Asmatics

Options
I am wondering how you guys stay fit with your asthma. Sometimes I can do a full workout, others I last 15 minutes before feeling like I'm going to die, literally. I need to get my weight off to be able to be healthier, not only with asthma but also with the threat of heart issues and diabetes that ate in my family. HELP!

Replies

• carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The topic should read "Asthmatics". I promise I know how to spell Asthma. Haha.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I got bit by this pretty hard this morning, even after just having taken my Advair. I just push through it, trying to remember to breathe a bit slower and from my lower abdomen. If I start to really lose it, I'll slow it down a little and use my rescue inhaler. I admit though - I can't run. :( I keep it at 4mph on the treadmill and I can do an hour plus another 1/2 hour of fairly intense lifting after without much problem. But for some reason this morning, I had a really tough time... It's also taken me 4 years to get to this point of success. :\
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I use my inhaler before I run or do a longer intense cardio workout. My doctor says keeping up with my workouts should improve the symptoms. There have only been a couple of times that I forgot to use my inhaler first and I felt like I really needed it, so I suppose he's right!
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The more & more you exercise the better it gets, you will also notice your asthma is better when you have colds etc. For me it was always just a case of doing as much as you physically can every time.
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used my emegency inhaler before my workouts, kept a sweatshirt on until I was warm/started to sweat, made sure my water wasn't too cold, and I still don't excercise outside in cold weather. If I start to have an asthma attack, I walk around the track holding my arms above me head ( I pretend I am stretching my arms). I lost enough weight (15 lbs) and stayed with my workouts and now I am off all medications except for my emergency inhaler. Usually, the date on my inhaler expires before I finish it. My allergies will act up during spring and fall and that will make my asthma flare up and when that happens I will take an OTC med for a couple of days. It does impact my workout but I try to drink extra water and keep going. Our gym has a steam room so I try to make time for using that and it seems to help my symptoms.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I got bit by this pretty hard this morning, even after just having taken my Advair. I just push through it, trying to remember to breathe a bit slower and from my lower abdomen. If I start to really lose it, I'll slow it down a little and use my rescue inhaler. I admit though - I can't run. :( I keep it at 4mph on the treadmill and I can do an hour plus another 1/2 hour of fairly intense lifting after without much problem. But for some reason this morning, I had a really tough time... It's also taken me 4 years to get to this point of success. :\

I'm on advair AND singulair daily, and my doctor has me pre-medicating with albuterol before exercise. In almost 11 months I have yet to have to use my inhaler DURING, or after a workout. Many times I feel better AFTER using the treadmill than I do when I start.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Not all asthma is triggered by exercise anyway, the general recommendation is not to exercise in extremes of temperature, carry your inhaler, do a longer than usual easy pace warm up and cool down. Some find the breath control in yoga and pilates is of benefit. Also be sure you are consistently eating an anti-inflammatory nutrient dense diet, the omega-3s in oily fish and antioxidants in numerous plant foods can be beneficial in asthma, eczema and hayfever for example.
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    losing weight is a calorie game, not a cardio game, lose the weight, and it will be easier.

I have had asthma since i was a kid, at 265lbs i was on advair twice a day, and rescue occasionally...........now at 190ish, I am on rescue only, and only occasionally..............no cardio needed
  • henn1230
    henn1230 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed I can do when my asthma has been bad is to start panicking when my heart rate picks up and my breathing gets a bit labored. Relaxing, backing off a bit, and reminding myself that I just used my emergency inhaler helps, as does letting myself work out at a less strenuous level for a day or two. The important thing is to keep moving.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but my husband is asthmatic and he does much better after losing weight and exercising. When he flares up, he does yoga on the wii and other wii fit exercises. Staying out of cold air helps him a lot. I would say, do the best you can and focus on weight loss until the asthma gets under better control
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have to take Zyrtec daily and use my inhaler if it's cold out and even if I open the window while I'm on my treadmill. Don't give up! Try walking first, keep your inhaler with you and make sure you keep seeing your Dr. if you have problems. It gets a lot easier after losing just 10lbs.

ETA: I also have to warm up longer that most people. 10 or so before I can run.. I'm not sure why but I do. I also do a long cool down and I always shower right away to get allergens off me, plus the 10 buckets of sweat!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    The more & more you exercise the better it gets, you will also notice your asthma is better when you have colds etc. For me it was always just a case of doing as much as you physically can every time.

I agree. I became a runner because I wanted it so badly. I never could run as a kid without turning purple. I learned to run as adult through a lot of hard work.
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I have asthma and i do cardio every day and am still over weight. I use a steroid puffer but i have found by getting breathless that that has helped my asthma heaps. If i get weezy i just take my Ventolin but all in all exercise has helped heaps.
  • jaybird110
    jaybird110 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Losing weight helps for sure. I can tell the difference in ten pounds.
    The other major thing is cardio and working out. If I use my inhaler before and exercise indoors (treadmill or stationary bike) I usually don't have any problems. It's tougher to exercise outside - lots of allergens, extreme temperatures, humidity.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get your asthma under control with a control inhaler (like Asmanex), and a rescue inhaler 15-30 minutes before workouts and as-needed. Over time as you get fitter you may need the inhalers less and less. Good Luck!