Hamstring

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
I'm having real issues with my left hamstring right now and want some advice.

Running to first a week ago I felt it twinge. Was sore for the rest of the night but that's it. Next day, same thing running to first twinges again. Continued playing and no pain when pitching. (Softball)

It's been sore pretty much ever since. I've rested it with no exercise for a week. Did gentle swimming two days ago and yesterday did the swimming again and a walk along the beach which was 2.6km. Sore again today.

Someone on my friends list mentioned that I could be back issues. Any advice on how to make it better?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    does it hurt to bend your knee ?

have you tried foam rolling or self massage (tee hee)? if it's hamstring i think those things might help
  • Lozze
    Options
    Nope no pain when bending knee
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt when you stretch it? Also when you put direct pressure on it? And is there any bruising on your hamstring or behind your knee? If so, then you may have a mild hamstring strain.
    I've done it twice in 10 years running with bursts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zx0810r
    zx0810r Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hamstring and back pain can go hand in hand.

Make sure you stretch them out nice and well. My hammies used to be so tight they would pull down on my back hard. I made sure to start stretching them out before, during, and after my workout like it was my job.
  • Lozze
    Options
    Niner when I stretch its painful, but not when I put direct pressure on it. No bruising either.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor & check it out. I thought I "pulled something" in my upper hamstrings & the "something" turned out to be tendons. So all the stretching I was self-medicating with only worsened the problem.... Feel better soon!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you think it could be strained, DO NOT STRETCH IT for a few weeks. Gentle massage to keep the collagen from laying down in clumpy painful trigger points is better in the long run.

Sciatic pain doesn't normally ache or cause soreness (but it can...although the pain "quality" is different). Sounds to me like some sort of strain or overuse injury. Both of those will heal with lots of love (gentle massage, ice, eventually starting on eccentric work until you can walk/run without pain) :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Niner when I stretch its painful, but not when I put direct pressure on it. No bruising either.
    Mild sprain then. Usually happens in hamstrings because of flexibility.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lozze
    Options
    Mild sprain then. Usually happens in hamstrings because of flexibility.

Thanks niner. I've been meaning to start a stretching program (to fix this problem!) would it be ok to start straight away?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If it's a sprain and the pain is mild, yes.

IDEA Fitness member