Toning for skinny girls?

Options
I've finalized the decision to change my goal to maintaining between 98-100 pounds instead of losing weight, because I'm finally starting to realize that I'm already thin enough for my height. I'm 5'0, and 18 years old. I've struggled with anorexia nervosa with bulimic tendencies for the past seven years, and have just recovered this year. I've been this weight for awhile, and I feel horrible about myself because after recovering from a bout of mono that left me bedridden, I lost nearly all of my muscle composition and definition. I feel like I'm fat, although I know logically I do have a thin body. However, skinny fat is still unattractive to me. The old thoughts are starting to come back, because I feel so low.

How can I get my mentality back on track, and what are some good ways to tone up?

Thank you for all of your support guys!

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    you should check out those workout videos like insanity and p90x. I think insanity doesn't require much equipment though. I had some co workers who did it (males) and they leaned out pretty well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to get you the results you're looking for.

If you have access to a gym or home gym, look in to New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Stronglifts 5x5. I prefer SL of the two, but they're both good,

If you don't have equipment to use, try the book "You are Your Own Gym". It's a well developed program of bodyweight strength training with regular household items to use for certain exercises.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So, I hate the word tone. There is muscle and fat. By manipulating the ratio of muscle to fat, you can achieve a look where a little muscle shows through because your fat is low enough.

Eating disorders notoriously waste muscle, so you probably have exceedingly low muscle mass. Building muscle, then would be the best course of action. To do this, you should eat at a small (~250cal/day) surplus and complete progressive resistance training. Heavy weights are the most obvious way to do this, but if you google, I'm sure you can find bodyweight programs if you're at home. Just make sure it is progressive, in that you can always make it harder as you get stronger.

Good luck!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to say that the single best thing I've ever done for my self esteem is start lifting. It makes me feel powerful and strong and in control of my life like I've never felt before.If it is at all an option to start lifting, I'd suggest that even without the awesome physical benefits!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    So, I hate the word tone. There is muscle and fat. By manipulating the ratio of muscle to fat, you can achieve a look where a little muscle shows through because your fat is low enough.
    Kudos! I won't go into explaining it, but the fitness industry tried to bamboozle females with this word.

For the OP, understand that if you are planning to get back some of that muscle you lost, you'll need to eat more than you are now and your weight will go up. Muscle don't fill up with air. It will require more calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Eating disorders notoriously waste muscle, so you probably have exceedingly low muscle mass. Building muscle, then would be the best course of action. To do this, you should eat at a small (~250cal/day) surplus and complete progressive resistance training. Heavy weights are the most obvious way to do this, but if you google, I'm sure you can find bodyweight programs if you're at home. Just make sure it is progressive, in that you can always make it harder as you get stronger.

Good luck!

^^^^^ THIS. A million times this. Very well said :D