journey) I am still out of shape and overweight with belly fat. I'm still losing and will deal with this cosmetic issue later if need be, again the least of my worries. I know that loose skin and jiggly arms won't kill me on a healthy, fit body. On the flip side toned, but fat arms on an unhealthy body with excess weight, and a lifestyle of overeating and no exercise, can and will lead to an early death.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Totally understand! I have taken it off slowly, and followed all of the tips I can. I do have some loose skin issues in my arms tummy but not as bad as would have thought so far. And trust me, the loose skin looks MUCH better than the fat that used to be there!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression your skin will become less loose in time, especially at your age.
  • melneh
    melneh Posts: 25
    Options
    Slow and steady is a great wary to do it!! And keep that skin moisturized! I have also been doing velashape treatments on my upper arms and have noticed a huge difference in circumference and tightness of skin. I know velashape is in Canada but I think it is under a different name!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Genetics can play a huge part. Hydration and moisture will help but if genetics says you'll have it you can't really fight it. Same with stretch marks.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Actually I wanted to say that body shapers do help. When you have a baby by c-section they give you a body shaper to help with the loose skin to help it go back. All the things you mentioned and time. It takes your body time to catch up. The most amount of weight I lost at one point was over 100 lbs I was near you age and it did go back with all those things you mentioned but took about 9 months.

You are on the right track. Keep up the good work
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i believe like one poster said... alot has to do with your age, amount of weight lost, and how long you had the extra weight for... As you get older it becomes alot harder to tighten skin up... slow and steady weight loss will help. i dont know if it will completely tighten your skin up completely.... Good luck

Edit: oh i see your 22.... You should be able to get your skin to pull back naturally with time. Much easier when your Young!!!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    After what I did to my body- weighing over 300 lbs....there was no way around loose skin. I have some on my arms, belly, and my inner thighs. It isn't something that I let affect me or my daily life. My body looks so much better without the fat- and my health is that much better too. I wouldn't even worry about the lose skin- I wanted to get out of the prison of obesity. Body shapers work for me to have a nice flat appearance in my clothes, but I didn't even think about that when losing weight. I workout hard, lift heavy, and try and eat a diet that keeps me satisfied and healthy and don't worry too much about the skin. :)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of what has been posted re genetics, hidration and weights (all which I do). I have lost a lot of weight across my chest and had some issues there. Have found that swimming has really helped tone this area and things are perking up :blushing:
  • popopo011
    Options
    I wanted to thank anna lisa and flixie for the swimming tip, but honestly I feel most of the others just wrote what I have already said I know. And I do know it is not
    an excuse not to lose weight and I am really happy for all of you who don't care about that skin but I am 22 and I do. Also, I wanted to post so I would bumpp it again.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilac_meddow
    Options
    i believe like one poster said... alot has to do with your age, amount of weight lost, and how long you had the extra weight for... As you get older it becomes alot harder to tighten skin up... slow and steady weight loss will help. i dont know if it will completely tighten your skin up completely.... Good luck

Edit: oh i see your 22.... You should be able to get your skin to pull back naturally with time. Much easier when your Young!!!

I'm 28... I'm not too sure if my ski has the same elasticity.... but I think I'm still in the same boat as the original poster... I still think I'm young and I still want to look good in a bikini :-P I want to exhaust all possible options before resorting to surgury
  • MzMandi1025
    MzMandi1025 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does body building & I told him that one of my concerns was loose skin. I have about 66 lbs to go just to get back into the healthy range & I was terrified of having hanging skin everywhere. He told me that cardio & toning will help with pulling it all back together.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad there is atleast some hope for the loose skin.
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My mother was obese. She was over 300 pounds. She lost the weight and did not have any loose skin. But, my mother also did not have deep stretch marks.

I, on the other hand, weighed almost 300 pounds when I had my second child. I lost over 100 pounds and I have very loose skin. My arms have deep stretch marks in the back, as well as my stomach. I'm just writing this to say that sometimes age does not matter. I am 26 years younger than my mother. I have what I refer to as "weak" skin. I bruise easily. I don't heal in my weaker skin areas as quickly as someone with more elastic skin.
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but thought I share my 2cents with loose skin

I have had loose skin since I was 18! Yes 18! from a pregnancy which saw me put on 35kgs and my belly was massive, got covered i stretchmarks and on my hips and thighs right down to my calves. So age has nothing what so ever to do with it. I deff think it's to do with how slow you lose the weight (I lose it quite quickly after pregnancies except for this time, 3rd time, and I'm 26 now) and genetics. I have a wrinkly stretched mark stomach from the first pregnancy and some loose skin on my thighs, not too much but I do notice it. My boobs are all saggy and disgusting lol.

Anyway nothing has helped, it is what it is and I'm very very slowly coming around to accepting it. We are our own worst critics, right?

I'll be happy to look sexy as in clothes and not naked. My husband's never seen me naked in full light anyway hehe
  • ShrinkinAmberina
    Options
    Although I agree the loose skin is not the most important when losing , it is still important to many especially if you already have some from pregnancy or whatever. Im doing all I can to help with my skin to improve it and even though it may be inevitable for me that it will happen I refuse to just do nothing and say its just skin. I do all sorts of natural techniques for my skin and im also big into biking and just started arm weights... ill do what i can but ide love more suggestions if anyone has any that arent surgery.