Weighing in.

Options
Those of you who are successfully losing, how often are you weighing in on the scale?
I'm about two weeks in and feel obsessed with weighing. How do you all suggest I overcome this?

Replies

• crbf
    crbf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this for about a week, but I know that for me it's best to weigh in once a week. I also measure once a week. A good way to overcome the constant weighing is to just put the scale away in a cabinet or somewhere out of sight. As they say, "Out of sight, out of mind". Just as long as you have a reminder to check in every week. That's just what I do.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I weigh in maybe once every other week, or once a month. The numbers on the scale are meaningless if I keep seeing results in the mirror and the gym.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, 1st thing in the morning. I weigh constantly because I'm curious and drink lots of water and sweat a lot when I run.
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I weigh in maybe once every other week, or once a month. The numbers on the scale are meaningless if I keep seeing results in the mirror and the gym.

^This
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday but dont worry about it too much because alot of times sodium will make it higher. Just watch
    the numbers on the calories in and calories out and make sure you stay under goal.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I weigh before and after each workout to ensure that I am properly hydrating my body. I don't record daily fluctuations.
  • calajane
    Options
    When I was doing the Dukan diet, I was weighing myself every day . I could feel th obsession developing and that's not healthy, so I stopped. Now I eat all kinds of food and only weigh myself once a week at most. Usually every two weeks.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day, but I also know to treat the scale as only a tool. I change my readings at MFP when the number goes down. I also take measurements and notice the fit of my clothes.

Ten years ago I weighed myself daily and used my weekly average. The average provides a smoother downward trend than either daily or once-weekly weighings and it shows that daily fluctuations are meaningless as long as you are staying on track:

8058380998_ed08a62411_z.jpg

Below is a graph from last month, showing what happens when I log losses only. Those longer stretches between marks are where fluctuations and mini-plateaus happened -- but you can see that the weight trend is still downward:

8201655736_9296c6999c_z.jpg
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. It's kind of an obsession. I just make sure that I don't let the numbers get me down. Like today I weighed in a was 2lbs up but I've been eating hot sauce for the last 2 days so I'm sure it's my sodium intake because I have not gone over my daily calories. I just record my weight when it lower than the last recorded weight.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I weigh very rarely because I am on a super slow weight loss track. At least two weeks, maybe as many as 5 weeks go buy between weighings. I always see good results.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in every morning -- helps me better gauge what's going on with my body and how a certain days food/exercise effects my body. Keeps me accountable too. It's really just while I'm losing weight that I weigh that often. When I get down to maintenance I weigh-in a lot less, like once a week just to check that I'm still on-track.
    I do measurements once a month though..around the 15th.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Once I swithced from a high deficit with a lot of cardio to a very small deficit and a lot of weight training I slowly stopped obsessing over the scale and calories. Now if I'm up a little on either I don't feel like a failed since I'm slowly gaining muscle. Slow but it feels so much more like a permanent change and on the rare occasions I'm up a pound or two I know ill get it back after a few weeks or even a few good nights sleep.
  • pairofJeans92
    Options
    Depends...but about once a week. Only in the mornings, right after I get up and pee (what you pee out would normally show up on the scales). If I weigh in every day, I just get obsessed and I don't feel I see any change.
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    I'll try my best to steer clear of the scale for at least a week. Oh that's gonna be hard!!
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight from my heighest weight, I only checked the scale once a week, first thing in the AM. Now I am in maintenance (/still losing ... partially because I want to partially because I can't help it) and I check the scale daily. It can definitely get obsessive. I'd advise sticking with once a week if you can.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    We have a Friday Weigh in. Look under Community then groups you will find us. Everybody is welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, same day & time.