Too much Protein??? Help!

Options
Okay so i've been keeping track of my protein for the past couple of weeks. I have come to notice that 3-4 times per week i go over by Protein intake by at the most 50%... Is that bad? I never thought too much protein could be bad for you, but I've been hearing mixed things... Its usually all lean chicken and fish.. but Does anyone have any idea??? I'm worried i might gain weight because of it.... I'm welcome to any and all imput :):smile:

Replies

• sexyby2008
    Options
    Okay so i've been keeping track of my protein for the past couple of weeks. I have come to notice that 3-4 times per week i go over by Protein intake by at the most 50%... Is that bad? I never thought too much protein could be bad for you, but I've been hearing mixed things... Its usually all lean chicken and fish.. but Does anyone have any idea??? I'm worried i might gain weight because of it.... I'm welcome to any and all imput :):smile:
  • littlespoon
    Options
    A leaflet that my trainer gave me a the gym said that if you do three light exercise sessions per week, then you should have 1 gram per 1kg (2.2lbs) of your bodyweight. eg if you weigh 50kg then have 50gm of protein per day. If you do more exercise then eat more protein or vice versa
    The leaflet also says that if you have too much protein you will put on weight and feel heavy, sluggish, constipated and unhealthy. If you have too little protein you will feel weak, tired and dull and your moods, energy and concentration levels will be erratic.

So I would say listen to what your body says (based on the above) and see what amount suits you.

:)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Most people go over on their protein. If memory serves, the average American gets twice the amount of protein they need.

I've been a veggie for over 20 years and people always ask me how I get enough protein. It's really unusual for me not to get enough, so if you are a meat eater, it's difficult for you not to go over.

In case you are not metric, like littlespoon, just divide your weight in half and that's how many grams you need. 150 lb person would need 75 grams of protein - but the extra will not hurt you, unless you are not getting enough other nutrients (as in the Atkins diet).
  • sexyby2008
    Options
    thank you!! that helped me out quite a bit!:smile:
  • whamoooo
    Options
    Too much protein strains the kidneys. To avoid that, I am eating a lot of egg whites. If you put eggs out in the open, they don't smell as bad as meat after a few days. My cardiologist told me this story. Egg whites are more bio-available than meat -- better quality protein.